What computer speakers to get?
Feb 21, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #391 of 515
The bass in Edifier s350db is excellent - punchy, clear, no hearable rattling, well balanced. For example, on Edifier S350DB, Stevie Wonder - Superstition sounds remarkably better, alive, wide and unified. The song is "alive". Though that wasnt the case on JBL 305.
I connected JBL305 on AVR UPS, used different 3.5mm to 1/4 TS mono cables (Hosa CMP, even Black Rhodium) - whatever cables ive used they still had a noticeable hiss. They produced hiss when disconnected from sound source, so it was the amp itself that had problems.

As for Edifier S350DB i didnt even had to test different cables. Packaged with the system there are RCA and digital optical cables. Right out of the box ive connected them via bluetooth (aptx supported) and the sound was a pleasure. Then i tried RCA connection to laptop (acer a717g, which has realtek "junk" dac): they performed extremelly well. Clear highs and mids, punchy bass, no rattling, soundstage was open, room was filled with sound (6x4x3m) and there was no distortion on any volume level. For the price - they are remarkable.
You can check the review on youtube (i saw it after buying:)

I have not watched the video yet, but will soon. Thanks for posting it.

Why don't you like the realtek DAC? I'm partially asking because I have a new PC with a built-in ESS Sabre Hi-Fi ES9023P DAC. I haven't really tested it, since one of my speakers just started hissing. So it's not a great time to test things. I sent it in for repair, it should arrive there tomorrow. Hopefully Emotiva can fix it. Do you have any thoughts on that DAC that's on my motherboard? I didn't pay as much attention to it, because there were other more important items when choosing my motherboard.

One last update as the system is now complete:

Now elevated. It makes a huge difference, but not just the angle.
smile.gif
Just one Yoga block flat is four inches high. I think with the speaker angle that is enough. The really big deal is the isolation from the desk. These can now really go off without shaking the whole desk and creating a rumble. Now you can just feel the bass pop when called upon. Keep in mind that I am not a bass head.

Some numbers:
My desk is 28 inches off the floor.
I am 6ft with a long torso.
The top of my speaker is now 40" off the floor
Just got my wife to measure floor to middle ear = 49"
Just did another test with a level from tweeter to my head. The tweeter is actually shooting above my ear. If I fold over my very thin Vanatoo cushion and place it under the rear of the speaker it gets me perfect treble to ear alignment. While my wife stands there giving me an "I am married to an idiot!" look.
biggrin.gif

Assuming my table is average height, you only need two Yoga blocks, one for each speaker. I went with the standard 9" X 6" X 4". There are different styles available. They were $12.00 a pair on Amazon.ca

With the volume button, one dot is off. I would never hit two dots in an apartment. You would be that guy. Hated by neighbours and eventually evicted.

They sound great and I am thrilled. Total landed cost, with tax, was about $550.00 in Canuck bucks.

Shane D
Attached Thumbnails

Thanks for the post, and for providing details about your setup.

I too had to figure out how to get the best placement for my Airmotiv 6s, when I got them. It took a few weeks, but having just the right angle made a big difference.

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #392 of 515
I've never had monitors w/pleated ribbon tweeters like the Airmotivs. But from what I read, it's particularly important to get the height of these monitors dialed in (vs height of one's head/ears while seated) because those tweeters have very limited vertical dispersion.

They make up for it w/all kinds of horizontal dispersion, though.

And speaking of computer speakers--I just ordered a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225s (got a great price). I've been very interested in these, curious how they'd sound in place of my very very good passive monitors (ATC SCM12 Pro's).

The ATCs aren't going anywhere (they'll be stored while the 225s are IMS). I just want to hear a differently "voiced" monitor. And it's important to note that the 225s are said to be nearly impervious to position vs the back wall. I can only get the monitors ~1 ft. from back wall (most take up w/large picture window covered w/dense blinds). The ATCs, being a sealed design, are also good for this kind of placement.

Will report back when I've heard the 225s.

All this is making me very glad I picked up a high quality class D amp that is standing on its side on my cramped desktop (ventilation is nearly irrelevant w/class D amps). That opened up the whole issue of trying different passives.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #393 of 515
I've never had monitors w/pleated ribbon tweeters like the Airmotivs. But from what I read, it's particularly important to get the height of these monitors dialed in (vs height of one's head/ears while seated) because those tweeters have very limited vertical dispersion.

They make up for it w/all kinds of horizontal dispersion, though.

And speaking of computer speakers--I just ordered a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225s (got a great price). I've been very interested in these, curious how they'd sound in place of my very very good passive monitors (ATC SCM12 Pro's).

The ATCs aren't going anywhere (they'll be stored while the 225s are IMS). I just want to hear a differently "voiced" monitor. And it's important to note that the 225s are said to be nearly impervious to position vs the back wall. I can only get the monitors ~1 ft. from back wall (most take up w/large picture window covered w/dense blinds). The ATCs, being a sealed design, are also good for this kind of placement.

Will report back when I've heard the 225s.

All this is making me very glad I picked up a high quality class D amp that is standing on its side on my cramped desktop (ventilation is nearly irrelevant w/class D amps). That opened up the whole issue of trying different passives.

Thank you. If my Airmotiv 6s can't be repaired and I have to look for a new set (rather than having a mis-matched set), I will consider the Diamond 225.

Also look forward to your feedback about them.

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #394 of 515
Thank you. If my Airmotiv 6s can't be repaired and I have to look for a new set (rather than having a mis-matched set), I will consider the Diamond 225.

Also look forward to your feedback about them.

N.P.

And forgive me if I'm repeating myself now (am in a hurry & no time to check past posts here)-- but if you really like that ribbon sound, I've heard a lot of good things about the HEDD audio monitors. The smaller one w/5" woofer is the "Type 05," and the larger one w/7" monitor is the "Type 07."

These are nearfields said to sound very musical. I would have one right now except the small one was a bit undersized for my desk, and the big one is a big too large.

They're not cheap, but when you get music studio pros to say nice things about monitor sound, it must sound pretty good (because the pros are not listening for music appreciation and don't usually pay much attention to that).

(for what it's worth).

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #395 of 515
I have not watched the video yet, but will soon. Thanks for posting it.

Why don't you like the realtek DAC? I'm partially asking because I have a new PC with a built-in ESS Sabre Hi-Fi ES9023P DAC. I haven't really tested it, since one of my speakers just started hissing. So it's not a great time to test things. I sent it in for repair, it should arrive there tomorrow. Hopefully Emotiva can fix it. Do you have any thoughts on that DAC that's on my motherboard? I didn't pay as much attention to it, because there were other more important items when choosing my motherboard.

Thanks for the post, and for providing details about your setup.

I too had to figure out how to get the best placement for my Airmotiv 6s, when I got them. It took a few weeks, but having just the right angle made a big difference.

Realtek DAC in Acer A717 is low quality converter. Sort of a low budget solution in expensive laptop :) Compared to Focusrite Scarlet DAC (when connected from PC > USB > Focusrite > Active speakers) - Focusrite provided much better sound quality (imaging, full bodied sound). I dont have any experience with Sabre ES9023P DAC, but its certainly much better then generic Realtek. According to specifications it features 2Vrms Driver (0.5 Vrms in Realtek), 112dB dynamic range and jitter reduction.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #396 of 515
Update on my monitor speaker set-up:
For the past 2+ weeks I've been slowly burning in a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225s (installed where the ATC SCM 12 Pros usually go, powered by a big Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 class D amp). Last night I finally had the opportunity to crank them up. Very interesting contrast between these 2 rather different monitors:
  • The Diamonds are obviously less focused, precise, clear, and detailed than the ATCs. They have a more diffuse, resonant sound. After the squeeky-clean clarity of the ATCs, this takes getting used to. On streaming radio, announcers voices seem a foot or two behind the speaker (spatial differences there).
  • The Diamonds sound pleasing but nothing special at low volume
  • However, when they're cranked, they get real fun. Still somewhat diffuse & resonant, but way bigger. The tonality is pleasing, as many have said--the opposite of bright & edgy. I can crank them pretty loud and never feel uncomfortable.
  • The Diamonds' mids are pleasing, but nowhere near the density of musical information at the ATCs
  • The 225s ported bass is again, somewhat diffuse (sorry!) compared to the ATCs' whip-crack sealed bass. But it's still good, and at higher volume, sound very good, indeed.
The ATCs are really the inverse of the 225s: superbly clear at any volume, dynamic as all hell, not bright but also not particularly forgiving. These are studio monitors, and they show you everything in your system & music (I mean that in a good way).

Think I have a real ying/yang situation w/these 2 pairs of monitors/speakers. I'll switch them out every 3-4 months to get a new musical experience...

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #397 of 515
Update on my monitor speaker set-up:
For the past 2+ weeks I've been slowly burning in a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225s (installed where the ATC SCM 12 Pros usually go, powered by a big Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 class D amp). Last night I finally had the opportunity to crank them up. Very interesting contrast between these 2 rather different monitors:
  • The Diamonds are obviously less focused, precise, clear, and detailed than the ATCs. They have a more diffuse, resonant sound. After the squeeky-clean clarity of the ATCs, this takes getting used to. On streaming radio, announcers voices seem a foot or two behind the speaker (spatial differences there).
  • The Diamonds sound pleasing but nothing special at low volume
  • However, when they're cranked, they get real fun. Still somewhat diffuse & resonant, but way bigger. The tonality is pleasing, as many have said--the opposite of bright & edgy. I can crank them pretty loud and never feel uncomfortable.
  • The Diamonds' mids are pleasing, but nowhere near the density of musical information at the ATCs
  • The 225s ported bass is again, somewhat diffuse (sorry!) compared to the ATCs' whip-crack sealed bass. But it's still good, and at higher volume, sound very good, indeed.
The ATCs are really the inverse of the 225s: superbly clear at any volume, dynamic as all hell, not bright but also not particularly forgiving. These are studio monitors, and they show you everything in your system & music (I mean that in a good way).

Think I have a real ying/yang situation w/these 2 pairs of monitors/speakers. I'll switch them out every 3-4 months to get a new musical experience...

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you have some good options, whenever you feel like a change.

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #398 of 515
Emotiva contacted me today and said they repaired my unit, and will ship it back.

Here's what they had to do:

+++++++++++++

Extensive overhaul of Power Amp PCB.

Replace 15 capacitors, 3 Molex headers and touch up overheated solder throughout the power amp. Clean preamp pcb; tests silent.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #399 of 515
Emotiva contacted me today and said they repaired my unit, and will ship it back.

Here's what they had to do:

+++++++++++++

Extensive overhaul of Power Amp PCB.

Replace 15 capacitors, 3 Molex headers and touch up overheated solder throughout the power amp. Clean preamp pcb; tests silent.

Hope it didn't cost much--and that it sounds better than new.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #400 of 515
I was recently in this predicament. I originally had the Audioengine A2+ based on reviews and really did not like the way they sounded. Boomy, unresolving - sounded like a very cheap speaker. I got rid of them and picked up the KEF LS50 Wireless instead (a big jump up) and they are just perfect for nearfield listening. They are wireless and operate as a Roon Endpoint.

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #401 of 515
I was recently in this predicament. I originally had the Audioengine A2+ based on reviews and really did not like the way they sounded. Boomy, unresolving - sounded like a very cheap speaker. I got rid of them and picked up the KEF LS50 Wireless instead (a big jump up) and they are just perfect for nearfield listening. They are wireless and operate as a Roon Endpoint.

I've heard much praise of this KEF speaker. Glad it works for you.

Without casting aspersions on speakers people here love, I've found that "computer speakers" (intended to be run from the output of sound cards) aren't comparable to powered studio monitors, studio passives, or consumer passives. So you took a giant step up.

It's not only how much speakers cost--it's about the size & quality of the drivers, the enclosure design, crossover quality, and intended "voicing." My Wharfedale Diamond 225s cost ~25% of the ATC SCM12 Pros, but both are very satisfying in their own ways. And both are quite different from computer speakers...

I lived happily w/computer speakers for a long time. Then I read a review in 2007 (of a powered 2.1 system + DAC) in STEREOPHILE, and suddenly realized there was an entire ladder of escalating quality in desktop audio (really hadn't thought about it before). I bought that system (long gone, by now) and never looked back.

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #402 of 515
Just thought I'd add this in here for people that want a good desktop speaker system but can't have one. Desktop speakers were right out for me for both home and office, so I built headphone systems to use as virtual loudspeaker systems using Out of Your Head, see sig. They double as 7.1 surround systems and can change the speakers with a push of a button. Maybe it sounds gimmicky but I can attest to the fidelity, the externalization, its really quite marvelous, and you can add tactile transducer systems to add to the externalization and immersion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back