What do you say when people ask you how much "so-and-so" cost?
Mar 25, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #33 of 48
No one has asked yet o.O

But I think I'd say the retail value first, then how much I paid for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #34 of 48
Pends on who i am talking to..

A close friend who i dont want them to know what i paid I would say "dude I sold some headphones and bought it" or I traded some stuff for it..

Someone who "says wow you got bose speakers" over by my theater area (i do have bose speakers..) I would usually tell them some made up number for my gear like "oh that Cd player is a Meridian G08, it retails for $15k but I picked it up for about $13000" or something really stupid..

the reason why I B/S the price of the gear up so much is because people who are impressed with seeing bose speakers will easily be impressed by something 10 times the cost of anything bose..

the best is the B52 or the Raptor..I will be like "Oh I am good friends with the guy, the company is in skokie and check this out.." then I show the back of the Raptor for example and they see the serial #1..impress's the **** out of them..

the best part is I will always ask them if they wanna listen to something, if they do I say "check out this headphone, its a Grado RS-1..costs $2500"
they listen and of course love it to death...remember they don't know anything from anywho.
then I will say "oh you like this..check these headphones out, they are Sennheiser 201's" after they listen they like it of course cause they are only thinking they cost a lot..i say "yeah you like those huh? they cost $20.00...i kidd you not.."

that really ****s with their heads then..then i go into a lecture of how sometimes high priced stuff is not the best..I have them turn all different ways..its so fun

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #35 of 48
Well if anyone my age asks I tell them, a few of them get it as they are or were guitarists and spend plenty of money on amps and that so they sort of get it.

Better than spending it on drugs or something, plus everyone has their hobbies. I do have too many though, so headphones are pretty balanced out.

Like I've got fishing gear worth about the same as my headphones alone. Electronics though, that is a fairly deep money pit. However that isn't specifically headphone related, although it is my main reason for getting into it.

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Better than spending it on drugs or something, plus everyone has their hobbies. I do have too many though, so headphones are pretty balanced out.

Like I've got fishing gear worth about the same as my headphones alone. Electronics though, that is a fairly deep money pit. However that isn't specifically headphone related, although it is my main reason for getting into it.

I think like that to..better spending it on something like watches or audio then drugs..or working girls..

My brother has more in Fishing gear then i do in audio easily..I think OCD runs in the family

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #38 of 48
"Wooah, what is that?" *looking at ER4s braided cord*
"just my earphones"
"look a bit weird"
"Yeah, they go in your eear, block out all the sound"
"How much?"
"I got em for a hundred"
"You got ********* ripped off mate"

*sigh* the guy had iBuds.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #41 of 48
Usually I tell them not to worry about it, because I just love listening to music. Some of my close friends know how much I spend, and their first reaction is, "Wow..." but they dont really mention it after the first encounter
biggrin.gif

And it's funny, cause some people don't even notice my headphone setup right next to my computer...quite interesting actually.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #42 of 48
I give it to them straight - my friends and family already know i'm nuts, and newcomers will learn it sooner or later anyways - and I rather enjoy having a rep for being nuts, lets me do whatever I want without people bugging me about it

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #43 of 48
Just for fun I may say something like "I got one just like it! How much did yours cost?"

To which I always reply "mine cost $5 less!"

Otherwise, I cannot tell a lie. If someone asks, I usually try to be honest.

....besides; I can never remember a lie and I get into trouble if I try.
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #44 of 48
i'll tell people i know what i paid for headphones, amps, etc., if they ask. if anyone calls me nuts, it must be behind my back. to my face anyway my colleagues show me respect for my hobby and knowledge.

if a stranger on the street asks me about my rig's price, i will not say ("i don't remember").

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #45 of 48
I would tell them the price, followed by a explain on why.

EDIT: Yupe! 100 posts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back