What do you do with your IEMs/ Ear-buds while they are temporarily not in use?
Feb 16, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #16 of 45
Gah, don't do this with customs!

Seriously. I remember some dumbass walked around with his jh custom hanging on his shoulder and the earpiece fell off the cable!

There is a way to properly wrap them. Aaron who owns thinksound has a video of him doing it. Just remember, a handy crush-proof case like a small otterbox or something similar is a lot smarter when it comes to something you don't want smashed or broken where the cable meets the earpiece.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #17 of 45

Quote:
Gah, don't do this with customs!
Seriously. I remember some dumbass walked around with his jh custom hanging on his shoulder and the earpiece fell off the cable!
There is a way to properly wrap them. Aaron who owns thinksound has a video of him doing it. Just remember, a handy crush-proof case like a small otterbox or something similar is a lot smarter when it comes to something you don't want smashed or broken where the cable meets the earpiece.

Well darn, yeah my soft case for my Ear Sonics kept getting crushed in my pocket so I put it in my bag where its a little more safe.
I forgot all about the detachable cables. I have seen Jude in videos wearing his JH's hanging around his neck.
I definitely wouldn't want to loose an earpiece though! :frowning2:

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 45
Tf10's are usually wrapped over the ears, with them dangling in a way that it puts no strain on the memory wire. When they need to go though, I wrap them with 4 fingers because I find it stays coiled in the UE case that way. The 3 finger coiling always tangled and became a nightmare to deal with.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 45

Quote:
Tf10's are usually wrapped over the ears, with them dangling in a way that it puts no strain on the memory wire. When they need to go though, I wrap them with 4 fingers because I find it stays coiled in the UE case that way. The 3 finger coiling always tangled and became a nightmare to deal with.

Do you have a video of how to do this?
I heard there was an over & under wrapping technique that helped in preventing tangles.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #20 of 45

Quote:
Do you have a video of how to do this?
I heard there was an over & under wrapping technique that helped in preventing tangles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnPebw4g4N8

That aside, the stock UE cable is utter rubbish. Very prone to kinking and staying bent. I will truthfully say that it came out without tangling though. This way it leaves a nice space in the centre of the case for the IEMs themselves.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #21 of 45

Quote:

No no,
this is the way it's done:

Courtesy of Aaron at Thinksound.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #22 of 45

Quote:
No no,

I don't think that'd work out for the TF10 and it's stock cable. Maybe for an aftermarket cable but stock will probably break. Where the cables come out of the Y splitter is already coming apart. Which is why you saw the tape on mine.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 45
I curl the cables around in a small circle and put them back into their original case/pouch

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #25 of 45

Quote:
No no,

This is how most of mine are kept unless they come with a nice hard case. Then I do the the four finger coil method...  :)

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #26 of 45
As annoying as it is, I've just gotten into the habit of putting my IEMs into a Pelican 1010 case, even if it is for between classes or for a short break or what not. 4 finger over under wrap takes only a couple of seconds.

I have separate Pelican cases for my W4, W4 R and UM3X RC and they are absolute tanks. I figure the annoyance is worth it because I'd hate to damage any of them out of negligence. I'm always looking for easier methods of storage without compromising protectiveness and size, and this is the best I've come up with.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #27 of 45
For single classes and such, I have a habit of just tucking them down my shirt... not sure how safe this is, but I'm generally pretty careful with my IEMs, and just avoid running around and such, and it seems to be fine. For longer durations I generally put it back in the case.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #28 of 45
My Music Tech teacher tried to teach us how to wrap cables, and for the life of me I could not get the pattern down. There were also several ways of doing it alternating between grabs and hands and folds.

SCREW IT JUST COIL THE CABLE!!

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 45
I use a small zipper case like the links shown. Take them off, fold them gently in half then in half again. Repeat folding small enough to fit in the pouch / case. Doing the foldy fold method prevents them somewhat from becoming tangled. Depending on price I would use this method. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #30 of 45
When I'm in classes I just leave them on, sort of hanging there. Of course I pull them out as much as possible so that I can still hear the prof, but I find this to be quite convenient. Just too darn lazy to use my case every time I go into class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back