Dec 22, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 49
Insane People On Dope.
basshead.gif

Later.
DO!

Dec 22, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Oh yes, so impressive how they made freeBSD look pretty.

Whether or not you consider combining the stability of *nix/BSD with a nice-looking and user-friendly GUI an impressive technical achievement, it's nevertheless the best overall consumer OS on the market.

~KS

Dec 22, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #20 of 49
Wow, I have to say…this one was quite a challenge…

One cannot accurately derive the full meaning of “iPod” without first combining it with the prefix word “Apple”. Once properly conjoined to form the full phrase “Apple iPod”, we are then able to decipher the true meaning…

The word “apple” must first be divided into its two root syllables: “Ap” and “ple”

1) “ap” derives from a collection of ancient Nepalese monk chant scrolls (dating back to the 3rd millennium B.C.). Note that these pre-date the more contemporary & more widely accepted 1st millennium B.C. scrolls…but I’m guessing that most of you already knew that. Within these lesser known scrolls, the word “ap” loosely translates to “wish” or “I wish” (again, this is re-stating the obvious for many of you).

2) “ple” – For this word, we need look no further than the indigenous Assurini tribes of the Brazilian Amazon. The word “ple” (pronounced “pluh”) literally translates to “purchased” or “bought”. In this instance, the meaning more properly translates to “I bought” or “I’d bought”.

So, splicing together the two translated halves of the word “apple”, we arrive at the somewhat crude but highly accurate translation of:
I wish I’d bought
Frankly, this one was a gimme for me (and, I’m sure, for most of you as well).

“iPod” was a bit more of a challenge, but in the end (as you’ll see) it really wasn’t all that tough…

I first went to work on “Pod”. The word “pod”, from some of the earliest known Egyptian texts, translates to the modern English word “life”. To be a bit more accurate here, the exact texts referenced for this translation are from a little-known separatist clan commonly referred to as the “hedfyers”. The word “life”, on its own, does not fully convey the intended meaning here. As you know, civilizations throughout the history of mankind have regarded “water” as “life”. And, if we stretch the word “water” a bit further (and I have to give the Apple folks some credit here…they really did make a nice attempt at burying the true meaning on this one) and apply the previously mentioned Egyptian factor (and the Nile river’s obvious influence on their culture) to the term “water”, we’ve no choice but to conclude that “Pod” = “river”.

I have to confess, I was initially tempted to discard the “i” in iPod as nothing more than window dressing (or some lame marketing ploy), thinking that it was of no consequence or meaning. But spliced together in conjunction with the word “river”, we are left with a surprising (but indisputable) outcome: iPod = iriver !

So let’s put it all together people! “Apple iPod” = “I wish I’d bought an iriver”!

basshead.gif
eggosmile.gif
cool.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Peace,

Graz

Dec 22, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
Wow, I have to say…this one was quite a challenge…

One cannot accurately derive the full meaning of “iPod” without first combining it with the prefix word “Apple”. Once properly conjoined to form the full phrase “Apple iPod”, we are then able to decipher the true meaning…

The word “apple” must first be divided into its two root syllables: “Ap” and “ple”

1) “ap” derives from a collection of ancient Nepalese monk chant scrolls (dating back to the 3rd millennium B.C.). Note that these predate the more contemporary & more widely accepted 1st millennium B.C. scrolls…but I’m guessing that most of you already knew that. Within these lesser known scrolls, the word “ap” loosely translates to “wish” or “I wish” (again, this is re-stating the obvious for many of you).

2) “ple” – For this word, we need look no further than the indigenous Assurini tribes of the Brazilian Amazon. The word “ple” (pronounced “pluh”) literally translates to “purchased” or “bought”. In this instance, the meaning more properly translates to “I bought” or “I’d bought”.

So, splicing together the two translated halves of the word “apple”, we arrive at the somewhat crude but highly accurate translation of:
I wish I’d bought
Frankly, this one was a gimme for me (and, I’m sure, for most of you as well).

“iPod” was a bit more of a challenge, but in the end (as you’ll see) it really wasn’t all that tough…

I first went to work on “Pod”. The word “pod”, from the earliest known Egyptian texts, translates to the modern English word “life”. To be a bit more accurate here, the exact texts referenced for this translation are from a little-known separatist clan commonly referred to as the “hedfyers”. The word “life”, on its own, does not fully convey the intended meaning here. As you know, civilizations throughout the history of mankind have regarded “water” as “life”. And, if we stretch the word “water” a bit further (and I have to give the Apple folks some credit here…they really did make a nice attempt at burying the true meaning on this one) and apply the previously mentioned Egyptian factor (and the Nile river’s obvious influence on their culture) to the term “water”, we’ve no choice but the conclude that the “Pod” = “river”.

I have to confess, I was initially tempted to discard the “i” in iPod as nothing more than window dressing (or some lame marketing ploy), thinking that it was of no consequence or meaning. But spliced together in conjunction with the word “river”, we are left with a surprising (but indisputable) outcome: iPod = iriver !

So let’s put it all together people! “Apple iPod” = “I wish I’d bought an iriver”!

basshead.gif
eggosmile.gif
cool.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Peace,

Graz

LOL

Dec 22, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #22 of 49
hahahahahaha!

that's great.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But I lurv my pink mini. T.T

Dec 22, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
hahahahahaha!

that's great.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But I lurv my pink mini. T.T

A girl I know at school just got a whole wardrobe to match her pink Mini...please tell me you didn't go that far aeriyn
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
Whether or not you consider combining the stability of *nix/BSD with a nice-looking and user-friendly GUI an impressive technical achievement, it's nevertheless the best overall consumer OS on the market.

I agree, OSX is not a bad operating system [its quite good actually]... I'm just not overly impressed.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I agree, OSX is not a bad operating system [its quite good actually]... I'm just not overly impressed.
wink.gif

You would have been if you worked with it 15 years ago in its original incarnation as NeXTStep. Way, way ahead of its time.

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #29 of 49
Yeah, NeXTSTEP was very impressive... its too bad that it never really caught on. That and beOS are my favourite dead OSes.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back