What do you think of Death Cab For Cutie?
Mar 3, 2007 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
Death Cab... is totally not my kind of music, or so I thought. I was buying CDs a few days ago and decided to get 'Transatlanticism' as a kind of a "wild card" pick. Well, the first time I listened to it I was distracted and I kinda felt like it was way too melancholy for my taste. Well, upon second listen, it's grown on me like a mushroom on a cow pattie. I think one thing is my general mood today suits this music but I can still see myself listening to this CD in the future.

What do you guys think?

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 31
They're wusses.
tongue.gif

Naw, they're alright. Lyrics can be a little cringe-inducing at times, but otherwise they're pretty solid.

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're wusses.
tongue.gif

Naw, they're alright. Lyrics can be a little cringe-inducing at times, but otherwise they're pretty solid.

They have lyrics? I'm way too hypnotized when I listen to them. I have never been so unaware of what's going on when I listen to music. I couldn't tell you one line from any song off of the CD I have except, "BaBah BaBah, this is the sound of settling".

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 31
i bought Transatlanticism after hearing all the hype. it bored me to tears, so i gave it to a friend.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 31
I mostly know 'Something About Airplanes'...its pretty much Ben Gibbard fleshing out his songs with a friend - Chris Walla. A great album w/ great songs. I also like Postal Service a lot (Ben G's other project) ...worth checking out if you like DCFC (or Yaz).

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, upon second listen, it's grown on me like a mushroom on a cow pattie.

just how many of those mushrooms did you eat? They're not for me.(the band I mean...) I tried, really tried but just couldn't get into them. To each their own tho... it's what makes a party a party.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 31
I listen to a lot of music similar to Deathcab but I'm not really a fan of Deathcab themselves. Too boring imo..

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 31
ben gifford's music has some catchy hooks, and real emotion behind some songs, like "summer skin". "the postal service"--dcfc side project--also put out a good cd with "give up", but ben's music may not have a long shelf life i fear.

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 31
I went through a phase of listening to them a lot.

Then I saw them live and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I still put it on every one in a while. Really good stuff, just not live.

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 31
Can anyone say Garbagio?

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 31
I really like them, I have all their albums and a couple of ROIOs.

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 31
'Transatlanticism' is pretty brilliant, but I think for most people that band has a short shelf life. Their sound is very focused, and while I think they are the only band that does that feel the way they do, I cant imagine anyone listening to them for years and years. Of course, I fee the same about Rush and Dream Theater too, shows what I know.

They are definitely wusses. But they do wuss rock fantastically.

Check out Postal Service 'Give Up' if you like them, same lead singer, thats another fantastic album to become completely obsessed and eventually bored with.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Postal Service 'Give Up' if you like them, same lead singer, thats another fantastic album to become completely obsessed and eventually bored with.

got the vinyl of that. the vocals are very recesssed to the point where the percussion and other things are fatiguing

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 31
I kinda like them, but they do tend to bore me after a awhile though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back