What does a 75 Ohm Converter Cable Do? and will this portable setup sound nice?
Sep 29, 2011 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

inadvertentgear

New Head-Fier
Music - 320kbps 
Source Component - iPod Classic 7G
Amp - iBasso D-Zero 
LOD: 7N OFC LOD w/ Pailiccs Jack
IEM: Sony MDR EX600 attached to a 75 ohm converter cable

Cost: ~$450

So, will these setup sound good and how does the 75 ohm converter cable improve the sound of the Sony MDR EX600?

(Kiteki had posted that it sounds much better with the converter cable but I an unable to ask why since Kiteki got banned)

So, any help would be much appreciated such as explanation to why the converter cable improves the sound and any suggestions to change something in the setup.

Thanks head-fiers! 
beyersmile.png

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 23
Welcome to Head-fi, and maybe in future posts try a smaller font -- seems like you are shouting at us!

On to your question -- that seems like a lot of stuff for an initial setup.  I suggest just starting with the iPod and EX600 -- see how bad that sounds to you.  If it just doesn't cut it for you, then maybe you can add the D-Zero and a reasonably priced LOD (plenty of good ones that aren't so fancy).  The 75-ohm converter will not inherently "improve" the sound -- it will dampen the EX600 some, requiring you to increase the volume (power) to the EX600, possibly bringing out more details.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
Music - 320kbps 
Source Component - iPod Classic 7G
Amp - iBasso D-Zero 
LOD: 7N OFC LOD w/ Pailiccs Jack
IEM: Sony MDR EX600 attached to a 75 ohm converter cable

Cost: ~$450

So, will these setup sound good and how does the 75 ohm converter cable improve the sound of the Sony MDR EX600?

(Kiteki had posted that it sounds much better with the converter cable but I an unable to ask why since Kiteki got banned)

So, any help would be much appreciated such as explanation to why the converter cable improves the sound and any suggestions to change something in the setup.

Thanks head-fiers! 
beyersmile.png

Lol

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 23
Welcome back. That wasn't long, LOL.

The 75 ohm adapter is basically 2 wrongs making it right. It will decrease the damping factor and sometimes the bandwidth, changing the tonality. You're effectively driving a 32 ohm load with a 75 ohm source. The net result can be perceived as better under the right conditions and will decrease hiss.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 23
Wait a second, what exactly is the first wrong that the wrong of impedance converter is combining with?

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 23
The tonality or you wouldn't bother. How/if wrong in a package will be individual but why change it if you feel it's right. Haven't heard that combo so it was a general comment and not specific to it. Results are all that ultimately matters so I'm not saying not to do it if you like the result. Just nice to know what you're affecting.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 23
Hmmm... I also think the 75 ohm cable made the line-out listenable on my T51, which otherwise is far too loud.

The LO on the T51 is really good quality, for a portable device, and the 75 ohm cable can help you out with that.

I never said the EX600 + 75 ohm7N24KOFC is a haxor no matter what.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 23
Hey Kiteki welcome back to the land of Head-Fi, lol, can you post a pic of the 75 ohm cable that you use, I've been trying to find one but ?, thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back