What DAC's in the $500 range compare well to the $1k+ DACs?
Sep 19, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is this exactly?

Play a tune via USB whilst moving your USB mouse about and printing a page via your USB printer. It is an extreme example, but it shows up one major fault of USB audio,namely IRQ induced data polling . If you heard about IRQ in computer speak, you'll get the idea.

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 35
Just trust us? It is not as clean as Coax.

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ori modded Zhalou comes to mind. That DIY Opus? Twisted Pear? Whatever something like that.

X 8 on OMZ.

although I'm also curious about this new Twisted Pear Audio's OPUS DAC.

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #19 of 35
Someone compared the OMZ to DA10 or DAC1? Is people only repeating what a minority of people are saying in the some thread or really the general consensus of people that give them both a try?

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #20 of 35
Sep 27, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #21 of 35
ast had a lavry dac10 and sold it and kept the ori mod.

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #22 of 35
Blessingx heard the Ori Mod and kept his DA10.
wink.gif

Actually for half the price the Ori does very very well and should be heavily considered. Although it's not USB (but is wireless) I'd toss the Squeezebox 3 as a DAC in here too and it's even half the price of the Ori.

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blessingx heard the Ori Mod and kept his DA10.
wink.gif

DA10 is a very fine DAC (that's why I bought them in the first place) When I got OMZ at home, I A/B'ed extensively by varouis headphones. The conclusion is without any doubt. OMZ has noticeably better instrument separation and '3D' effect, sound stage is wider. I am a little surprised that you concluded the other way -- were they A/B'ed under same system? DA10 is a tad more warmer comparing to OMZ so if you prefer that sound signature then it's another story.

cheers.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #26 of 35
How does the OMZ compare to the Citypulse DA7.2xII? I plan on eventually going balanced, so it would be nice to not have to worry about the DAC...

Then again, bigger and better things are always coming out, so it would probably be smarter to get a balanced DAC, when goinjg balanced.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know a good headphone amp to pair up with the OMZ thats around $300-500 as well?

depends what headphones you're going to use them with

i used my OMZ + K701 plugged into my modded heed canamp with great success

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know a good headphone amp to pair up with the OMZ thats around $300-500 as well?

If you can wait for a few months, I believe Ori will release a best match headphone amp with his OMZ!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back