What do you think of my new tattoo? [56k warning]
Apr 2, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #16 of 38
Very groovy, O'Dox! And here's what I'm ruminatin' -

"The ao is a mythical animal that is a cross between a fish and a dragon, and is the vehicle of Kuixing, the God of Literature. It is the symbol of high literary achievement."

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The ao is a mythical animal that is a cross between a fish and a dragon, and is the vehicle of Kuixing, the God of Literature. It is the symbol of high literary achievement."

Like DUHH! Who didn't know that!
tongue.gif
Can you say that again but a bit slower please?

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #18 of 38
Interesting creature and design, and it was well done, but I'm not too sure I like it...

Congrats anyway!

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
50% of all people who have a tattoo want it removed.

Thanks. Of course, I have already considered this before getting a tattoo.

Come on, it's not like I got 'howdy' tattooed on the inside of my lip! [a little jab at Billy there]
biggrin.gif
Quote:

No Marines for you.

I'm Canadian.
wink.gif

colonelkernel8 & Jahn --- Good guesses, but its a little less spiritual than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

It is actually the cover art from an early printing of one of my favourite books... Tea with the Black Dragon by R.A. MacAvoy. It is one of the first books I ever read, after my Mom got me hooked on fantasy by reading me the Hobbit. The 'black dragon' is actually a middle aged man in modern day San Francisco throughout most of the book and it is not until the end that you discover his alternate identity. Mayland Long as a dragon is named Oolong, and if you do a google search you should be able to find a wikipedia entry with some information on how that black Chinese tea gained its name. I can't say that it is my favourite book, but it did get me started on a path that has provided me a lot of enjoyment. I have always loved books that combine real world fiction [or at least believable realism] with a dash of fantasy and R.A. MacAvoy has always been a favourite for that reason [along with Judith Tarr, Guy Gavriel Kay and David & Leigh Eddings]. A Trio for Lute and Book of Kells are also both excellent. I am still trying to find a copy of Twisting the Rope in decent condition, but have had little luck.

I also quite like the artwork by Pauline Ellison, though I have not been able to find out much else about her on the Internet as I believe she has passed on. I have always wanted to get a Dragon tattoo, but did not really want it to be vicious and dangerous looking. This image of a Dragon sipping tea and reading a book always struck me as a great combination, and representative of the type of person I want to be. I can't imagine a time in my life when I would regret this tattoo. Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh noes, the photo isn't coming up anymore. Or is that only on my end?

Seems to be working for me.
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #22 of 38
I like it!, it's a lot cooler than the generic dragon designs everyone has.

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #23 of 38
To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of tattoos, but at least they did a good job- it looks pretty cool

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #24 of 38
Puppysmith, you're so smooth. You're my new internet hero. All hail Puppysmith for saving us all from the evil tattoo!
wink.gif

Nice work, Philodox. My husband and I are getting a custom jobbie, our first tattoos, next weekend. We've finalized the design and settled on size and placement. I still think his version could be a tad bigger since it's going on the bicep, but at least it does fit, isn't toooo small, and there's room to add to it...which may seem an insane idea to him now, but these things happen.

Mine's going on the inner ankle. I've decided that the skin there isn't sooo dry that it will become an issue. There's no kanji anywhere near it, but it is called Double Happiness Turtle, and it's cute design being brought to life by an awesome artist. I'd prefer to only post pics when it heals, but I might post pics before that point.
wink.gif
The design is already in jpg form, but I'm no-way posting it before it's done. No, this is ours.

As for my tribal greco-roman turtles and dolphins I posted in a similar thread - that will be mine one day, but on this go-round, it'll be our own design.

So, did it hurt? I think I'm going to tell Mr. Plainsong to just hold my leg down.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Puppysmith, you're so smooth. You're my new internet hero. All hail Puppysmith for saving us all from the evil tattoo!
wink.gif

Nice work, Philodox. My husband and I are getting a custom jobbie, our first tattoos, next weekend. We've finalized the design and settled on size and placement. I still think his version could be a tad bigger since it's going on the bicep, but at least it does fit, isn't toooo small, and there's room to add to it...which may seem an insane idea to him now, but these things happen.

Mine's going on the inner ankle. I've decided that the skin there isn't sooo dry that it will become an issue. There's no kanji anywhere near it, but it is called Double Happiness Turtle, and it's cute design being brought to life by an awesome artist. I'd prefer to only post pics when it heals, but I might post pics before that point.
wink.gif
The design is already in jpg form, but I'm no-way posting it before it's done. No, this is ours.

As for my tribal greco-roman turtles and dolphins I posted in a similar thread - that will be mine one day, but on this go-round, it'll be our own design.

So, did it hurt? I think I'm going to tell Mr. Plainsong to just hold my leg down.

plainsong; do you do anything without hubbie?
wink.gif
every thread is "hubbie needs a watch......" etc. lucky guy

Apr 3, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

50% of all people who have a tattoo want it removed.

Lot more expensive to remove them than to get them.

No Marines for you.

That means 50% don't want it removed. I'm a "glass half full" kind of person, who also happens to have tattoos.

And as for the Marine comment: Wrong again.

It doesn't ban tattoos on the shoulder. Took this from a news article on the subject:

Quote:

Marines take their tattoos very seriously, and the latest edict - from Commandant General James Conway - is likely to cause some grumbling. Body art on the head, neck and hands is already prohibited and, under new rules that come into effect on April 1, tattoos on the forearms and lower legs will also be banned.

To the OP, good for you. It's a cool piece.

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plainsong; do you do anything without hubbie?
wink.gif
every thread is "hubbie needs a watch......" etc. lucky guy

I know, it gets expensive, frankly. We're not all clingy and co-dependent... it's just we have a lot in common and think the same way and like the same stuff. Is he lucky or are we just stuck together no matter what? We're the only ones that could put up with the other.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #30 of 38
Congrats with the new tat
biggrin.gif
Its great that you like it
biggrin.gif
Ive known a person to get a tat in a rush, only to realise it wasnt really what he wanted and honestly speaking looked quite horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back