What do you think of Vista?
Mar 24, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #151 of 226
I am running Vista Business on a Sony business laptop with few problems. The HP printer driver drops off sometimes and the ZoneAlarm spyware section is not functioning. My Copernic search engine software doesn't store any saved results either. Other than that, everything else I threw at it, worked, or either had a Vista compatible version that worked.
Mind you, I am not going to install it on my dual processor tower PC (my games machine) or on my other Sony laptop. Vista doesn't support Active Sync, which is the biggest downside of the OS. My PDA is part of my daily life on the road and connectivity to my PC is a "must". I might have to partition my HD and put XP on the extra partition just so that I only have to use one laptop. But all in all I am reasonably satisfied with Vista in spite of my initial fears.

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #152 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joke: If you think Vista is slow, wait until you've seen Nero 8, more bloated than Vista could ever strive to be.

Try Adobe Reader.

As for Vista.. It's a small step. It's nothing massive, but the little things add up.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #153 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am running Vista Business on a Sony business laptop with few problems. The HP printer driver drops off sometimes and the ZoneAlarm spyware section is not functioning. My Copernic search engine software doesn't store any saved results either. Other than that, everything else I threw at it, worked, or either had a Vista compatible version that worked.
Mind you, I am not going to install it on my dual processor tower PC (my games machine) or on my other Sony laptop. Vista doesn't support Active Sync, which is the biggest downside of the OS. My PDA is part of my daily life on the road and connectivity to my PC is a "must". I might have to partition my HD and put XP on the extra partition just so that I only have to use one laptop. But all in all I am reasonably satisfied with Vista in spite of my initial fears.

ActiveSync became the Vista Mobile Device Center. Same functionality, different name.

To Gordon: Those problems aren't Vista, they're your system config. You do an upgrade install or install outdated drivers or something?

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #154 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ActiveSync became the Vista Mobile Device Center. Same functionality, different name.

To Gordon: Those problems aren't Vista, they're your system config. You do an upgrade install or install outdated drivers or something?

I was waiting for someone to say this. The install is a few weeks old and the drivers are the most current and everything is up to date. Windows seems to be listed as the fault. Im anal about keeping my software updated. No problem as of last few days though, dont know what to tell you. I will say for people having difficulty sleeping or hibernating, I disabled (enable this device to wake the computer) anything that is able to wake the computer, Mice, network adapters, etc. and it seems to help alot. Just use the power button.

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #155 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was waiting for someone to say this. The install is a few weeks old and the drivers are the most current and everything is up to date. Windows seems to be listed as the fault. Im anal about keeping my software updated. No problem as of last few days though, dont know what to tell you. I will say for people having difficulty sleeping or hibernating, I disabled (enable this device to wake the computer) anything that is able to wake the computer, Mice, network adapters, etc. and it seems to help alot. Just use the power button.

If you're using a pre-installed company computer (i.e. Dell, HP, Gateway), then that's most likely your problem.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #156 of 226
I'll admit that I've only spent a few hours using it on friends PC's, doing a bit of photo editing and just general computer stuff, and I really don't like it. It's part of the reason why I switched over to a Mac, and it's the best computer-based move I've ever made. Running VMWare Fusion with XP Pro and It's the perfect computer for me. Not one single hiccup.

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #157 of 226
So how is everyone's impression of SP1? Running pretty smoothly on my system for a week now, no stability porblems whatsoever. Fixed up an SD card reader driver too, which was quite unexpected. Resuming from sleep and hibernation definitely feels snappier, another good plus.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #159 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me more.

The crapware that comes preinstalled with the associated systems is usually a culprit to a lot of the slowdown issues people experience.

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #160 of 226
I would say go for it, because it's nowhere near as bad as it was when it first came out. It had so many compatibility problems from anything from software, to mp3 players that were made MTP just for vista. Now, I have no problems, file transfers are fine to me, and I have no troubles. I have ultimate and particularly love having media center.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #163 of 226
Vista sucks big time!

Program incompatibility is just one of the major issues with Vista. If you consider the huge amount of resources it consumes and the substantial memory leak in the Media Center part, the networking problems, the management problems. Besides the design Vista is just one big flaw!

Completely unsuitable for anything else than desktop work on a single PC. Every time I talk to companies about laptops or networking they always want to know if they can downgrade from Vista to XP, unfortunately for them most newer laptops are only supported by Vista so they are really annoyed.

I cannot imagine how a company could base their operations on that particular OS.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #165 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista sucks big time!

so active caching, ready boost are bad things. Vista is a better for 64bit systems then xp because it uses all that extra ram for something. For nearly every application save for straight cpu number crunching (compression and encoding) xp and vista are nearly identical in performance.

Vista is alot better out of the box then xp is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back