What does IPod mean?
Dec 23, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
sigma, great post. Must've taken an hour to write that up.

Aww man....sigma quotes me & then gets the credit
frown.gif

I definitely burned some brain cells dreaming up that post...
icon10.gif

Peace,

Graz

Dec 23, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #33 of 49
It's actually based on the motto of Apple groupies:

"I, Pod."

Dec 23, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
A girl I know at school just got a whole wardrobe to match her pink Mini...please tell me you didn't go that far aeriyn
wink.gif

Of course not!

I got the pink because it matched most of my preexisting wardrobe.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Pretty
Over
Priced

I seriously don't get why everyone thinks the iPod is overpriced when it's at the same price point as every other HDD player that is comparable to it.

When I bought my mini, it was 249.95. So was the Rio Carbon and the Zen Micro.

Dec 23, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #35 of 49
The Rio Carbon can be had for $210 now at newegg, and the iPod mini for $250. The mini has a gig less storage.

When I got my karma, it was $290 @ newegg, and the iPod of corresponding HD space was $400. Considering it didn't have gapless, decent battery life(this was 3rd gen), or vorbis, I thought it was overpriced at $110 more. Right now, it's still $60 more than mine, more than the Creatives and more than the iRivers, and the only prevalent feature I can note is big advertizing.

Dec 23, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisp
The Rio Carbon can be had for $210 now at newegg, and the iPod mini for $250. The mini has a gig less storage.

When I got my karma, it was $290 @ newegg, and the iPod of corresponding HD space was $400. Considering it didn't have gapless, decent battery life(this was 3rd gen), or vorbis, I thought it was overpriced at $110 more. Right now, it's still $60 more than mine, more than the Creatives and more than the iRivers, and the only prevalent feature I can note is big advertizing.

Online, ohhh I see.

The continued high price of the iPod seems to me to be a combination of supply and demand combined with how well they hold their value compared to other MP3 players. I hardly ever see used iPods sell for much lower than what they were paid for.

Still, I'm happy with my purchase. I get it now though. =P

Dec 23, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Yeah, NeXTSTEP was very impressive... its too bad that it never really caught on. That and beOS are my favourite dead OSes.
cool.gif

Only the good die young, eh?
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
When I bought my mini, it was 249.95. So was the Rio Carbon and the Zen Micro.

Yep, and how soon we forget that when the Apple came out with the 4th gen iPods they were priced lower than many of their competitive counterparts, gigabyte for gigabyte. The competition was forced to follow Apple's lead and slash their prices.

Dec 23, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
Yep, and how soon we forget that when the Apple came out with the 4th gen iPods they were priced lower than many of their competitive counterparts, gigabyte for gigabyte. The competition was forced to follow Apple's lead and slash their prices.

The Karma was priced @ $240 at the time of the 4th gen's release. The creative 20 gig players were even lower($200-$220), and the Karma was at $240 for a while before the 4th gen iPod came out too in some stores. I don't know what competetion you're looking at.

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #43 of 49
if you want a dap with pda functions, just get the archos av5xx when it comes out... Its going to be quite a while before Apple is ready to make anything like that. They are just getting the whole 'photo' thing under wraps now.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #44 of 49
I have heard and believe the i in all of Apple's products to stand for "intrapersonal" as opposed to the popular belief of the i standing for internet. Think about it why would they name a program called iDVD that does not or is not meant to interact with the internet in anyway.

Intrapersonal - "Existing or occurring within the individual self or mind."

Coupled with the dictionary definition for the word Pod-

"A protective covering that encases the eggs or seeds of some insects, fish and plants"

"A detachable compartment on a spacecraft for carrying personnel or instrumentation."

"Something resembling a pod, as in compactness."

In the case of the iPod it seems to all fit. It is your own individual compact protective case for all of the musical seeds in your life. You can detach that music compartment from the confines of the mothership (your home music collection) and take your own protective sound bubble with you wherever you go.

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I agree, OSX is not a bad operating system [its quite good actually]... I'm just not overly impressed.
wink.gif

Just curious, what OS does impress you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back