What computer speakers to get?
Sep 19, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #301 of 515
Not directed towards me, but he has the ZenPro Mod Yamaha HS7, meaning the amp section is upgraded with audiophile parts and the circuit protection limiter is removed to allow full response of bass and low mid-range.

I do have the stock ones, but never heard the modded one. IMO they sound full to me without hearing any limitations in their response or loudness

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #302 of 515
I read thousands of user comments for dozens & dozens of monitors that interested me. And of all the Heil/ART tweeter-included designs, the Emotiva and Hedd models were more often described as actually sounding good.

By contrast, many other models with those tweeters were fairly often described as being extremely "detailed," "accurate," having "razor-sharp transients," and all the other code-words for BRIGHT.

Just curious, is there a track or part of a track that you think would be too bright on other monitors, but sound good to you on the ZenPro Mod HS7?

Not directed towards me, but he has the ZenPro Mod Yamaha HS7, meaning the amp section is upgraded with audiophile parts and the circuit protection limiter is removed to allow full response of bass and low mid-range.

I do have the stock ones, but never heard the modded one. IMO they sound full to me without hearing any limitations in their response or loudness

Thanks for your input too.

What did the circuit protection limiter do?

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #303 of 515

I really don't know, but according to ZenPro audio, removing it allows the mid-bass and bass region to sound full. Anyways, I don't find the stock speakers lacking in those frequencies 'cause if it did, I would've returned them in a heartbeat.

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #304 of 515
If you like them, then that's all that matters.

I'm glad you found something you're happy with.

+1!!
Thanks for sharing.

I had those systems shipped. Then after trying them out, I returned the ones I didn't want.

I had both side by side (so all I would have to do is just switch the 3.5mm cable going into my PC sound card). They took up a lot of desk space, haha. But it's what I had to do if I wanted to compare 2 things.

If I'm reading this post correctly below, you have the Yamaha HS7?

Yup--Yamaha HS7s. But not stock--mine are new & modded by ZenPro. I've never heard stock HS7s, but a few people who've heard them stock vs Zenpro modded said the modded ones sounded better (that's why I ordered them). It added ~100 to the cost, but so far, I'm mostly satisfied.

I'm running them w/balanced input, which is a pain, since I had to research SE-to-balanced converters, then find a used example of the best-reviewed one. Using it adds to wiring complexity, especially in conjunction w/the sub--but it sounds pretty good, so I'm not going to mess w/success.

FYI, I ran the HS7s direct out of the Violectric V281's balanced outputs for a time (w/the sub disconnected), and that's when they sounded their very best.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #306 of 515
Just curious, is there a track or part of a track that you think would be too bright on other monitors, but sound good to you on the ZenPro Mod HS7?

Thanks for your input too.

Somehow I managed to miss this post...a couple recent posts.

Re this ("is there a track or part of a track that you think would be too bright on other monitors, but sound good to you on the ZenPro Mod HS7?")--hard to directly answer that. The real truth is a little more nuanced:
  • The Zenpro modded HS7s are "voiced" completely differently from the 2 other pairs of powered monitors I've had (1 was very clear but slightly bright on everything/every volume; the other was less clear, more euphonic/"musical" sounding, but lacking resolution, especially in upper midrange/treble.
  • My HS7s had this one unusual (to me) quality from the first note I heard on them: there's simply more midrange information coming out of them. The other 2 prs of monitors were 2-way designs, just like the HS7s, and all 2 ways face certain challenges in having a great midrange (which typically is exactly where the crossover between drivers lies...it's easier for 3-ways to have a great midrange). The HS7s just put out a lot of information in the midrange, more than I'd heard before.
  • The other outstanding thing about them is their extreme clarity at very low volumes (I do 95% of my 12 hrs/day listening at low volume). My other monitors tended to "fall apart" at low volumes and really come alive w/higher volume, but the HS7s are the opposite: their clarity is identical at low & high volumes; same w/their really good dynamics (loud to soft & vice versa). Even at the lowest volumes, I often find myself startled by this or that instrument or voice on the HS7s, and I mean that in a good way. I can actually listen to them at low volume and hear things.
  • BUT... (isn't there always a fly in the ointment?), at higher volumes some glare & hardness creep in on the HS7s. It's at higher volumes that certain cuts that were borderline bright on the Swans sound outright bright on the HS7s. Not every borderline bright cut sounds bright on the HS7s, which indicated to me that there may be a fairly narrow spike in their upper midrange (just a guess)
In all fairness to the HS7s, there seems to be some kind of burn-in effect still underway, which kind of makes no sense, but I'm actually hearing it. I burned these monitors in a medium to loud volume for 150 hrs in my garage (starting at medium volume and increasing as burn-in commenced)...didn't even try to listen to them seriously until after burnin, which is when the higher volume/brightness anomalies were most apparent. But the other night, months after I first installed them in home office, I got in the mood to crank them--and this time, heard somewhat less brightness, even a high volume. That's not to say these are silky smooth, chill/relaxation monitors--they aren't that (they're very clear & incisive). Still, their sound seems to be slowly changing with time.

One more comment, if you can stand it. I run these balanced only, but to get a balanced signal, I have to put the RCA output pair through a single-ended-to-balanced convertor that came recommended. However, since I also have an amp w/balanced outputs (V281), once I hooked up its balanced outputs directly to the HS7s, something I can only do by sidelining my sub. Anyway, that was a very interesting experience: I got the best sound I'd yet heard out of the HS7s. Difference were very subtle, but all in the direction of more relaxed, less bright character. I haven't figured out how to make use of this finding, though...

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #307 of 515
BUT... (isn't there always a fly in the ointment?), at higher volumes some glare & hardness creep in on the HS7s. It's at higher volumes that certain cuts that were borderline bright on the Swans sound outright bright on the HS7s. Not every borderline bright cut sounds bright on the HS7s, which indicated to me that there may be a fairly narrow spike in their upper midrange (just a guess)

On my stock HS7s, I hear no glares or brightness on upper mid-range even when I outright listen at 90+ db. Maybe it's just my ears aren't sensitive to upper midrange brightness. I do agree though that the HS7's resolution is far above its asking price. IMO, its mids are on par with the more expensive KEF LS 50. The detail retrieval is so good that I hear music that I've never heard before back when I was using mid-fi headphones like the AKG K712 and Sony MDR-1000X.

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #308 of 515
well i'm about to spring for the kef ls50 wls....to replace my naim muso.
might get a kube 2 subwoofer, too...anyone on here have these speakers and care
to give their op? i'd be using them equally for HT and music listening.
prob would hook up my microrendu (with Roon and Tidal)

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #309 of 515
Made a minor step up and figured I might as well share. Was using the Kanto YU2, and was fairly happy with them. Nice size that don't take up a lot of desk space. However lately I had an urge to have speakers with bluetooth. So, after considering a couple of different things, I just took 1 step up to the YU4 instead. Figured if I like the YU2, surely I won't dislike their bigger brother. And I was right. I do not have a sub hooked to them, but they supply ample bass. Tried out the bluetooth and my phone found them immediately. Wish I could say the same for my Fiio DAP. That thing has the worst bluetooth I've encountered. Anyway, got the speakers as a Amazon warehouse special for about $230, usually around $300.

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #310 of 515
Well, I'm on the verge of a major step up...might as well convey it here:

1. For the past 8-9 months, I've been running a pair of Zenpro-modded Yamaha HS7 powered monitors (fed by a balanced cable coming from a single-ended-to-balanced converter, necessary because my whole system is wired single-ended).
2. These monitors are superb for the low-volume listening that I do 95% of the time in home office. They're very clear, accurate-sounding.
3. However, when I crank them up, issues happen: these vented monitors are too close to the back wall (by necessity)...so bass can sound tubby. Also, these monitors tend to sound a little "clangy"/"shouty" in the upper midrange, which makes loud-volume listening less than ideal. In all fairness, when I had them burning in (different room with more space between them & back wall), I really didn't hear either issue...

Anyway, for some time I've been scheming how to fit passive speakers + a stereo amp into this space-constrained system. Finally figured out how to do it (I got a high-quality used class D amp, and will place it on its side to save space). All the necessary cables are on order.

Re passive speakers (unlike powered monitors) there are countless passive 2-way designs out there. Most are general audio quality; some are pricey "audiophile"/high-end designs; and a few are accuracy-oriented studio monitors. As usual for speakers these days, most passive 2-ways are vented designs (which I don't want); but a few are sealed designs--which I do want, for better compatibility w/my space-constrained environment.

For some time I've been interested in ATC, the British company. Their powered monitors were too large, expensive & heavy for my desktop. However, they make passive consumer 2-ways, a couple of which have gotten glowing reviews in the high-end audio press years. The ATC consumer model that fits my desktop is the ATC SCM11 version 2. Problem is it costs $2,500 new (!!), too rich for my blood--and only comes up F.S. rarely.
  • But the "professional" version of this speaker (identical drivers & crossover in a slightly larger, not as pretty cabinet) is the ATC SCM12 Pro. It's a little big for my desktop, but I can make it fit. Just scored a used pair yesterday, arriving this Tuesday. Was really lucky to find them.

I'll have this whole thing wired together mid-week, and very eager to hear what it sounds like. I've never had passive 2-ways in my desktop, only powered ones. This will be an adventure. My goal is to get a passive system that plays just as well @low-volume as the Yamahas, but also sound terrific when cranked.

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #311 of 515
My new/used pair of ATC SCM12 Pro's showed up today. They appear physically perfect, apart from a couple very minor blemishes that the seller fully disclosed (they're hard to even see). Just to ensure they're in working condition, I wired them up to the amp (Wyred4Sound ST-500, big/powerful class D design) using 14 gauge zipcord for speaker wire & RCA interconnects for input to the amp (will be replaced by Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables + balanced input cables on desktop).

Verrrrry interesting. Only listened 5-10 minutes in a sub-standard environment, but what I heard was rather encouraging. These 2-ways are large, heavy, and can get very big in a hurry when the volume goes up--yet play w/finesse & delicacy at low volumes. The level & quality of bass they put out is surprising. It's a sealed design...I'd forgotten the tight/bouncy bass quality sealed designs do.

Will finally get all necessary cables together next week and install the amp + ATCs on desktop. Fingers crossed that it sounds good there...

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #312 of 515
Hi Guys,

I am currently using Audio Engine A5+ and just ordered an Audio-GD r2r 11 dac/hphone amp to upgrade over my current CARAT-RUBY

I use k7xx/dt990 for more gaming and music purposes.

If I were to upgrade from audio engine a5+ at about the same price range or around 500-600 usd

What would be best recommended ? I've seen some of the suggestion and there are too many and I am confused.

Also I notice that most of the suggested speakers such as focal alpha 50, etc have different connection than that of audio engine a5+, does it mean all my current cables are not usable ? because I remember spending quite a few $ here n there getting new cables (power cables, usb, left/right speaker connecting cables) instead of the stock from a5+

Would be good to be able to retain and re-use some of these cables which I thought/assume are better than default/stock ?

My current setup + cables are something like this
bJa0vn

hNTW1S

csJLvn

hxA0vn

https://ibb.co/bJa0vn
https://ibb.co/hNTW1S
https://ibb.co/csJLvn
https://ibb.co/hxA0vn

If so, what set of cables are recommended to get with the new set of recommended speakers ? to connect to my coming r2r 11 then usb to PC.

Adam F5?
Adam F7?
Etc?

Thanks ~

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #313 of 515
Hi Guys,

I am currently using Audio Engine A5+ and just ordered an Audio-GD r2r 11 dac/hphone amp to upgrade over my current CARAT-RUBY

If I were to upgrade from audio engine a5+ at about the same price range or around 500-600 usd

What would be best recommended ? I've seen some of the suggestion and there are too many and I am confused.

Also I notice that most of the suggested speakers such as focal alpha 50, etc have different connection than that of audio engine a5+, does it mean all my current cables are not usable ? because I remember spending quite a few $ here n there getting new cables (power cables, usb, left/right speaker connecting cables) instead of the stock from a5+

Would be good to be able to retain and re-use some of these cables which I thought/assume are better than default/stock ?

bJa0vn

hNTW1S

csJLvn

hxA0vn

If so, what set of cables are recommended to get with the new set of recommended speakers ? to connect to my coming r2r 11 then usb to PC.

Adam F5?
Adam F7?
Etc?

Thanks ~

I've done SO MUCH research on powered monitors in the past year. Already changed monitors twice, about to do so again.

Rather than just spew some of what I've learned, it would be much better if you could provide some basic information about you & your system:

1. What type of sound profile do you like most in audio gear (speakers/monitors in particular)? Examples:
  • Highly detailed, resolving, accurate (ie, you like treble & lots of it)
  • Warm, euphonic, bassy, with enveloping soundstage (ie, you like live acoustic music & wish to recreate that sonic ambience in your system)
  • Something in between...ie, big/impactful bass; or pure, singing midrange; or airy sparkly treble?
BTW, the fact that you're embarking on the R2R/NOS DAC journey (one I've been on for >1 year) indirectly speaks to your sonic preferences. But I can't take that for granted...​

2. Do you lots of room on your desktop for bigger monitors, if those turn out to be best for you?

3. How much room do you have between the back of your A5+'s & the back wall?

4. What kind of music do you typically listen to?

5. Loud volume? Medium volume? Low volume?

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #314 of 515
Hi Guys,

bJa0vn

hNTW1S

csJLvn

hxA0vn

Adam F5?
Adam F7?
Etc?

Thanks ~

pharmaboy has some good points to ponder before moving onwards.
i had the alpha 50, loved them....
https://www.cnet.com/news/leave-it-...sound-of-desktopcomputer-speakers-up-a-notch/
sold them to a sound crew member of Bryan Adams for his own smaller home listening studio.
this said, i'm sure the yammies Y series are good too.
as per cables i used bluejean LC1 with them (on aurolex mopads) these cables are proven, no bullsh*t, belden quality.
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm
i have a pair of mint 8' for sale if you want them, RCA terminated that i used.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #315 of 515
I've done SO MUCH research on powered monitors in the past year. Already changed monitors twice, about to do so again.

Rather than just spew some of what I've learned, it would be much better if you could provide some basic information about you & your system:

1. What type of sound profile do you like most in audio gear (speakers/monitors in particular)? Examples:
  • Highly detailed, resolving, accurate (ie, you like treble & lots of it)
  • Warm, euphonic, bassy, with enveloping soundstage (ie, you like live acoustic music & wish to recreate that sonic ambience in your system)
  • Something in between...ie, big/impactful bass; or pure, singing midrange; or airy sparkly treble?
BTW, the fact that you're embarking on the R2R/NOS DAC journey (one I've been on for >1 year) indirectly speaks to your sonic preferences. But I can't take that for granted...​

2. Do you lots of room on your desktop for bigger monitors, if those turn out to be best for you?

3. How much room do you have between the back of your A5+'s & the back wall?

4. What kind of music do you typically listen to?

5. Loud volume? Medium volume? Low volume?
Wow that several excellent question, Thank you for that and taking the time.

To be honest I have really liked audio for a while, but remain somehow really clueless on those terms and identifying what I like.

However let me try to answer your question as much as possible

I think I like detail and clarity with strong and solid punchy bass but not like overly earthshaking kind or like all over the place kind. I still cant tell whats too much treble or what’s warm yet.

Haha I kind of jump in the r2r 11 wagon because of too many raving reviews and my current one cant even power my ddt990/k7xx properly though I mostly use the headphones for games. Not even sure if i’d prefer the r2r 11 or nfb 11.28 nv tried both. Kind of a leap of faith.

I definitely listen to music more mid to high volume. Not sure about specific type, but Songs I listen to are mostly the updated list from itunes (haha). Example Songs from calvin harris/marshmellow/alanwalker to bruno mars.
Also most of my songs are purchased from itunes are they good enough ?

Sometimes to “act” like an audiophile when testing my gears then i put on norah jones or michael buble and hotel california hahaha thats the best i got...

The nxt thing I am getting asap are speaker stands. I think i have to try with my a5+ off the table and a more proper positioning & height. Space is not an issue. I can move my table for sure to give more spaceX However I am facing a window where my table is placed. Rooms about 6x6m or almost a square.

So bigger monitor sure if within the same price budget ? Kind of looking at adam f7 now.. in my country Indonesia its about 750-900 usd for a pair.

Also what would be a reasonable amount of money or range to spend for speaker/dac that I am looking on cables ? Power cables ? The rca/xlr to connect my speaker to the dac/amp. Etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back