What do people think about the SE530 and TripleFi 10 6 driver customs? Sidegrades are bad.
Dec 19, 2010 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ProjectDenz

Headphoneus Supremus

Hi there, owning the SE530 and TripleFi10 has made me very unhappy. Don't get me wrong both sound excellent. However my problem is when I listen to one of these for a while it brings out the flaws in the other and hence when I listen to either one of these I can't help but notice the flaws, which makes me unhappy.

I will provide a few examples:

When I listen to my SE530 the midrange sounds nice but the treble sounds very harsh and rolled off compared to the TripleFi 10. Bass has a good amount of quantity to it but does not extend as well as the TripleFi 10. The overall sound is quite full but lacks the clarity and cleanliness of the TF10.

When I listen to my TF10s after listening to my SE530s I notice that the midrange sucks making the overall sound to be a bit hollow. Bass has more punch to it but still does not extend as well as I like, and does not have satisfactory quantity like the SE530.

All of this has just made me want to upgrade. Now here's my problem the only good upgrade I can see from here is to upgrade the SE530 or TF10 into a 6 driver custom from Unique Melody. I do not wish to get a whole new custom as it will just cost too much more than having these remoulded - and I really do like these, it's just that their flaws keep bugging me.

Now who here has heard either of these 6 driver customs? Do they fix the flaws of the SE530 and TripleFi 10? Which one would you recommend more? I listen mainly to trance music and hip-hop and have the HiFiMan HM-601.

If it means anything the SE530 custom will be a bit cheaper since I am getting another SE530 (with split wires) from my friend who decided to upgrade to the Miracles from UM.

Thanks in advance guys, I know this is a pretty obscure question but any help would be appreciated.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 3
I have TF10 quad drivers that I bought from someone on this forum, and had reshelled by Fisher Hearing.

For me, the 4 driver upgrade has been outstanding.  The mids were brought forward so they're very lush and detailed.  The only (minor) drawback is that the soundstage was reduced - because the vocals were brought so much closer, where before they sounded a good distance behind the instruments.

I think there's only one person who's heard both the 6 driver customs - and that was the guy that started the Unique Melody review threads.  You definitely should read through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back