What does IPod mean?
Dec 23, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #46 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
Just curious, what OS does impress you?

None of the current mainstream operating systems are doing anything all that innovative in my opinion. And the OS' that are not mainstream have no support and are two technically challenging for the average user. Its basically a loose-loose situation. I'll stick with Windows 2000 for now since it runs everything that I need and does not have needlessly puffy clouds everywhere [Windows XP].

If I had the money I would definately buy a new pimped out G5 as a backup computer. But I think my main computer would continue to be a PC for compatibility reasons and for gaming. I could see going back to a multi boot configuration on my next computer, but for now Win 2K has everything I need. I started out with a quad boot when I first built this computer [win98/win2k/debian/beOS], but my wife and I found that we were not using the other OS' as much and needed the space their partitions were using. So I repartitioned and havent looked back.
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #47 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
I have heard and believe the i in all of Apple's products to stand for "intrapersonal" as opposed to the popular belief of the i standing for internet. Think about it why would they name a program called iDVD that does not or is not meant to interact with the internet in anyway.

Intrapersonal - "Existing or occurring within the individual self or mind."

Coupled with the dictionary definition for the word Pod-

"A protective covering that encases the eggs or seeds of some insects, fish and plants"

"A detachable compartment on a spacecraft for carrying personnel or instrumentation."

"Something resembling a pod, as in compactness."

You left out the dictionary definition of the suffix "-pod":

"Foot; footlike part: pleopod"

I also checked on the prefix "i-" and was told that it is synonymous with the prefix "y-":

"A prefix of obscure meaning, originally used with verbs, adverbs, adjectives, nouns, and pronouns. In the Middle English period, it was little employed except with verbs, being chiefly used with past participles, though occasionally with the infinitive Ycleped, or yclept, is perhaps the only word not entirely obsolete which shows this use.

ex: That no wight mighte it see neither yheere. Chaucer."

The pilgrims from Chaucer might very well have enjoyed having an "ypod" with them on their travels. But then they probably wouldn't have had any reason to tell their stories and English literature would be much the poorer.

Dec 25, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #49 of 49
The American Heritage Dictionary offers the following varied definitions for "pod" (emphasis mine).

A dehiscent (I hadda look up that one too!) fruit of a leguminous plant such as the pea.
A dry, several-seeded, dehiscent fruit. Also called seedpod.
A protective covering that encases the eggs of some insects and fish.
A casing or housing forming part of a vehicle, as:
A streamlined external housing that encloses engines, machine guns, or fuel.
A detachable compartment on a spacecraft for carrying personnel or instrumentation.
Something resembling a pod, as in compactness.

Personally, I want to think Steve Jobs was watching 2001: A Space Oddyssey and when Dave said "Hal, Open the Pod Bay Doors" he had his new product's name....

smily_headphones1.gif

Grape Crusher

Users who are viewing this thread

Back