What ever happened to Real TEA???
Jan 17, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #76 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You think the British *grow* tea?

Nope, they blend teas.

And, while taking note of the classic British "taste" for foodstuffs (if we can call it that), their tea blends generally meet the same inherent expectations we (generally) apply to their cuisine...

'nuff said.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #77 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get some tea from TeaGschwender their website is Teamerchants.com

I would like to promote the quality of the tea and the very fair pricing. Most of the stuff being sold as looseleaf tea in the store right now is just crappy by comparison. Plus, they give you instructions on the teas. I like to maybe go a bit lighter on the blacks and whites while a bit heavier on the Greens and Oolongs.

My favs are:
First flush Darjeelings
Kabusecha
Sencha extra fine grade
Formosa Superior Taifu
Formosa Ming Xiang
their Bossa Nova is a really good tasting Tissain
Ceylon Highlands
China Pai Mu Tan
Neelgiri teas

I have a bunch more, but these are some of my favorites with the Sencha being a staple.

I also found this Summatran Oolong that looks like a a certain illegal drug and you would think that it is a green. However, it brews a medium golden liquid and tastes like an oolong. Good stuff if you like green and oolong, as this is a grey area.

If you live in an area with an Indian store, go there for the blacks. It won't look like great quality from the packaging, but trust me when I say that it is.

Then get a "Teaforone" stacking tea set. I got one for $8 from walmart and it is a nice thing to have.

I live on LongIsland, in NY. There is a whole town of people from India here called Hicksville, and theres lots of Indian stores there. Maybe they have some of that tea. Ill have to check.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #78 of 91
For the heck of it, i bought some coffee yesterday. Its a bag of the 7-11 store house blend. It was pretty good actually.
But the reason why i even brought it up is that ,on the package it said to put it in a tightly closed container after opening and to "put it in the freezer"
eek.gif
!!!

If you put coffee,tea,bread,cake,whatever ,in the freezer, it condenses the water in it and extracts it to the outside of the packaging and eventually dries the oils out of the coffee.
Blasted fools! And they sell coffee, bah!

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #79 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you put coffee,tea,bread,cake,whatever ,in the freezer, it condenses the water in it and extracts it to the outside of the packaging and eventually dries the oils out of the coffee.
Blasted fools! And they sell coffee, bah!

If your cofee beans are still whole, wouldn't the oils/water stays inside? I'm no cofee expert but I expect the bean's "shell" to be thick enough to keep oils and such, even if freezed or not.

On the other hand, if the beans have been grinded, I must agree with you.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #80 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your cofee beans are still whole, wouldn't the oils/water stays inside? I'm no cofee expert but I expect the bean's "shell" to be thick enough to keep oils and such, even if freezed or not.

On the other hand, if the beans have been grinded, I must agree with you.

Its a bag of GROUND coffee.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #81 of 91
If you are going to make your own coffe - do it the proper way.

Buy a Bag of Beans for $40 from columbia or whatever area of choice should be ~25lb bag (lasts years and stays good)

Buys a popcorn popper and modify the top. Best bean roaster there is and the cheapest. - just smelly and needs to be done outside.

Get a coffe grinder and a french press.

That is the way to make homemade coffee and roast a new group of beans once a month.

Eat that Starbucks!

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #82 of 91
I have the grinder (not a burr grinder yet tho) and i use a french press mostly. Easiest to clean. I wanted to see if it would taste like the coffee i get from 7-11. It kinda did, but not as smooth.

Now if i can just find that tea......

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #83 of 91
Not that its what im looking for originally, but im drinking a white/green tea blend with blueberry in it....really good
smily_headphones1.gif

I smell blueberries when i open the package.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #85 of 91
TenRensTea.com - Products I don't like helping adds, but the 103 is the greatest deal in "Tea History". nuff said.... I have about 50 types on hand, I guess I'm way to into it.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #86 of 91
This is a basic list
Fujian Tea Import and Export Co. LTD Jasmine Tea
This is a basic everyday Jasmine that comes in 1 pound cans so you see it used in places around town alot. Great deal and great smell to fill the house or shop. You will notice it as a mustard yellow can with brown and gold trim. Says Sunflower 1033 on top of box.

Jasmine Tea Teh Celup The Sosro Company
This is the famous Jasmine of Bali and Indonesia. They have factories that bottle this in glass and bring it to your house in Bali by the case. It does come in Tea-Bag form also. You can find it in the U.S. in little white pre-made boxs but it never has the quality of those little glass bottles.

Ahmad Tea Indian Tea Ghalami
This company is best known for their English Breakfast. If your into adventure or want a great basic golden tippy long leaf, this is what red tea is all about. A great deal in one pound box.

Shahrzad Barooti
This is one of the strongest reds I have found. Pure Indian Barooti.

Brooke Bond Taj Mahal Orange Pekoe
I have tried alot of Brooke Bonds over the years. This one seems less strong than I remember them being.

Carrefour Teh Asli
If your in Europe I guess this is standard stuff. I'll see if they have a web address for more purchases.

Kings Tea 103
This was a great find. In shops it's about $27.00 USD. This stuff is one of the best green teas I've ever had, and makes me wonder what the pricey ones have to offer. This is I guess alot like Hi-Fi, the more you spend the thinner the hair is split. They say you can reuse the raw leafs up to five times. As I thought I had always had green tea, I was woke-up so to speak by this treasure. There is also ginseng in it for an original energy drink effect.

AMAZON HERB COMPANY SHIPIBO RAINFOREST TREASURE TEA HERBAL BLEND. With Tahari, Chanca Pedra, Chuchuhuasi, Jatoba and Una de Gato. 40 Tea Bags
If the Kings Tea 103 does not work for ya, The mix in this with Yorba Matte is great and strong!

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #88 of 91
I'm a big fan of tea as well. I haven't really tried the more exclusive types (apart from a genuine Tibetan white tea once) but I really like Tetley tea and drink a cup every morning. I've tried coffee and pretty much despised it.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #89 of 91
In the 60's and early 70's , companies like Lipton, Tetley, and other common everyday brands in the USA used different tea in the bags, than they do today.
It was much stronger smelling and tasting, and smelled up the whole house when you made tea.
Today they fill the bags with a cheaper product made for iced tea, so ive heard, not for hot tea.

From what i hear, we can not get this tea anymore in the USA.
Only rich people in places like China have it, and keep it in their country for their own use, because its grown and harvested in small quantities only.
When Nixon was president and visited China and other countries to keep peace, the Chinese government used to send Him tea during the whole time He was in the Whitehouse.

I think most people are just impressed with the lower level tea we have here, and they dont even realize the difference, or that there is better tea.

Kinda like the people who buy Bose and swear its the best they ever heard, and there isnt better.

Ive tried so many teas locally now and still havent found it.

The dollar store has better Green Tea than the supermarkets here, and its 100 bags for $1.00.
Its Beauti-Leaf brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back