What do you think of Death Cab For Cutie?
Apr 24, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #16 of 31
Usually with their songs, they begin with a great melody but they usually ruin the song in some way in the middle of it. I have songs that doesn't have a "play count" because I'd listen to the beginning but wish it ended different so I skipped on.

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone say Garbagio?

I too kind of thought they weren't my thing but whenever I would here something of theirs it always caught my attention. I was aware of this group for years but just recently bought the CD "Narrow Stairs" for the song I will possess your heart. I find that song very catchy, well crafted with good lyrics. The rest of the cd is enjoyable as well and I would buy more of their catalog.

But if something like this is garbage what is not garbage?

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 31
I've got the 'Plans' album which shot them to the mainstream, but I like Postal Service better. I saw them last year when they opened for Neil Young and they sounded pretty good but to the dismay of the largely hippie audience the set couldn't end fast enough. BTW, I hope they took notes because the 'old man' Neil at 60+ years literally shredded the strings off 'Old Black' (his Gibson Les Paul) guitar. This left me speechless when he covered the Beatles 'A Day in the Life'. Truly an icon of rock.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #20 of 31
I have Narrow Stairs, Plans and the Postal Service Give Up.

At first I didn't care for Plans but it has grown on me.

Narrow Stairs and Give Up have been in reasonably heavy rotation - I probably wouldn't go see these guys unless they were at a venue that I like but I do like their studio stuff.

As someone a few posts above said - if these guys are garbage then what isn't? They have interesting lyrics (some very at least to me) and catchy sounds.

Heck, this thread made me start Narrow Stairs up - thanks!

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #21 of 31
I've heard Transatlanticism and Narrow Stairs. I guess I'm in between on them. They don't suck, but they also didn't strike me as particularly good from what I heard. Not good enough for me to keep listening to and exploring more of their music. Mostly they bored me.

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #22 of 31
I have Transatlanticism and We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes.

I much prefer Transatlanticism. We Have The Facts has some weird echo thing going on that I don't like too much.

I really like the band though. They always make me feel happy.

Apr 25, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #23 of 31
^ They make you HAPPY? How odd. A lot of their songs strike me as rather depressing.

I'm a big fan, have all the albums etc. Ben Gibbard, Glenn Hansard, and Damien Rice make up my trinity of get-in-touch-with-your-emotions recording artists.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #24 of 31
Can't believe I used to listen to them years ago, well Transatlanticism is alright.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #25 of 31
Transatlanticism is their best album by far IMO. And I agree with fraseyboy. They make me happy too. Indeed their songs sound depressing because of the vocalist's voice but the lyrics are positive and happy in most of their songs.

They're more of a laid back, lounge music, singing in the background while people chatter away kind of band if you ask me.

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #26 of 31
I am a fan, and have about 3 or 4 of their CDs. On the other hand, I like them best in small doses and rarely listen all the way through one of their CDs in a single sitting.

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowfront /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went through a phase of listening to them a lot.

Then I saw them live and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I still put it on every one in a while. Really good stuff, just not live.

That is funny, as I was a casual listener until someone suggested we go see them so I saw them a few years ago in Toronto, Franz Ferdinand opened and I thought DCC did an amazing show and I became a true fan after that. During the concert, there was a fire alarm that went off, was very distracting, they struggled through it for a few songs, decided to leave the stage until it was fixed, came back and played on even better!

That being said, their new album has not "hooked" me yet...

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #28 of 31
I agree, wussies is a good way to describe them. They have a few good songs, but the Postal Service project with lead singer of the wussies with a electronic artist was much better effort I think.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #29 of 31
LOL - so all genres outside metal is wussy?

I like them. They have their own unique style. I don't think I'd want to see a mellow band like this live. That goes for most soft rock bands, but I do like their music for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back