What computer speakers to get?
Jul 23, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #107 of 515
If I were to get desktop speakers, i'd get very high end monitors.. Otherwise I use headphones exclusively. I'm sure those are good though. I was saying I think CA is great value for the dollar.

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #108 of 515
If I were to get desktop speakers, I'd get very high end monitors.. Otherwise I use headphones exclusively. I'm sure those are good though. I was saying I think CA is great value for the dollar.

Yes... they are surprisingly very good for the money. The only negative, if you can call it that, is that the volume won't be "screamingly high" but for desktop speakers they will fit the job.  If you are looking for "high end" desktop speakers I would suggest Audioengine A-5 powered speakers (50 watts per channel) with a 5 inch Kevlar woofers & 3/4 inch silk dome tweeters. They are excellent and the bass is room filling. If you have an amp they have passive speakers as well... You can audition for 30-days, free ground shipping, and no sales tax. I have a friend that has these and they sound very very good...... 

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #109 of 515
Question:

I bought those Hosa cables in June.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-159-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B005HGM1D6/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1469751662&sr=1-1&keywords=hosa+159

Haven't ordered the JBL's yet, as I'm waiting for the Airmotiv 6s to also be in stock, so I can order both at the same time.

I saw this package for the JBL's which includes both cables and stands:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZU8ZOO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=5ZOH1613TYZ9&coliid=I1TP0IKV0086PF

Those cables in the package aren't the ones I would have needed though, right? Because they don't have a 3.5mm connector on one end, like the Hosa?

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #110 of 515
  Well, I prefer neutral sound with incredible detail retrieval both in headphones and speakers so I use Yamaha HS7. I use Schiit Asgard 2 as a preamp to easily control the volume level of those speakers.

I've been looking into those the past few days.  They seem comparable to the JBL 308, and the Airmotiv 6s.

I just wish they weren't $100 more per monitor, resulting in a $200 increase.  I thought I could find some deal for a pair, somewhere online, but no such luck.

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #111 of 515

I've been looking into those the past few days.  They seem comparable to the JBL 308, and the Airmotiv 6s.

I just wish they weren't $100 more per monitor, resulting in a $200 increase.  I thought I could find some deal for a pair, somewhere online, but no such luck.

You can't go wrong with all of your options IMO. I chose the Yamaha since it was the closest sounding one to my AKG K712 as reference compared to the other two (M-audio BX8 and KRK rokit 8)I auditioned at a music store. Those 2 monitors aren't available for audition in my area.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #112 of 515
Do any other speakers here have the subwoofer output other than the audio engines?

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #113 of 515
Genelec, Genelec, and Genelec. Nothing, IME, comes close. Furthermore, there is a budget for everyone. They are a near-field monitor, so ideal for what you want. they also look the business. 

I wouldn't look further. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #115 of 515
Do any other speakers here have the subwoofer output other than the audio engines?

They interest me but I can't understand your suggestion they have a 'budget for everyone'..their ''basic'' 8010 or genelec one series all start north of $400...or am I missing something new?

And when I asked a rep for smallish without a sub needed ( I still want good low end without a subwoofer) it was suggested to go to genelec 2 or 8020 series ...even 8030...then the price kicks way up there

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #116 of 515
They interest me but I can't understand your suggestion they have a 'budget for everyone'..their ''basic'' 8010 or genelec one series all start north of $400...or am I missing something new?

And when I asked a rep for smallish without a sub needed ( I still want good low end without a subwoofer) it was suggested to go to genelec 2 or 8020 series ...even 8030...then the price kicks way up there

6010, which i have in the bedroom, need a sub IMO, depending how much you want out of them in the lower regions. Soon as you reach 8040 levels, a sub doesn't become so essential. Don't get me wrong, I believe the 6010 will shock you, but after some time, you'll be wanting more in the lower regions. There are often plenty on eBay, but new, price wise, I don't think you can buy cheaper than from these guys who buy in bulk, thefore others simply cannot complete with their prices. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/genelec_active_nearfield_monitors.html

I have the 6010, 8040 and 8240 (i think, with a digital input and room correction). Room correction isn't necessary at a desk, in my opinion. Depends how much you are wiling to spend but my experience is they have a transparent sound, and the more you spend, you simply get more of what you were getting before if it that make sense. No need to spend big money on them at all, but I appreciate, soon as you factor in a sub. things become a but more costly. If you have a budget in mind, I may be able to guide you a little more specifically. Also, how loud do you listen? I must admit, the 8040 with their bottom of the line sub is mighty impressive. But, as are the 6010 at their price point. 

This would be the direction I would be going in like myself, but, as ever, your money, my view. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #118 of 515
6010, which i have in the bedroom, need a sub IMO, depending how much you want out of them in the lower regions. Soon as you reach 8040 levels, a sub doesn't become so essential. Don't get me wrong, I believe the 6010 will shock you, but after some time, you'll be wanting more in the lower regions. There are often plenty on eBay, but new, price wise, I don't think you can buy cheaper than from these guys who buy in bulk, thefore others simply cannot complete with their prices. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/genelec_active_nearfield_monitors.html

I have the 6010, 8040 and 8240 (i think, with a digital input and room correction). Room correction isn't necessary at a desk, in my opinion. Depends how much you are wiling to spend but my experience is they have a transparent sound, and the more you spend, you simply get more of what you were getting before if it that make sense. No need to spend big money on them at all, but I appreciate, soon as you factor in a sub. things become a but more costly. If you have a budget in mind, I may be able to guide you a little more specifically. Also, how loud do you listen? I must admit, the 8040 with their bottom of the line sub is mighty impressive. But, as are the 6010 at their price point. 

This would be the direction I would be going in like myself, but, as ever, your money, my view. 

Thanks...would not be playing at loud volumes...for a smallish kitchen table/desk...have you heard the emotive 4s or Yamaha ym7s?

That link...imo genelec should cut down on the choices offered... they're as bad as going on audio technica site and seeing way too many iems.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #120 of 515
IMO, studio monitors have a more directional flow of sound compared to consumer speakers so unless you're using it near-field, the studio monitor won't sound right (most likely bass boosted with muted treble).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back