What do you say when people ask you how much "so-and-so" cost?
Mar 25, 2007 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
I personally say its full value, then after their initial shock tell them that I got it on sale/discount for however much.

But if it's somebody I need to make a good first impression on, then I say only the full value.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 48
pretty much the same. If it's a friend and I don't want them to think I'm nuts I tell them I got it used. They are usually surprised enough I have an amp for my headphones; no point in them knowing it's a $1200 amp.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 48
I tell them how much I paid for it, they are shocked and call me dumb for spending that much on it, I then follow up my with my speech about how everyone has their own hobby/interests that they spend a lot of money on (musical instruments, cars, computers, clothes, etc.). I've yet to convince one person that this hobby isn't as ridiculous as it appears.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 48
i always tell them what i paid for it. normally people my age call me stupid, and adults try to talk down on me about spending my money in the wrong places. the latter is greeted by a healthy "piss off" or lengthy explanation as to why they should leave me be normally since there's nothing that makes me more angry than being talked down on like i'm brain-dead.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 48
the one person that supports my hobby the most is my mom, she payed half of my W5000s and asks about my stuff and pretends to liste,which is good enough for me.

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 48
I hate telling people how much I spend on stuff because I normally spend a LOT (headphones + photography isn't cheap) and I hate always getting their "OMGWTF" reactions, so now I just tell them "a lot."

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i always tell them what i paid for it. normally people my age call me stupid, and adults try to talk down on me about spending my money in the wrong places. the latter is greeted by a healthy "piss off" or lengthy explanation as to why they should leave me be normally since there's nothing that makes me more angry than being talked down on like i'm brain-dead.

I hate that as well. Right now it's my parents, every time I get something in the mail (mostly just CDs...) I get the lecture on the virtue of saving. I usually retort with, "But you told me to stop downloading illegally!" and they go away
biggrin.gif
. But when people that I don't really know ask, I usually don't say how much. I'm not very comfortable discussing monetary values about my things with people other than my friends and family. But if people either find out or I tell them how much, I usually say something about how ridiculous I think it is that they spend so much on their cars, designer clothes, fads and fashions, etc. But nobody every makes the connection (that everyone has their own priorities for spending money).

I personally think people who spend tons of money on clothes or cars are nuts
blink.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #14 of 48
I start by telling them how much I paid, followed up with their retail price.
If they are shocked (they usually are), I tell/ask telling them what other people spend maintaining their hobbies (cars, computers, shoes, ...). That makes most of them quiet!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back