What closed back headphones to buy next after Audeze LCD-2?
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Crowbar44

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Just getting into the hobby. I presently have a set of Audeze LCD-2's I've owned for a few months that I've been using with an Asgard 3, and I want to buy a new set to use at work with my Schiit Hel.

I LOVE the LCD-2's but I'd like to try something different, with a different set of strengths and character compared to the LCD-2's.

I'm leaning towards closed backs to round out my collection but would consider open backs. I listen to everything, but favor female vocals, and classical for work, which is where I'll be using these. Price I'm looking is in ~$1,000 range or lower.

Tentative candidates:

Sennheiser HD 800 or 660
Dan Clark Aeon Closed
Fostex TH 610
Meze 99

Really appreciate any additional suggestions

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 34
I'm listening to my Aeon 2 Closed right now and loving them. HIGHLY recommend! Let me now if you have some questions.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 34
I'm listening to my Aeon 2 Closed right now and loving them. HIGHLY recommend! Let me now if you have some questions.
Thanks - how do the Aeon 2's compare sonically to the HD6XX that you own? Leaning toward Sennheiser as they seem to be opposite to the LCD-2's in many ways (more analytical?)

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 34
I going back and forth now with the two. I'm using a hugo 2 as a source. The Aeon digs deeper in the bass and extends higher in the treble. There is slightly more stage with the 6xx (but not much) and the mids have more body and are more forward. The speed of the Aeon is also greater which is to be expected when comparing a planar with a DD headphone. The 6XX is VERY good for the price. I personally prefer the more rumble, speed and treble extension of the Aeon.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 34
I going back and forth now with the two. I'm using a hugo 2 as a source. The Aeon digs deeper in the bass and extends higher in the treble. There is slightly more stage with the 6xx (but not much) and the mids have more body and are more forward. The speed of the Aeon is also greater which is to be expected when comparing a planar with a DD headphone. The 6XX is VERY good for the price. I personally prefer the more rumble, speed and treble extension of the Aeon.
Thanks - really helpful

Any experience with how the Aeon Closed sound compared to Audeze LCD-2's, I'm trying to go in a different direction from the LCD-2

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 34
A friend of mine has my LCD2s right now so I will have to do it from memory. I think the LCD-2 has a little more mid bass and comes across as a warmer overall signature. The Aeon leans a little more towards the sub bass. The treble also extends more on the Aeon. I think the mid range is a little more lush and forward of the LCD-2. I should have them back this weekend and could do a better comparison.

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 34
Hello all,

Just getting into the hobby. I presently have a set of Audeze LCD-2's I've owned for a few months that I've been using with an Asgard 3, and I want to buy a new set to use at work with my Schiit Hel.

I LOVE the LCD-2's but I'd like to try something different, with a different set of strengths and character compared to the LCD-2's.

I'm leaning towards closed backs to round out my collection but would consider open backs. I listen to everything, but favor female vocals, and classical for work, which is where I'll be using these. Price I'm looking is in ~$1,000 range or lower.

Tentative candidates:

Sennheiser HD 800 or 660
Dan Clark Aeon Closed
Fostex TH 610
Meze 99

Really appreciate any additional suggestions
For female vocals and classical I’d probably stay away from the Aeon (unless we’re talking 1. Gen) as it’s mids is about as scooped as the LCD-2s. For something completely different and more natural sounding I’d go for an HD600. Never heard classical or female vocals sound as good as over the old Sennheiser. Also a great complimentary can to the Audeze imo👍

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 34
For female vocals and classical I’d probably stay away from the Aeon (unless we’re talking 1. Gen) as it’s mids is about as scooped as the LCD-2s. For something completely different and more natural sounding I’d go for an HD600. Never heard classical or female vocals sound as good as over the old Sennheiser. Also a great complimentary can to the Audeze imo👍
Senns are definitely on the short list...I'm assuming you mean the 660's (600's discontinued...)

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 34
Nope the HD600. It wasn’t discontinued but merely given a smartish new look because Sennheiser has made some new molds. The sound quality though is exactly the same as the old HD600:)
For classical and female vocals I’ve never heard anything come close to the old classic..certainly not the new 660.
If you’re dead set on a closedback I’d probably swing for a K371 or perhaps the new Celestee. Haven’t heard the latter but the frequency response looks great. I actually sold off my Aeon in favour of my K371. I much prefer the sound of the little AKG.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 34
I have a pair of LCD-2 Classics and first gen Aeon Closed with Aeon 2 pads (a must have just for a better quality pad) and both are very different though both are planar. To my ears they each do things great but not in competition, for example, the LCD-2 Classics have Audeze‘s big bass sound and Aeons are more linear. Far as soundstage, I have no idea how @mrspeakers managed to make the Aeon closed have a wider soundstage with better instrument layering than the LCD-2 Classic which is open. I personally find the Aeons can span more genre’s and still sound great where I find the LCD-2 Classics great at EDM, hip hop, some metal, or genres where bass is a must. I’d take a look at the new Aeon Noir as well.

Subjectively, IMPO, the Aeons Closed are a different planar sound, myself favoring the OG Aeon Closed with V2 pads. Far as the HD600, I have a pair I bought about 20 years ago and it still makes magic for a headphone that retails for 399 new. The best part of the HD600 is how well it scales with gear, however, never heard the 6XX or newer versions of the HD600.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 34
I have a pair of LCD-2 Classics and first gen Aeon Closed with Aeon 2 pads (a must have just for a better quality pad) and both are very different though both are planar. To my ears they each do things great but not in competition, for example, the LCD-2 Classics have Audeze‘s big bass sound and Aeons are more linear. Far as soundstage, I have no idea how @mrspeakers managed to make the Aeon closed have a wider soundstage with better instrument layering than the LCD-2 Classic which is open. I personally find the Aeons can span more genre’s and still sound great where I find the LCD-2 Classics great at EDM, hip hop, some metal, or genres where bass is a must. I’d take a look at the new Aeon Noir as well.

Subjectively, IMPO, the Aeons Closed are a different planar sound, myself favoring the OG Aeon Closed with V2 pads. Far as the HD600, I have a pair I bought about 20 years ago and it still makes magic for a headphone that retails for 399 new. The best part of the HD600 is how well it scales with gear, however, never heard the 6XX or newer versions of the HD600.
Thanks iPaint...I think the list is narrowing to the Sennheiser HD660S and the DCA Aeon Closed....seems like the Schiit Hel should drive either pretty well - no?

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 34
Sorry, @Crowbar44, I have no experience with the Schiit Hel, maybe check for reviews and see what headphones people have paired with the Schiit Hel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back