What do they mean by "for lovers of classical music" in the AKG K501 description?
Jun 9, 2006 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Piffles

100+ Head-Fier
In most of the reviews of the K501 on the web, I read "great for classical music". Okay, but what do they call "classical music" in the first place?

Classical music could mean anything: solo guitar, solo piano, solo violin, cello + guitar duos, flute + sax duos, orchestral works, etc. You can play classical music with a frying pan if you want! A headphone that would be "great" at reproducing all the instruments used in classical music would be a great headphone period, because ALL instruments are used in classical music. So what's the point of saying "classical"?

A guitar has a radically different sound signature to a saxophone for example. The guitar's attack is sharp and the sound has little body. It's all about the shape of the sound. With a saxophone, the attack is soft and the body fuller. Therefore, reproducing those two sounds are two completely different challenges. A headphone has to be fast, dynamic, precise for a guitar and warm, full for a saxophone. With orchestras, the challenge there, is instrument seperation, feeling of spacing, volume, atmosphere etc.

Which of these kinds of sounds do they mean the K501 is good at when they say "classical music"?

Jun 9, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piffles
In most of the reviews of the K501 on the web, I read "great for classical music". Okay, but what do they call "classical music" in the first place?

Classical music could mean anything: solo guitar, solo piano, solo violin, cello + guitar duos, flute + sax duos, orchestral works, etc. You can play classical music with a frying pan if you want! A headphone that would be "great" at reproducing all the instruments used in classical music would be a great headphone period, because ALL instruments are used in classical music. So what's the point of saying "classical"?

A guitar has a radically different sound signature to a saxophone for example. The guitar's attack is sharp and the sound has little body. It's all about the shape of the sound. With a saxophone, the attack is soft and the body fuller. Therefore, reproducing those two sounds are two completely different challenges. A headphone has to be fast, dynamic, precise for a guitar and warm, full for a saxophone. With orchestras, the challenge there, is instrument seperation, feeling of spacing, volume, atmosphere etc.

Which of these kinds of sounds do they mean the K501 is good at when they say "classical music"?

The K501 produce a very striking midrange, with a great deal of airyness, space and detail. Their presentation includes good spacial location and soundstaging.

With violins, cello's etc, they allow you to hear the friction of the rosined bow on the strings, and the resonances of the wood.

With a sax, you can hear the 'breathiness' as the tone builds up in the instrument and begins to exit growing into it's full blossom, yet it does have the speed to reproduce guitars exceptionally well (particularly acoustic guitars, but also electric).

Unfortunately this does not answer your question, particularly as I do not feel this limits K501 to any one genre, but that it is more a matter of coice as to the type of presentation you prefer.

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 18
i would also add that, from my brief experiences with the K501, it is either a little thin in the bass or not as hyped (and certainly nowhere near as blended and thick) in the bass as the grado SR60 (my main, non-critical headphones). this leaves rock, hip hop -- pretty much anything pop -- feeling a little thin. considering that most orchestral music (organ material notwithstanding) simply doesn't have the bass content that pop music does, i think, lends these headphones to that description.

robb.

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 18
The lesser bombastical the classical was, the better I liked my buddie's K501. They do better with i.e. violin quartets or renaissance madrigals than with Tchaikowsky's 1812 IMO.

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 18
Ah... ok.
From what you say, I would conclude that "for classical music" actually means "not very good at electric bass".

So pretty much okay for everything (classical, jazz - and the upright acoustic bass, moody ambiental stuff, country acoustic stuff, etc) except pop, rock and especially things like Another one Bites the Dust.
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 18
While I'm at it, here's another question:

I'm a big fan of classical guitar and Flamenco. I'm looking for a headphone that would do those things especially well (my HD595s are not doing too well on them). I'm getting the impression the 501s would be the ideal candidate for providing the necessary dry, quick, lively sound.

How do the 501s handle percussions? Flamenco includes a lot of percussion like clapping, stamping and especially the "cajón flamenco" which gives the bass. But it's not really heavy bass, probably has a similar frequency content to congas or the acoustic upright bass.

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

I'm a big fan of classical guitar and Flamenco. I'm looking for a headphone that would do those things especially well (my HD595s are not doing too well on them). I'm getting the impression the 501s would be the ideal candidate for provided the necessary dry, quick, lively sound.

How do the 501s handle percussions? Flamenco includes a lot of percussion like clapping, stamping and especially the "cajón flamenco" which gives the bass. But it's not really heavy bass, probably has a similar frequency content to congas or the acoustic upright bass.

While I never listened to flamenco when I owned the K501, I can specifically recall that they handled classical guitar music with great aplomb.

I no longer own them because of their total bass deficiency. Having said that, there are many people at head-fi who would disagree with this statement. Whether that is due to differing expectations or different versions of the K501 that exist, I am not sure.

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

I'm a big fan of classical guitar and Flamenco. I'm looking for a headphone that would do those things especially well (my HD595s are not doing too well on them). I'm getting the impression the 501s would be the ideal candidate for providing the necessary dry, quick, lively sound.

I almost posted to state this a bit earlier, but did not wish to seem I was pushing the K501. But, now that you mentions it . . . .
icon10.gif

AWESOME!
biggrin.gif
These do classical guitar very well (steel string acoustic guitar as well as all acoustic instruments really).
And I think their speed lend to the needed impact for percussion.
Also, something about the presentation and tonal qualities makes the drumheads sound tighter and more tonal (again probably due to the emphasis being on detail more than body).
Best I can explain it is kind of like the way JBL sound systems make a live band sound compared to other systems, you can hear it in the drum hits, there is just a tonality that is all theirs but sounds right to those who like it.

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 18
Solo violin=absolutely exquisite (Beethoven, Brahms, some of the Four Seasons, etc, you know what I'm talking about)

Segovia=amazing

Friday Night in San Francisco=absolutely speechlessly amazing. Esp. Mediterranean Sundance... just amazing. Detail, soundstage, quality of the sound, just everything.

Why? Just have to experience it for yourself.

Jun 10, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 18
Smaller ensembles are fantastic on the K-501. Quartets, solo work, vocalists, jazz combos (off topic, but still, they're great) and similar sound amazing on these cans.

However, for large orchestral pieces, I prefer a little more impact. The Sennheiser HD-650 is good, but I prefer the AKG K-1000. I'll see what the GS-1000 does with large orchestras; I have high hopes.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 18
hi, you might wanna try the audio technica W1000 as well.. very very real and life like for guitars...

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 18
Okay, that's it. I just can't resist any longer. I'm swapping my HD595 for an AKG K501 with a pal in Germany who's looking for some new "allrounder" phones.

Oh dear, I'm already well and truely addicted to the game...

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Smaller ensembles are fantastic on the K-501. Quartets, solo work, vocalists, jazz combos (off topic, but still, they're great) and similar sound amazing on these cans.

However, for large orchestral pieces, I prefer a little more impact. The Sennheiser HD-650 is good, but I prefer the AKG K-1000. I'll see what the GS-1000 does with large orchestras; I have high hopes.

The GS-1000 does large scale orchestras very well, but for me, the K1000 is still the most magical for this.
gs1000.gif
k1000smile.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik

The GS-1000 does large scale orchestras very well, but for me, the K1000 is still the most magical for this.
gs1000.gif
k1000smile.gif

I do enjoy the K701's for this too even though the 650's may have more low end.

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whorehay
Friday Night in San Francisco=absolutely speechlessly amazing. Esp. Mediterranean Sundance... just amazing. Detail, soundstage, quality of the sound, just everything.

Wow, that's saying a lot considering the quality of this recording is mediocre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back