what cd-player are you using?
Dec 29, 2005 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

NilsTentacles

100+ Head-Fier
what cd-player are you using? do you have different for headphones and speakers?

I have a Yamaha CDX-396. I'll be gettin a Rega Planet 2000 soon though, I think the upgrade will be big. if it's anything like my turntable, Rega P2.

yamaha_ax396+yamaha_cdx396.jpg

I had that amp on the pic, but not using it anymore.

cheers!

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 62
I am a big fan of Rega, and I have great respect for the Planet 2000, but when I compared it with my older Yamaha CDP, I did not find the difference to be as dramatic as I would have hoped. I am curious to hear about your impressions when you get the Planet, or possibly the new Apollo. Good luck.

Dec 29, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 62
Currently using an Ayre CX-7 Evolution.

Simon

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 62
Right now I am using a heavily tweaked Eastsound CD-E5, Heavily tweaked Pioneer DV-563A and a new heavily tweaked Sony DVP-NS9100ES for all my systems.

Dec 29, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 62
I'm using a Marantz SA-15S1 atm, not bad so far, tempted to get an Eastsound E-5 as well, but i don't need two sources!

e_sa15s1_med.gif

Quite a chunky machine, this was a huge upgrade over my old Pioneer CD player (for me anyway), so I haven't had a chance to compare it with the value for money players like the NAD or Cambridge Audio players. (can't get Onix in Australia). My mate has a Xindak SCD2 with its valved output stage, reckons it will smoke my Marantz. I can't wait to compare it.

From the specs and photos I've seen, Marantz specify there's a headphone amplifier in it as well, that's what attracted me. I haven't got a headphone amp yet, but i hope to get one soon and write some impressions to compare.

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 62
See my signature below:

dvpns999es.jpg
(stock photo)

Mine is quite heavily modified by Dan Wright of Modwright. It uses two power cords - one for the main unit, another going to the separate power supply for the new tubed analog output section (not shown in the stock photo). I absolutely love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back