What closed back headphones to buy next after Audeze LCD-2?
Mar 6, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #16 of 34
Slum it and get a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50X. Everybody has to try one at some point. Or get a Loki and soup up the LCD-2s
Lol - I have a pair of ATH-M50X's! They're just OK compared to the LCD-2's

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #17 of 34
Lol - I have a pair of ATH-M50X's! They're just OK compared to the LCD-2's
I just bought a used pair of Senn HD660S's on eBay...they should be here by Friday. From reading reviews, they seem to be more analytic and bright compared to the LCD-2's. Will probably get a set of closed back's sometime as well...probably Sony's or Aeon Closed...many thanks to all for the advice!

Apr 13, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #18 of 34
I was just about to post the exact same question. I have LZCD-2's and an RME ADI-2 fs. I'd like to know the answer as well, but include "Soundtracks"
I'm surprised know one had suggested Focal Clears (yes I know they're open back), or am I missing something?
(also run a Darkvoice 336 and a Topping e30 just for fun)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #19 of 34
I was just about to post the exact same question. I have LZCD-2's and an RME ADI-2 fs. I'd like to know the answer as well, but include "Soundtracks"
I'm surprised know one had suggested Focal Clears (yes I know they're open back), or am I missing something?
(also run a Darkvoice 336 and a Topping e30 just for fun)
I just pre-ordered OG Clears...so that will be LCD-2f/HD660S/OG Clears for my collection...will post impressions when the Clears arrive

Apr 14, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #20 of 34
Great choice

May 1, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #21 of 34
If wanting to stick with closed, you can sometimes score Fostex TH900mk2 or the ZMF Atticus for around $900. I haven't heard the new Focal lines (Celestee / Radiance), but might be worth checking. I think for a fuller / richer mid-range you might do better with a dynamic driver, rather than planar.

May 1, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #22 of 34
Get headphones that are comfortable. The sennheiser 6xx are great with the asgard. For sure the best value out of the ones you listed.

May 1, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #23 of 34
If wanting to stick with closed, you can sometimes score Fostex TH900mk2 or the ZMF Atticus for around $900. I haven't heard the new Focal lines (Celestee / Radiance), but might be worth checking. I think for a fuller / richer mid-range you might do better with a dynamic driver, rather than planar.
Used I assume?

May 1, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #24 of 34
Of course. Even then those particular ones are a stretch. Just most for the buck if you can. Midrange is tricky for closed, esp under $1000. I have the lcd-2 closed, and while I like it’s articulation in lower and higher frequencies, there is something off in the midrange tuning that feels inconsistent with the rest of the range. I’m not the only one who hears this. Still, the under $1k market for closed is tough. You will compromise something.

May 1, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #25 of 34
Of course. Even then those particular ones are a stretch. Just most for the buck if you can. Midrange is tricky for closed, esp under $1000. I have the lcd-2 closed, and while I like it’s articulation in lower and higher frequencies, there is something off in the midrange tuning that feels inconsistent with the rest of the range. I’m not the only one who hears this. Still, the under $1k market for closed is tough. You will compromise something.
The Fostex and ZMF you mentioned are on my shortlist to complement my LCD-2 Classics. I'm in the decision/do-I-really-want-to-spend-that phase.

May 1, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #26 of 34
The Fostex and ZMF you mentioned are on my shortlist to complement my LCD-2 Classics. I'm in the decision/do-I-really-want-to-spend-that phase.
I totally get that. You are squarely in the "law of diminishing returns" pricing realm for headphones. Like so many, I have bought, sold, re-bought the same cans again and again in this sphere. I'd encourage a couple of things, if I may:

1) Buy used (or open box), but buy gear that holds value well enough not to lose too much in re-sale;
2) Keep the headphones longer than your first impulse to try something else (our ears "burn-in" as much as dampers / drivers can;
3) You don't have to "deep dive" but get acquainted with regular metrics of matching not just ohms, but hertz, when pairing with amp / dac modules (sometimes you don't have to spend as much as you think here;
4) Take notes (this could've saved me a ton of time and effort in the past...create a file on computer / iPad and take notes on first impressions, what's changed, what you thought you wanted and how that changed, pairing options, etc).

I think you'll see that where you started, like so many of us, with desiring clarity, but enough warmth and thump to be fun (perhaps quasi-analytical), but not veiled, ends up realizing that the full scope of mid-range is perhaps the toughest to nail and you'll appreciate it more and more when a headphone gets it right, at least for you. My $.02.

May 1, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #27 of 34
I totally get that. You are squarely in the "law of diminishing returns" pricing realm for headphones. Like so many, I have bought, sold, re-bought the same cans again and again in this sphere. I'd encourage a couple of things, if I may:

1) Buy used (or open box), but buy gear that holds value well enough not to lose too much in re-sale;
2) Keep the headphones longer than your first impulse to try something else (our ears "burn-in" as much as dampers / drivers can;
3) You don't have to "deep dive" but get acquainted with regular metrics of matching not just ohms, but hertz, when pairing with amp / dac modules (sometimes you don't have to spend as much as you think here;
4) Take notes (this could've saved me a ton of time and effort in the past...create a file on computer / iPad and take notes on first impressions, what's changed, what you thought you wanted and how that changed, pairing options, etc).

I think you'll see that where you started, like so many of us, with desiring clarity, but enough warmth and thump to be fun (perhaps quasi-analytical), but not veiled, ends up realizing that the full scope of mid-range is perhaps the toughest to nail and you'll appreciate it more and more when a headphone gets it right, at least for you. My $.02.

Great 2¢. I'm a believer in "fewer good things", so I tend to mull over decisions for a long time. I still regularly listen to my 20-year old SR80s. The note-taking is something I haven't done ... I'll start doing that. I forget sometimes why I changed an eq setting and later wonder "what was I thinking?".

Regarding #3, is this in reference to the characteristics of an amp/dac relative to those of the headphone, such as warmth, smoothness, etc.?

May 1, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #28 of 34
Great 2¢. I'm a believer in "fewer good things", so I tend to mull over decisions for a long time. I still regularly listen to my 20-year old SR80s. The note-taking is something I haven't done ... I'll start doing that. I forget sometimes why I changed an eq setting and later wonder "what was I thinking?".

Regarding #3, is this in reference to the characteristics of an amp/dac relative to those of the headphone, such as warmth, smoothness, etc.?
Yes. I'm not an overly-technical consumer of sound. That said, there are a couple of things to consider. I'm not adept enough to probably distill it like I should. For starters, though, and you know this, the ohms need to be understood, but not merely from a standpoint of volume control or amount of sound. Generally, the power needed to drive higher impedance headphones needs to more than cover that impedance, because even at lower volumes the increased power then affords more control of what's hitting the drivers. So, basically, ditch volume levels in your thinking and listen carefully from, say, 20-60% volume and try to ascertain ranges and even a hint of distortion, etc. With the DAC I've learned to do a "shallow" dive into the chipset in the amp/dac combo (or stack). Now, even then it can change just a bit, so the amp can be the weak link if not powered enough. No need, really, to do much more than that and I think you'll narrow the field of options for your headphones. I'm not a real fan of EQing all that much. That's why finding headphones that are really, really close to just what you want helps the most and then you can adapt to the amp/dac. Sometimes the amp/dac, like the iFi Nano DSD will have a filter switch that, while never doing all that much, will make just a subtle change that could be just that tiny bit extra that smooths things out. Anyway, I fear I'm coming across trying to sound more of an "expert" than I am. I'm so not! For me, personally, I've given up the search for the "one" and have settled on securing the best over-ear for my context (work from home, but with 5 kids and older parents I care for) as well as a solid set of IEMs for a more intimate listen, and when I hit the coffee shop, and I also perform publicly about once a month and use them for monitoring. For me, the Dunu SA6 were worth the increase over the Blessing2 and I've had Andromeda's twice and find the Dunu's sound a tad fuller, warmer without compromising the clarity, and certainly doesn't scratch the just-barely sibilance that a track can hit here or there on the CA Andromeda's.

May 1, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 34
Yes. I'm not an overly-technical consumer of sound. That said, there are a couple of things to consider. I'm not adept enough to probably distill it like I should. For starters, though, and you know this, the ohms need to be understood, but not merely from a standpoint of volume control or amount of sound. Generally, the power needed to drive higher impedance headphones needs to more than cover that impedance, because even at lower volumes the increased power then affords more control of what's hitting the drivers. So, basically, ditch volume levels in your thinking and listen carefully from, say, 20-60% volume and try to ascertain ranges and even a hint of distortion, etc. With the DAC I've learned to do a "shallow" dive into the chipset in the amp/dac combo (or stack). Now, even then it can change just a bit, so the amp can be the weak link if not powered enough. No need, really, to do much more than that and I think you'll narrow the field of options for your headphones. I'm not a real fan of EQing all that much. That's why finding headphones that are really, really close to just what you want helps the most and then you can adapt to the amp/dac. Sometimes the amp/dac, like the iFi Nano DSD will have a filter switch that, while never doing all that much, will make just a subtle change that could be just that tiny bit extra that smooths things out. Anyway, I fear I'm coming across trying to sound more of an "expert" than I am. I'm so not! For me, personally, I've given up the search for the "one" and have settled on securing the best over-ear for my context (work from home, but with 5 kids and older parents I care for) as well as a solid set of IEMs for a more intimate listen, and when I hit the coffee shop, and I also perform publicly about once a month and use them for monitoring. For me, the Dunu SA6 were worth the increase over the Blessing2 and I've had Andromeda's twice and find the Dunu's sound a tad fuller, warmer without compromising the clarity, and certainly doesn't scratch the just-barely sibilance that a track can hit here or there on the CA Andromeda's.
Again, good information. I believe the amp I have (Jotunheim 2) will handle either of my short-list choices and be a good starting point for deciding if something else needs to be added/changed in my listening chain (different DAC, warmer/cooler amp, tubes, etc.).

May 1, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #30 of 34
Again, good information. I believe the amp I have (Jotunheim 2) will handle either of my short-list choices and be a good starting point for deciding if something else needs to be added/changed in my listening chain (different DAC, warmer/cooler amp, tubes, etc.).
The Jotunheim 2 is pretty flexible for sure. IMO I do think it's the best that Schiit has to offer. I found the stuff "under" that to be too "cold" and "above" the Jotunheim there are just other options in the price range I'd pick. But stick with it while you figure out the next gear. You know it and will help standardize your review of the cans you try next. As you know, you don't have to spend the money for the balanced option unless your just getting close to the peak of what ohms the Jot2 can handle, which is unlikely. If you think about it, let me know what you get and how the experience goes for you. For me, I'm selling my new (but open box) LCD2 Closed (new version) to give a couple of other cans with mids that are more to my liking a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back