What does a student buy for $29.99? --Windows!
Sep 19, 2009 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

catachresis

Headphoneus Supremus
Cheap as chips? What will you do with your $29.99 (or roughly four hours of post-tax campus employment drudgery)?
--Two tickets at the Cineplex to see Jennifer's Body!
--Fritos for the entire frat house!
--Downpayment on ground-effects for your Kia!
--One month's access to unlimited pirate .mp3 downloads!
--1/2 a used but required 8th edition of the Intro. to Chemistry textbook!
--2 hours of tutored essay writing from a PhD who wrote his dissertation on "Radical Alterity and the Trope of Involuted Genitalia in the Poetry of Robert Frost"!
--2 no. Limited Edition Hacky-Sacks!
--45 minutes of love-sick Trans-Atlantic phone conversation with your girlfriend who insists that she is visiting Prague because of the material it will provide her for her Art-history thesis!
--One month's access to unlimited electronic-mail delivery of variably accusatory, moaning, whining, pleading, and despairing emails to your girlfriend, whom you know with grim certainty became way to friendly with that pretentiously-goateed visiting Czech Art-history grad student!
--Amazing earbuds from Philips!

OR you could save your money, clever lad, and invest in a new operating system from Microsoft--the all-new and improbably (and temporarily) inexpensive Windows 7 Ultimate Edition!

Go, Tiger!

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 45
half a chem textbook for $30? I paid $200 for my chem book... and I get windows for $7 on my campus *runs away*

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 45
yup! i preordered this at noon earlier
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 45
Saw it before, not interested since it's the upgrade versions. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know when you go to the movies and you see a really cool preview and then at the end you realize it's actually a Fox series or a Pepsi ad?

That.

What's wrong with series on Fox. You're not diggin' on the new seasons of More to Love and Glee?

@Gatto: Ooh, you're one of those cool-kids who goes to the elite liberal-arts college where the Lacrosse Coach reads Proust, and even the janitors have schpankin' new Macbook Pros--arntcha now!

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw it before, not interested since it's the upgrade versions. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The guys on Gizmodo told that you can do a clean install. Not sure about this though.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 45
same price for both Home edition and Professional edition ??!

I think I will cancel my pre-order for Home edition placed in Jun and order the Pro with student discount instead.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same price for both Home edition and Professional edition ??!

And *Ultimate Edition*. That's the one that Jesse-the-Body-Ventura installed in his Humvee! The brain is a muscle too!

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think they're standalone editions. All the guff is here.

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with series on Fox. You're not diggin' on the new seasons of More to Love and Glee?

@Gatto: Ooh, you're one of those cool-kids who goes to the elite liberal-arts college where the Lacrosse Coach reads Proust, and even the janitors have schpankin' new Macbook Pros--arntcha now!

Actually I go to a SUNY school where in state tuition is only about 17,000 dollars. My school is one of the oldest in the state, use to be private and is the biggest SUNY school though... so we DO have the most money, however, our janitors most certainly are not sporting shiny new macbooks. The students are quite a different story though, so we don't even need windows! Oh and students going to ANY SUNY school get the same price on software, although I'm not sure if they give out office 2007 full version for free at all the SUNYs or just here.

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I go to a SUNY school where in state tuition is only about 17,000 dollars. My school is one of the oldest in the state, use to be private and is the biggest SUNY school though... so we DO have the most money, however, our janitors most certainly are not sporting shiny new macbooks. The students are quite a different story though, so we don't even need windows! Oh and students going to ANY SUNY school get the same price on software, although I'm not sure if they give out office 2007 full version for free at all the SUNYs or just here.

Yarh, I betcha you does "have the most money," and you and yer prep-school pals pool your monthly allowance and get Philip Roth to write your English papers! [For Dickens perhaps the Reign of Terror was both the "best of times and the worst of times," but for me that moment was indelibly seared into the palpitating tissues of my cerebral cortex on a salt-sprayed August afternoon in 1964 when, in a nonchalant instant of unrehearsed eroticism, my cousin Ruthie bent ungainly to retie her sidesaddle and inadvertently exposed the clip of a garter imposed upon the fabulous round, smooth lower thigh endowed by our Ukrainian forebears. Since then, I have never stood in the sweaty bow of the Staten Island Ferry without being stung by that picture's guilty but electric delight.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back