What do you say when people ask you how much "so-and-so" cost?
Mar 25, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #46 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i always tell them what i paid for it. normally people my age call me stupid, and adults try to talk down on me about spending my money in the wrong places (...)

I hate that as well (...) But if people either find out or I tell them how much, I usually say something about how ridiculous I think it is that they spend so much on their cars, designer clothes, fads and fashions, etc. But nobody every makes the connection (that everyone has their own priorities for spending money).

I personally think people who spend tons of money on clothes or cars are nuts
blink.gif

tongue.gif
so, just like thelonious m. you "hate" people that call you "stupid" or "talk down" on you because you like to spend money on headphones. And you actually have a good reason for it (the other expensive hobbies/lifestyles analogy)... but you word it judgementally, just like they judged you. Don't you think proclaiming people that are into other expensive hobbies/lifestyles as "nuts" might seem a bit hypocritical in this case
blink.gif
?

I personally am not rich, but I have worked (besides studying) all my life, which provided a bit of pocket change. Over the years I just 'switched' expensive hobbies: started out skateboarding (wore out numerous boards) and herbal-fun; then I started going to festivals and partying a lot; afterwards I got a girlfriend and settled/calmed down a bit, but had to furnish a house and bought a car; now I'm into food, designer clothes/bags/shoes (mainly supporting beginning designer friends but also some bigger Belgian ones), recording/taping (work = interviews & fun = concerts) with minidisc (Hi-MD), music (about 2 CDs / week and a couple of concerts each month), headphones and just looking to get into audio-DIY... but I am quite reasonable in my spending in each one.

OK, I have a bigger budget now (working full-time, well... doing state-funded phd-research) and I do get by and over the years I will again start to save more. But for now I'm enjoying myself and if someone asks me what I spend on all my stupid/expensive hobbies, I am simply honest and try to contextualize/make an analogy using what I know about their lifestyle as well. So yeah, do make the analogy with other ways to spend your money, but don't make the same mistake and judge others on their preferred money-sink...

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #47 of 48
I used to tell the truth, until I got my UM2. Now it is a closely guarded secret. I don't trust everybody at my work enough to let them know I am wearing $300 headphones.
blink.gif

It kinda bugs me too when people go like "wow, how many headphones have you gone though this month", while he is on his third bluetooth headset in the past 2 weeks (this one had a caller ID screen on it
blink.gif
). People complain to me about my hobby while forgetting about how expensive their hobbies are. They'll be like "how can you spend $100 on headphones", and I come back with "how can you blow $100 at a bar in one night". That usually shuts them up.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back