what do you prefer?
Apr 8, 2003 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 41
Foobar2000 with 3rd party DSP Crossfeed component from Naive Software. I think you'll find quite a few members using Foobar as it seems to be the best sounding option.

Apr 8, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 41
Yes you missed Foobar2000! Best audio player (for sound quality) I have found as of yet..

Quote:

Foobar2000 with 3rd party DSP Crossfeed component from Naive Software.

is this the same crossfeed that's included with foobar? or is there another component? I'll do some looking myself. I find the standard crossfeed component a little over done.. not at all subtle as I've heard many hardware crossfeeds (particularly meier) been described.

EDIT: After some fact-finding I have found that the default crossfeed included with Foobar2000 is in fact the Naive Software one, although I did upgrade to a slightly newer version. I find that although the soundstage seems to increase alot, the sound also become alot more laid back, and vocals recessed to an annoying degree. Much fuller, more enjoyable sound without crossfeed on my 600's (laid back to begin with).

-dd3mon

Apr 8, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 41
I could never tell the difference between Winamp 2.81 (now 2.9) and Foobar, and I really didn't like the crossfeed option. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

And also, perhaps my old-fashionedness (is that even a word?) leads me to believe that this should be moved to the Member's Lounge. You know, if I were a mod, I could do it myself
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 41
maybe I'm deaf, but I seem to get a seemingly impeceptable diff in sound quality from coolplayer when compared to foobar2000 and in a much more user-frienly pakage? Someone chime in if they agree or disagree.

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 41
I've only recently (after some equipment/cable upgrades) found the sonic difference between winamp (fully tweaked input/output plugins) and Foobar obvious, with the nod definitely going to Foobar. I've not tried coolplayer.

As for user-friendly package, I guess it depends on your definition of user friendly. A player that can be controlled totally by fully configurable keystrokes (even global keystrokes, for changing tracks while playing a game for example), contains an effective album database and focuses on signal quality is certainly my idea of user friendly. It does have a slightly steeper learning curve than the "front of your stereo" style winamp and friends players - but at least in my case the little bit of time spent learning to use Foobar to it's fullest have been well worth it.

-dd3mon

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 41
Is a slider finally implemented on the latest version of FOOBAR? I'm basically just waiting for that before I try it again.

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 41
i definitely prefer winamp 2 of any kind over winamp 3 or anything else. its just back to the basics, nothing flashy, and doesnt suck up your ram to run. of course, thats for the pc. on the mac side, you just cant beat itunes for ANYTHING mp3 related.

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 41
Really depends on which WMP you are referring to.

The new 9 will support 24 bit audio. Let the ripping of SACDs BEGIN muahahahahahaha.

Ok sorry. But I'm not sure what other audio programs can do that. Feel free to correct me.

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
Yes you missed Foobar2000! Best audio player (for sound quality) I have found as of yet..

is this the same crossfeed that's included with foobar? or is there another component? I'll do some looking myself. I find the standard crossfeed component a little over done.. not at all subtle as I've heard many hardware crossfeeds (particularly meier) been described.

EDIT: After some fact-finding I have found that the default crossfeed included with Foobar2000 is in fact the Naive Software one, although I did upgrade to a slightly newer version. I find that although the soundstage seems to increase alot, the sound also become alot more laid back, and vocals recessed to an annoying degree. Much fuller, more enjoyable sound without crossfeed on my 600's (laid back to begin with).

-dd3mon

Are you sure we're talking about the same crossfeed? It's not included with Foobar but a seperate 3rd party component available here . It's quite possible though that you might find the effect over done. Although I've found it less detrimental to the music than regular crossfeed, I've only ever used it at work with my HD280's which tends to open them up more. With an open can like the HD600 the effect may be too much. I'm not sure without having tried it though.

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Is a slider finally implemented on the latest version of FOOBAR? I'm basically just waiting for that before I try it again.

There is a slider but it's not quite what you'd expect. It's called Jump to time and is available under components. It's functional just not pretty or as accessible as a regular slider.

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
There is a slider but it's not quite what you'd expect. It's called Jump to time and is available under components. It's functional just not pretty or as accessible as a regular slider.

Well that sounds like foobar will stay out of my comp. for a while longer then, I really need an easily accessible slider since I tend to use that fairly often.

Apr 8, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 41
It's not really all that bad, just an extra click of the mouse button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back