What dac? Laptop optical out >> ??? >>> woo audio wa6 SE >> hd 650
Jun 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

thenewguy21

Head-Fier
Any thoughts on what would be a good dac for my combination? I owned a little dot dac 1 but it just did not seem to bring out the best in my headphones. I would not say the sky is the limit for price but I want to get something that will do justice to my woo audio amp. Any help is appreciated.

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 13
I would be interested in the answer to this question as well, especially right around the cost of the Woo Audio WDS-1, which is extremely tempting.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 13
Not sure what connectivity you will need but I'll throw a couple suggestions your way.  The Woo DAC is going to be quite bright and lean, nothing wrong with that, but it is not designed for a rich sound sig.  Something else in the same price point would be an Audio Note DAC 2.1, which will blow the Woo out of the water by a far margin.  It will also compliment your 650's quite well, I have the 3.1 and it is absolutely fantastic with the 650s.  Here is a quick comparison with some current solid state gear.  At such a price point I wouldn't be afraid to grab a deal off of audiogon, especially if you don't need a thousand input options.  A lot of these DACs that are only a year old are being tossed because of the "input race" so something that was quite a large sum is now hugely discounted (assuming you don't need all the new inputs).  Another DAC to keep in mind would be anything from the Bel Canto series.  These are really top quality DACs that can compete with the really highend out there (5,000 and up) unlike a lot of the popular DACs floating around.  Anyway, if you could specify what you really want in a DAC I think we could offer you some more advice.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 13
If you want to keep your Woo's sound sig with no coloration from the DAC - and I think that is the way it is supposed to be - have a look at Metrum Acoustics Octave. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 13
A little late on the reply but I was looking for a dac that would not add anything to the sound. It does not need to have a USB out, just a optical out, and i do not need it to be balanced. I could hardly tell the difference with my little dot dac 1 on my headphones. When I used it with my stereo system it killed all the harshness though. I'm looking at more around the 400-500 range. I just want a dac that would clear up the vocals. My ultimate system would have crystal clear vocals with a good amount of defined bass. I listen to a lot of dance type music where vocals and bass are the key elements.

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 13
I personally would recommend something with USB, especially if you have the option of setting up a computer based rig. I recently bought a Peachtree iNova (refurb direct from Peachtree) to replace my Music Hall Mambo. Initially the iNova was connected to my Macbook Pro's optical out same as I had done with the Mambo. Then I started reading about programs like Aurirvana and "integer" DAC modes and such. I decided to try a USB cable I had lying around and the improvement over Toslink optical was startling. The USB trounced optical in so many ways that I now consider USB with "integer mode" a  must-have feature for any DAC.

The DAC only version of the iNova is the iDAC and is also available as a refurb. I know it's over your budget but it is Stereophile "Class-A" rated.

Good luck.

- Kam

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Nice looks like they have a sale on stuck button idacs. 400 bucks off. Sad the iPhone dock will not work with new Connector.
frown.gif

The iPhone dock ought to work with an adapter cable, best check with Peachtree to be sure.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 13
I love how my WA6SE pairs with the Stello DA100. Often found in FS forums for $400 or so.  Great DAC even after all these years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back