What do you guys do (JOB)??
Apr 7, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #76 of 211
i'm an architect too. my name is art vandelay. actually, i'm a television reporter. i do it for the respect.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #77 of 211
I'm the marketing director for a lighting manufacturer.

Talk about all the cool toys..

ok,
erix

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #78 of 211
I work off and on in a small bookstore and I used to teach fencing to little kids. And I've had some random tutoring jobs here and there. But according to my profile I'm a starving writer. Dammit I need a real job.

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:48 AM Post #79 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by sorrywhat?
i'm an architect too. my name is art vandelay. actually, i'm a television reporter. i do it for the respect.
rolleyes.gif

yeah... but i was being serious.
biggrin.gif
unlike geoge costanza, i really am an architect.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #80 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
I work off and on in a small bookstore and I used to teach fencing to little kids. And I've had some random tutoring jobs here and there. But according to my profile I'm a starving writer. Dammit I need a real job.

Real jobs are over rated. That's why I have stayed at my job for the last 24 years. My first job with this company was a real job, I was stuck in that one for 2 years until I got into this department.

I almost had to actually work today. I put in my 6 hours, but I got out of actually doing anything. Unless you count a 20 minute walk in 6 inches of new snow work. I think it's fun.

Apr 7, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #81 of 211
Quote:

Dr. Van Nostrand

Actually my old high-school vice-principal was a Dr.Van Nostrand. We all called him Dr.Van. He had two children - we called them Mini-Vans
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and I'm studying electrical engineering to become... well an electrical engineer.

Jobs I've had so far:

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency:
I fixed any errors on the tax forms the employers give to their employees (T4's they are called in Canada), as well as made sure the reported monthly employer remittances matched the total deductions from the employees on their payroll. If there were any problems I had to figure out why. Also, I determined whether the deductions were sufficient for a given net income according different conditions. Essentially, if it had to do with a company payroll account, it was prolly something I'd take care of. Oh yah, and I was the only person taking care of all of this for french speaking employers in ontario and the atlantic provinces

Apr 7, 2003 at 12:13 PM Post #83 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
"network operations technician" at Sprint NOC, midnight shift. Basically I poke around our domestic DWDM equipment and make tickets on stuff that needs to be fixed. The only reactive stuff we do is like Fiber cuts, circuit outage, etc... pfffft office politics blow..

whats really cool is I don't even have a college degree hehe... got in '99 during the boom years

Well then,...if you're working on Sprint optical equip., then you've probably had your hands on some of MY company's shtuff.

Me = Optical Engineer for Corvis Corp. in Columbia, Md.

I have a few buddies here @ work that've ventured out to the NOC site in Kansis City a few times.
(almost makes me wish I was a Field Tech,.....I get sick-n-tired of being here all the time LOL )
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 12:26 PM Post #84 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by Maxvla
luthier

www.google.com

I know, I know! I wanted to be one of those once. I've built one myself..

ok,
erix

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:19 PM Post #86 of 211
Am I the only accountant here? Jeesh, you figure someone else would speak up and claim they chose this profession. I like it, a fellow accountant friend of mine phrased it rather nicely.."I like accounting, numbers don't talk back."

I am studying for my CPA and working on getting into medical school.

Apr 9, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #87 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by bong
yeah... but i was being serious.
biggrin.gif
unlike geoge costanza, i really am an architect.
rolleyes.gif

my brief flirtation with architecture ended in grade 9. i realized i was far too messy and inaccurate to ever create a proper blueprint or plan. douglas cardinal i was not (highly talented canadian architect for those who don't know who he is). in the interests of public safety, it's best i got into journalism instead....

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:01 AM Post #88 of 211
Well, right now I'm just deciding what I want to do with my life. I'm working out every day and going out and experiencing life and learning more about myself. I'm also taking an indian cooking course this term and job search/resume type classes.

I was doing computer tech support which I quit in late '01 (4 years was enough of that line of work for a lifetime).

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #89 of 211
here's a question to ponder. i'm generally a cynical person who needs definitive proof before accepting something. it fits well with what i do for a living.

this is the question: did you choose your current profession because it suited your attributes or did you develop certain tendencies BECAUSE of your job?

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #90 of 211
I have done a few things.
Military.
Electronics hardware.
Computer software engineer.

Now disabled/retired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back