What decade do you wish you grew up in?
Jun 19, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1980s were pure awesomeness. Who doesn't love that decade?

dynasty546x20.jpg

I hate the 80's!
Very bad music, decline of the LP, what's not to dislike in that decade....
I'm glad I grew up in the seventies, missed the sixties though (born in 1960).

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5020s.

Seconded. Although I might go for something in this millennium... like 2820 or something like that. We aren't even going to walk on Mars until I'm in my 50's or 60's. That honestly really pisses me off...

Now playing: Andrew Bird - Fiery Crash

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #19 of 32
2060s. Seriously, once we get past WW3 everything's a utopia!

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate the 80's!
Very bad music, decline of the LP, what's not to dislike in that decade....
I'm glad I grew up in the seventies, missed the sixties though (born in 1960).

Oh, come on. It wasn't that bad and there were good times. Back before the Internets became all the craze. The music, the fashion, that 80s hair!

10897189_l.jpg

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #21 of 32
The recent decades, I would've been lynched else-wise.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, come on. It wasn't that bad and there were good times. Back before the Internets became all the craze. The music, the fashion, that 80s hair!

10897189_l.jpg

The picture proves my point
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #23 of 32
I am pleased with growing up in the 70's and 80's. Do see how I could have done any better growing up at some other time...

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #25 of 32
Hmmm... I think I would have liked it growing up in the 70s (like that 70s show) but I'm actually happy that I grew up in the 90s-2000. I think I would have liked it being born about 10 years before I was actually born (1982 instead of 1992)..

After thinking a bit I decided that I'm glad that I wasn't born at the 60s-70s.. Too many wars (1967 six day war, 1973 kippur war, the Vietnam war spreading over 2 decades)

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #27 of 32
Idk all I have to say is I was born in '91 and its a shame what cartoons kids have these days. The cartoons seem to get progressively worse!

When I grew up I was watching older shows like Tom and Jerry, Yogi Bear, but my favorite of them all had to be DUCK TALES (ducktales)! Cant forget about Jonny Quest.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #28 of 32
The 1920s in New York and 30s in Hollywood would be my destination if they ever invent a time machine. I grew up in the 60s and 70s and culture got progressively worse and worse. It may still be going downhill.

See ya
Steve

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #29 of 32
'80s-'90s was just fine with me.

Definitely not the '50s-'70s though. The thought of running around a godforsaken jungle with a Type 56 and getting turned into burnt crunchy bits by the French or Americans isn't very appealing.

Jun 19, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #30 of 32
My favorite decade to grow up in the USA gets a bad rap by the media cause the Moms were all at home taking care of the kids and family, instead of having to go out to work everyday. The Man-o-the-House had enough income to support the family, and the economy was set-up so that right after High School a young man could walk into a good enough job to buy a new car every three years...or maybe even every year! Doggone if those new models that came out each year weren't darned pretty! And a simple two bedroom, no garage, starter-home to begin to raise a family.

It was a "Bad" time, they tell us; cause it was an "Innocent" time. What's the alternative to Innocent? Sure; "Ozzie and Harriet" and "Leave it to Beaver" were a bit boring plots for TV shows, but they reflected almost an ideal that was nearly the standard of life in the US. Lets face it; it's a lot easier to devise a plot for a TV show or movie if divorce and strife are the order of the day, and unfortunately; instead of the Movies following Middle-Class reality, the "New more diverse Reality" of the media seems to have dictated the flow of domestic life.

Kids had lots of good swear words that they'd never used before to look forward to using when they grew up. Swearing was not used in music or movies or on TV.

Sex was something else saved for the grown-ups. And you could pretty well expect to have a marriage last for an entire lifetime.

Drugs were bought at the Drug Store where the soda fountain was located, and about the worse thing a Sports Hero was ever caught doing was maybe scratching himself unexpectedly on camera.

Would I wanna grow up today? Hel....uh, Heck No!

Give me the Fifties! It was a nice safe secure and comfortable place to be a kid.

And I loved it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back