What defines a Headfier?
Sep 24, 2005 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

AndyKatz

100+ Head-Fier
Not surprisingly when my wife saw the HF 1 as homework thread post calling her an (admittedly reluctant), Headfier, she protested.

"I only care about comfort," she said. "I wouldn't know from sound!"

"But you carefully selected your 'phones [ER 6] based on comfort, ease of use, portability and durability," I protested. "Just as you carefully evaluated various sources before settling on the Zen!"

"They come in different colors," she reminded me.

So, is she a Headfier?

What are the basic criteria that separate Homo sapiens Headphoneus from normal folk?

Andy

Sep 24, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 39
Just being aware of the fact that headphones are a distinct component in the stereo chain and not a mere accessory would be enlightenment enough.

After the above enlightenment poverty is usually the next phase \ indication.

Mitch

Sep 24, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz
What are the basic criteria that separate Homo sapiens Headphoneus from normal folk?

- He can pay more than 100€ for one single Headphone
- He knows about the Existence of Headphone-Amps
- He has no Problem having more than one Headphone

These criteria are based on comments of other persons around me who can't understand my hobby

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 39
I think that if she cares enough about the hobby to check out the threads, then she's one of us
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 39
If youve posted around 100 times or more in this website, It is a pretty good indication that you care about this stuff more than the normal person does. The regular person will usually ask one question then buy and leave this site altogether and be happy with his purchase

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz
Not surprisingly when my wife saw the HF 1 as homework thread post calling her an (admittedly reluctant), Headfier, she protested.

"I only care about comfort," she said. "I wouldn't know from sound!"

"But you carefully selected your 'phones [ER 6] based on comfort, ease of use, portability and durability," I protested. "Just as you carefully evaluated various sources before settling on the Zen!"

"They come in different colors," she reminded me.

So, is she a Headfier?

Andy

I suppose a Head-fier would have to fit the general criteria of caring about sound and a regular to the forums of Head-fi (be it lurker or regular poster). Your wife deems that comfort is the most important thing in a pair of headphones and has shown to be oblivious to how it sounds. Also she seems to have purchased the Zen solely based on the fact that it comes in different colors (fashion accessory?). She is in no way a head-fier based on those observations. A closeted head-fier perhaps?
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 39
Membership at Head-Fi.org defines a Head-Fier, and then a Headphoneus Supremus is somebody with a post count above 1500. A Contributor is somebody who contributes financially. I cannot see any other criteria.

That was dry... I know, but that is all there is to it, IMHO.

I think somebody here would like to get a diploma to frame on the wall.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 39
Dude, you know you're a head-fi'er when you're looking at the unusual head-amp at the bottom of the pict, instead of the hawaiian shirted, head headphone geek.
icon10.gif

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back