What do you use at work?
Sep 17, 2004 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

hazmat

100+ Head-Fier
So I want a decent pair of headphones for work to listen through my computer (via the speakers' headphone jack) or through my iPod. I don't feel like dealing with my Etymotics at work. I was thinking of the Sennheiser PX-100 since they sound really nice, but I'm just worried about them leaking and annoying other people. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

[edit] I should mention that I don't want canal phones. I want to be able to quickly take them off and put them on

Sep 17, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 20
I have used the Senn MX500 buds and the Koss KSC-35 at work. The Senn buds are nice because of the small volume attenuator: if someone stops by to chat or demand TPS reports, you can simply turn down the music and talk without removing the buds. Another nice thing about any of the buds is that you can answer the phone and only remove one, so that you can tune out whoever is on the other line while listening to the music with your other ear.
biggrin.gif

The KSC-35s have some leakage, but sound better, and are more comfortable wearing for long periods of time, but are more difficult to remove and put on.

All comments bear the disclaimer : IMHO
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 20
I use PX-200 at work, with pretty mediocre onboard sound
frown.gif

I probably should look into a USB/firewire solution.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfense
I have used the Senn MX500 buds and the Koss KSC-35 at work. The Senn buds are nice because of the small volume attenuator: if someone stops by to chat or demand TPS reports, you can simply turn down the music and talk without removing the buds. Another nice thing about any of the buds is that you can answer the phone and only remove one, so that you can tune out whoever is on the other line while listening to the music with your other ear.
biggrin.gif

The KSC-35s have some leakage, but sound better, and are more comfortable wearing for long periods of time, but are more difficult to remove and put on.

All comments bear the disclaimer : IMHO
tongue.gif

A second for the MX500s!

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 20
I've used MX500's in the past but they hurt my ears, now I use PX200s. They're a good fit IMO because they don't leak at all, they only muffle noises (like phones ringing), and I have an eq on my computer to tweak the sound to my liking. The only problem is getting a good seal, it still takes me some tweaking to get them just right.

Sep 17, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 20
My office rig has progressed since I started working at my current location:

On-board Intel AC-97->PX100 (extremely noisy, lack-luster output of on-board sound made listening almost unbearable)

M-Audio Transit->PX100 (completely silent, great sound quality, drove PX100 sufficiently, but co-workers were annoyed by leakage of PX100)

Terratec DMX 6fire LT->PX100 (received new workstation that belongs to me, not the company – and they paid for it
smily_headphones1.gif
, so installed easier-to-deal-with DMX 6fire LT, which sounds a bit better than the transit and doesn't clutter up my area like the external soundcard; colleagues still annoyed with the PX100)

Terratec DMX 6fire LT->HD25-1 (sounds much better than the PX100 and isolates well enough for co-workers tolerate while obscuring the din of the office so I can work more productively; still the HD25-1 wasn't well-controlled by the line-out of the 6fire...)

Terratec DMX 6fire LT->Zu Pivot IC->PIMETA w/OPA627BP & 24V Elpac->HD25-1 (while the Terratec drove the HD25-1 to acceptable volume levels, it could not drive it with any real authority and therefore the bass was not controlled well and the details weren't as palpable – which I knew from listening to the HD25-1 with the Corda HA-2, which really commanded the HD25 – the PIMETA has solved any issues I had and I settled on the OPA to synergize with the HD25's forward portrayal; it also can accommodate 2 9Vs for portable usage).

Possible Upgrades:
I may upgrade the HD25’s cable (via Larry) when I find a suitable portable replacement that’ll supplant the HD25-1; it will then be relegated to full-time office duty and thus a heavier, 2-sided cable won’t be an issue (and the sonic improvements are NOT subtle – they’re even more apparent than the Oehlbach on the HD580 IME).
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 20
KSC 35--these things sound great (already I broke mine yeserday and I've been wearing my conspicous and clunky Grados today).

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 20
I use the Audio Technica ATH-CM7 Aluminum Sticks (earbuds) with a Zen Xtra. I'm very happy with the nuetrality and detail of this combination, though I wouldn't mind just a tad more bass. And the cool thing is that, because I can keep the Zen in my pants pocket, at the end of the day, I can just get up and walk out the door without even taking them off (the 'buds, not the pants, sheesh!) - I work late, so there's usually nobody around to feel slighted by my not saying bye
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, I forgot to mention that they seem to leak a little more sound than most earbuds - I think it's because they produce much more extended highs than most 'buds, but I've never had anyone comment on them. I've even gone so far as to walk over to the next cubicle with them playing on my desk and, at most, I hear them faintly. I keep them pretty low, though. We have a VP who tends to come up behind you and very quietly say your name to get your attention - I'll never be able to wear canal phones at this job, that's for sure.

I do have to agree that the MX500's are an excellent value (the CM7's are in a different league, really) for portable use, and I find them very comfortable, too. $20 at newegg, including shipping and there's no tax.

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 20
See sig below.
biggrin.gif

Most of the time, I use the E5's since they block out many very distraction noises and conversations and they sound really good. When I need to be able to hear what's going on a bit better but can't bother others, the PX200's or MX500's come in handy.

I used to use the other stuff for when I wanted better sound, but now that I have the E5's... they're at home in a drawer...

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum
We have a VP who tends to come up behind you and very quietly say your name to get your attention - I'll never be able to wear canal phones at this job, that's for sure

Why are there so many people like this; they believe you can't work with the music playing. I actually get in really early so I can crank my 280s and then switch to my concealed EX71s during the day. There are times, though that I look up to find someone has had a long conversation with themselves!

Sep 18, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hazmat
So I want a decent pair of headphones for work to listen through my computer (via the speakers' headphone jack) or through my iPod.

I use a very old Sony MDR-V6. They are closed back. Bleed through isn't a problem. They are good enough to show how dreadfull the SB Live card in my current work PC is. Anything better would be wasted.

Sep 18, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #15 of 20
HD202's, I'm on my third pair in about 4 months (they keep "disappearing"). After this time, it's time to lug something back and forth (or buy a damn lock box or something).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back