What do they mean by "for lovers of classical music" in the AKG K501 description?
Jun 10, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piffles
While I'm at it, here's another question:

I'm a big fan of classical guitar and Flamenco. I'm looking for a headphone that would do those things especially well (my HD595s are not doing too well on them). I'm getting the impression the 501s would be the ideal candidate for providing the necessary dry, quick, lively sound.

How do the 501s handle percussions? Flamenco includes a lot of percussion like clapping, stamping and especially the "cajón flamenco" which gives the bass. But it's not really heavy bass, probably has a similar frequency content to congas or the acoustic upright bass.

Sounds like the K501s are what you need. They are gorgeous for classical guitar and the type of percussions you're mentioning. I wholeheartedly agree with NiceCans, Whorehay and Uncle Erik's comments and I would add that (IMO and with the K501 version I have, i.e. the "more holes" one - see http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=125648&page=3) they have a very tactile, solid midrange that gives the various percussions (among others) a very nice, realistic and foot-tapping character.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #17 of 18
I suppose it's because some heavy metal music sounds ridiculous in these.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #18 of 18
K501 is very fast, so precussion is not a problem as long as i is not below 50 Hz.
DT880 has more bass and more liveliness, but also brighter in the treble.
But DT880 also faces a stiff competition in its price range against K701.
If bidget allows, I would say K701 is the most neutral headphone below $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back