What does tuning an IEM really means?
Sep 1, 2017 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rrt2

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
newbie here, really tried searching everywhere but couldn't find what does tuning an IEM really mean? does it mean they change the size of internal tubing in IEM? do they change some electronic components internally to change frequency response, what do they exactly do physically, electronically, etc? to tune it. or is it as simple as changing some capacitive or resistive component like in radios? I would really appreciate if someone give the procedure of what exactly is being done there.
Regards.

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi Guys,
newbie here, really tried searching everywhere but couldn't find what does tuning an IEM really mean? does it mean they change the size of internal tubing in IEM? do they change some electronic components internally to change frequency response, what do they exactly do physically, electronically, etc? to tune it. or is it as simple as changing some capacitive or resistive component like in radios? I would really appreciate if someone give the procedure of what exactly is being done there.
Regards.

First of all welcome. First of all many of the reputed companies use balance armature drivers as a part of of their IEM (universal or customs). Please take this with a grain of salt to what I'm about to explain (as is my understanding of it) Based on what BA driver system they have in the IEM there is a certain level of ohms and impedance output from them which gives a frequency response. The IEM companies that build from one to multiple driver designs choose drivers based on size and type of ba's, size of acoustic tubing and dampers along with different crossovers which will give a specific frequency response across the frequency range.

In simple terms different IEM companies choose different components for their IEM offerings for different purpose, as an example Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors have a neutral flat frequency or UE TripleFi 10 is bass oriented, Shure brand concentrates more on the high and mid range frequency response and so on. Different IEMs Presented for different group of people for their applications. Hence you get the idea.

Regards,
DJBB

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi @DJBB Thanks you very much for your reply! yep i think i understand a bit now, i think there is still some learning curve before i can grasp it all! Thanks again.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi @DJBB Thanks you very much for your reply! yep i think i understand a bit now, i think there is still some learning curve before i can grasp it all! Thanks again.

You're very welcome. I too am learning as I am moving to the realm of DIY and make a CIEM of my own with multiple drivers. Just working out a few details of driver combo and crossover design to get a good overall frequency response before pulling the trigger to buy all the stuff required.

Djbb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back