What does IPod mean?
Dec 21, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 49
It's actually not an acronym, but just the word "Pod" preceded by the letter "i". I am not sure what exactly "i" stands for, probably something along the lines of internet or information. (Someone familiar with Apple can probably answer this definitively, since they use the i quite frequently) Many companies like to use "i" or "e" to denote information technology products and services. like the IBM eBusiness model. Pod just means a protective housing, container, or compartment. In this case one for digital music.

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 49
iBook
iMac
iPod
iTunes
iWhatever

i = internet

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 49
There are those that are still hoping the "Pod" part comes true. Before when everything else was a MP3 player, Apple added limited PDA functionality (and further extended by other third parties at least on the Mac). But it really hasn't progressed much since, unless you count the "Photo". There are those that thought it was going to be a multi-use device, kinda like the Airport Express, but who knows now.

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmpopfanatic
This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know what "IPod" means or stands for? I was just curious.

Lots of cash for Apple.

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Lots of cash for Apple.

pod = plenty of dough/dollars
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
ipod is flagship of apple's cool-lookingness-hide-the-real-crappiness-of-the-product marketing.

Yeah, except for the far more impressive than iPod, OS X.

Dec 22, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 49
It is just dopi spelled backward.

Actually I always thought it was Apple's marketing department (comprised primarily of 4th graders, I suppose) answering Microsoft's brilliantly juvenile habit of tacking "My" on the front of every freaking thing to give consumers (third graders) a warm fuzzy bond with their file system.

Just my guess, of course.

g-gerG

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Yeah, except for the far more impressive than iPod, OS X.

Oh yes, so impressive how they made freeBSD look pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back