What cheap Amp is googd enough for HiFiMan HE-5 LE?
Jan 25, 2011 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dodap

100+ Head-Fier
The magnostatic HiFiMan HE-5 LE seem to demand more from the headphon amp than "normal" dynamic phones. Which is the cheapest amp that can drive the HE-5? Cheaper means less than the amp HiFiMan sell themselves, the EF5, which cost some 500 € here. And for reasons of space and placement I am looking for are solid state amp and no tube or hybrid amp.

I have a Meier HeadFive, would it be a candidate for this headphone?

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 9
Try a Matrix M-Stage.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 9
So far I have found only one other amp: The Schiit Asgard Class A amp for $ 250, probably getting as warm as a tube amp (literally) and more or less as cheap as the Matrix M-Stage for € 200.

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Basically any high power hybrid or solid state amplifier will do the trick with the HE-5LEs.

Yes, indeed. But the range gets smaller a lot with my condition of a "cheap" amp.

So far I additionally found the Lake People G93 (with blanced option!), perhaps the FiiO E9, and not cheap anymore (at least for me) the Little Dot MK VII+ (which is a tube amp, which I dislike)

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 9
Nothing better out there than a speaker amp to drive my HE 5 LE.
I use an inexpensive virtue 1 amp that sounds less like solid state than any other SS amp out there. It puts out 83 watts RMS and it makes my 5 LE sound just amazing.

You would need a pig tail adapter, which you can get a cheaper one from highflight headfier or a can tell u where to get a state of the art one. I have both and they r both good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back