What Component (To You) Has The Biggest Impact On The Sound Of A System?
Jul 31, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #16 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
crappy source+good headphone = good source+crappy headphone

Maybe, but I think average source+great headphone beats great source+average headphone any day. I'm sure someone will produce a counter-example.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #18 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the sound sig:

1. Headphones
2. Amp
3. Source
4. cables

On the Sound quality

1. Source
2. Amp
3. Headphones
4. cables.

+1

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #19 of 131
I can't provide a decent answer because to me it is like asking which component has the biggest impact on the performance of a PC - the answer is always "the part that is causing the biggest bottleneck at the time and for your purpose".

The components work together.

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #20 of 131
1: Headpone
2: Amp
3: Source

With most important no.1
Crappy earbuds with a good source will sound bad. Good hps with a less source (like ipod) will sound better imo.

Jul 31, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #21 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1: Headpone
2: Amp
3: Source

With most important no.1
Crappy earbuds with a good source will sound bad. Good hps with a less source (like ipod) will sound better imo.

sources (like ipod) cost much more than crappy earbuds
wink.gif

good headphone with $2 (like am/fm radio) source will sound pretty equally bad.

Jul 31, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #22 of 131
Source will have the most impact. With a superb source, all of your phones will be at their upmost potential. From the $30 ones to the $300+ ones. And that in my opinion, is what should matter most.

Jul 31, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #23 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sources (like ipod) cost much more than crappy earbuds
wink.gif

good headphone with $2 (like am/fm radio) source will sound pretty equally bad.

That's a lousy analogy. Each of these components has a relative price. The money for a good source and a good headphone are not necessarily equivalent. $2 is not indicative of a low level of quality for all parts. You can spend $2 on batteries, or on one capacitor, or on one cd, etc. This sort of thinking leads to the "I have $1500 to spend, I'll split it equally between cables, transducers, sources and amplification" mentality, which is the wrong way to look at it. A $2 headphone is far better than a $2 source. $300 buys you an average cd player, an excellent set of headphones, or a very low end set of speakers.

Jul 31, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #24 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source will have the most impact. With a superb source, all of your phones will be at their upmost [sic] potential. From the $30 ones to the $300+ ones. And that in my opinion, is what should matter most.

So, in your opinion, how much should someone save up for a source before they buy a pair of headphones to go with it? Do all headphones merit a reference level source?

Jul 31, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #27 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the recording isn't good it won't matter what source, headphones, amp or cable is used. It'll sound bad.

I think accounting for recording quality is what separates audiophiles from just music lovers.

I'm really just a music lover. I make my system as good as it can be, and then I play all sorts of recordings on it. I play some really poorly recorded stuff, and I can hear all the flaws. That's just fine in my book.

Jul 31, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #28 of 131
1. recording
2. headphone
3. source
4. amp

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #30 of 131
Quote:

1. Headphone
2. Source
3. Amplifier
4. Cables

The transducer has the biggest impact, headphones or speakers. If you are looking to build a system, I would start there and build around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back