What do you think of Vista?
Dec 1, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #211 of 226
Vista is certainly usable, it just doesn't have the familiarity and hardware/software support that XP has due to it being a newer operating system. The only reason stopping me from upgrading back to it is that I run a stripped version of XP that has proven to be slim, fast, yet fully functional (using nLite). vLite is out, but has yet to integrate all the features and tweaks to produce a fully usable and customizable Vista install, in my opinion.

Also, Creative X-Fi drivers are always finicky on Vista, though that really isn't Vista's fault.

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #212 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simply hate it!
Its a slough compared to Windows XP, which I "just" dislike...

I actually like Vista. Sure, you have to tweak it a bit(just as with XP or anything else) for maximum function, but given the fact that most of you are audio people, id think that tweaking would be 2nd nature? as for all the people bitching about MS , errors, viruses, slowness...never had any issue in 25 years of using PCs that wasnt my fault. most of the time the people complaining are just inexperienced or are totally ignorant/dont know what they are doing and have no business using computers in the first place. ... this "windows sucks" garbage is nonsense.

I have a couple of macbooks that I take on the road with me, but I much , much prefer windows.

as for linux...as a serious, viable replacement to osXX/windows?? thats a damn joke if I ever heard one.\

good for servers and not much else.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #213 of 226
Yep I have used quite a few "user friendly" versions of Linux and the learning curve is VERY steep. Linux has a long way to go until someone like my mom could pick it up and start using it IMO.

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #214 of 226
I've been loving Vista 64 on both my laptop and desktop systems for the last month or two it has been installed on both. It is definitely faster on the same hardware than XP 32, and lets me make full use of the 4GB and 8GB RAM the two systems have, respectively.

When I check in on my XP 32 "rat box" torrent/emule system, it feels like an old-fashioned OS, now that I'm used to Vista. At this point I have no reason to go back to XP on my other computers.

At this point, I don't see the big gripe about Vista. As long as you run it on a dual-core system with at least 2GB RAM, it runs very nicely. Make sure SP1 is installed, turn off UAC and a few other annoyances/wastes, and it is smooth sailing. I guess if you have unsupported hardware/software it is another story, too bad.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #216 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been loving Vista 64...

Even with UAC turned off, Vista is still a pain. Why is it that even administrators don't have full file access to the C: drive??? It's maddenning!
mad.gif

Wrt the Vista 64 version, I'd really prefer my apps all be 64-bit as well to take full advantage of my processor & RAM. However, until Adobe releases a compatible version of the Flash plug-in, I have to keep switching between IE versions. Also, my wife can't install the Palm synch software for her Centro.
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #217 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even with UAC turned off, Vista is still a pain. Why is it that even administrators don't have full file access to the C: drive??? It's maddenning!
mad.gif

Because you should never be able to run your system with such access. Mac OS X doesn't let you run a GUI as root. Linux is sure to remind you on a regular basis how dumb of an idea it is.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #218 of 226
Vista is great assuming you have the power to run it; but once you go over that not so high threshold it flies. 4GB ram and any one of the C2D is all you need (a decent gfx card really helps too)

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #219 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista is great assuming you have the power to run it; but once you go over that not so high threshold it flies. 4GB ram and any one of the C2D is all you need (a decent gfx card really helps too)

x2
wink.gif
to me vista 64-bit really feels faster than xp
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #220 of 226
I have no problem with Vista. Vista 64 is pretty good once you get 4Gb of RAM. My comp scores a 5.9.

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #221 of 226
My laptop came with vista, and I had previously installed ultimate on my desktop. Both installations ended up in downgrades to XP. Vista is a memory hog, and wastes tons of system resources just to provide an apple-esque gui. I'd rather have better performance than a shiny interface...

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #222 of 226
I just installed Vista Ultimate 64 edition onto a RAID0 array to get a second opinion.

You see, I was working at Dell right when they were getting ready to roll out Vista to the public. At the time, Vista was one buggy POS. Bad driver support, freezes, installation issues. It colored my opinion of the OS. I was loading the latest and greatest Vista to top-end Dell boxes and this is how it ran? Nope, not for me!

Now, over two years later, it seems to be coming together. SP1 has helped stabilize the OS and more vendors are offering proper driver support, even 64 bit.

This time around I am really enjoying my new OS. It's sleek, runs smoothly, and does everything I need it to. I may go so far as to make it my primary OS. I'll give it another few weeks and see how things are.

My system, for those curious:

Mobo: Abit IP35 Pro
CPU: E6320 OC to 3.2GHz
Video: Nvidia 7950GT 512MB
RAM: 2GB PC8400
HDD RAID0: Maxtor Atlas 10K V x2
SCSI Controller: LSI 320-2E PCIE

Z

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #223 of 226
I've been testing/using Vista on and off ever since it was released, and I'm probably one of the few that never encountered a problem. Well, unless you count tabbing in and out messing up my Counter-Strike FPS.

Initially used x86, then went to x64 without any real noticeable differences besides an extra Program Files folder for the x86 programs. Read that x64 is a bit faster, but I think it's probably negligible.

This is my rig:
AMD Athlon X2 64 6000+
Asus M2N-E
BFG 9600GT 512MB
4GB DDR2-667
250GB Seagate Barracuda

Probably going to replace my HD with a SSD once they start rolling out and become more mainstream, and use the HD as a storage drive.

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #224 of 226
The only problem I have with Vista 64 is that none of my extra keys (Logitech keyboard) work. It bugs me sometimes, but I've gotten over it.

May 4, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #225 of 226
I am currently using Vista and it is true, it has problems with file handling. An what they say are true, Vista is power consuming and that it is so alert on updates. But, overall, it is fine and pretty useful to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back