What ever happened to Real TEA???
Jan 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

Drag0n

Headphoneus Supremus
Tea in the United States is garbage now.
Ive tried tea from Gevalia, Teavana, and all these different companies supposedly selling high quality Tea, and they all stink(or should i say they dont STINK!!!???).

When i was a kid and my Grandparents made Tea, the whole house smelled like it. It was glorious!
Now, you couldnt smell the crap they try to pass off as Tea, if you swam in the pot and inhaled!!!

So, where can i get some real tea???

The last person i knew that had real tea was when the Chinese government sent Ex-President Richard Nixon Tea for the whole time He stayed in the WhiteHouse.

So wheres the REAL TEA????

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 91
didn't you get the memo?

we drink coffee now.

and the coffee we get is *glorious*. when I grind fresh coffee from whole bean, *then* the house smells like a coffee house
wink.gif

the US never knew from tea, anyway. who you kiddin'?

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 91
I've had british tea (traveled there many times) and US coffee.

at its best, all else equal, good coffee still wins me over.

fresh ground from whole bean, on the spot, makes all the diff. and a good espresso maker with proper pressure also makes a huge diff (I only drink espresso based coffees these days).

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 91
Oooo longggg goooooone tea!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 91
I had tea for the first time the other day (green tea) and it tasted like poorly flavored water and was very weak in comparison to coffee. This was also supposed to be high quality stuff.

Are black teas weak too? Do they taste like flavored water? I'm interested in finding if tea is good, but was sorta put off by my recent experience with it.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 91
I like coffee also, i drink both, and also wine, but i can find decent coffee and wine. What i cant find is really good tea. Its not like when i was a kid. Its bland.
Zodduska, thanks for the link, ill check it out now.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 91
Come on, this is America!
wink.gif

Coffee gained a lot of popularity in the late 18th century as a reaction against those tea-drinking imperialists. Not to mention the Tea Party. Tea was highly taxed and the colonists started developing other tastes. That's why coffee is a bigger part of the US culture than tea is.

Tea seems to be making a small comeback - there is a high-end tea shop in the mall across from the office. But it's still much easier to find a good cup of coffee.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had tea for the first time the other day ...

Are you serious?
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like coffee also, i drink both, and also wine, but i can find decent coffee and wine. What i cant find is really good tea. Its not like when i was a kid. Its bland.
Zodduska, thanks for the link, ill check it out now.

No problem! No affiliation with that site, I've just received the best teas from them. My personal favorites are the high mountain Oolongs. One thing to keep in mind though with good Tea is that the preparation is equally important as the quality of the leaf itself.
beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you serious?
tongue.gif

Yes.

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 91
There's a great tea place about 4 miles away from where I work. Excellent stuff.

However, it's hard other than that to find a good cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back