What do Pro and Anti Cablers Agree on?
Aug 15, 2009 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 120

Shark_Jump

100+ Head-Fier
What do Pro and Anti Cablers Agree on?

There must be some ground for agreement.

Do Pro and Anti Cablers Agree that:

Cables do not exhibit any electrical properties other resistance, impedance and capacitance.

Differences in cable electrical properties do exist. (The debate between the two sides is if the differences are significant enough to be audible).

Shielding of cables can improve performance by preventing noise or other interference being picked up by the cable.

Anything else?

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 120
That cables make a difference...
No cable = no sound.
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 120
That the price of some aftermarket cables is marked up hundreds, if not thousands, of percent over the cost of materials, labor and overhead.

Further, that should give you more insight into the truth behind cables than the most precise scientific instrument or the most subjective listening test.

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 120
Both sides seem to agree that some people do people hear/perceive a differences in cables. The arguments is whether or not this perception is based on the actual physical performance of the thing or is a "placebo" effect of expectations of a change.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both sides agree that the other side is wrong.

Because they have data, tests and information that backs up what they agree on.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 120
Being a cable non-believer, I definitely believe that it's worth it buy aftermarket cables (<$100) for build quality and looks compared to the cheap crap the comes with some gear.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 120
<$100 you say? Wow you sure have some cash to burn! Build quality is not THAT expensive. And looks not so much either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<$100 you say? Wow you sure have some cash to burn! Build quality is not THAT expensive. And looks not so much either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, what I am saying is that there are very minimal gains to be made beyond $100. IMO, there aren't gains to be made beyond $50 for a standard length RCA.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 120
I think both sides agree that for the retail price of many commercial cables, you can buy a lot better gear that will give you a much greater improvement in SQ.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 120
Custom cable companies have to survive too. Actually jk financial survival isn't really in vogue nowadays. I think pro and anti cablers agree that the economy is pretty bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back