What cans would you like to see in stores?
Nov 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

PhaedraCorruption

100+ Head-Fier
I posted a thread in the member's lounge about stocking headphones here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580044/what-would-you-like-to-see-in-a-headphone-store

I
'm just wondering specifically what headphones (brands and models) would you like to see us carry? We are in hopes of trying to find ways to differentiate ourselves from other stores. 

Or if you have any other opinions and suggestions, I would love to hear them. 

Thanks

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 22
LCD-2
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 22
The Sony MDR-V6 and Grado SR-60i.

They're wonderful entry points, classics, and they don't have sticker shock.

The uninitiated will appreciate their good sound and they'd sell themselves.

Sure, the high-end stuff is better, but convincing someone to part with $300+ isn't easy. An excellent sub-$100 headphone will be an easier sale and you'll have a happy customer.

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 22
Low end Grados, and some high end stuff, not your typical everyday stuff.

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 22
Having the "rare stuff" available for demo would be good - that's usually the hang-up when deciding on some very expensive product (especially the Japanese exotics from STAX, Audio-Technica, and Sony; you could also include the Koss ESP in the "rare stuff" category). This in addition to the more common "entry-point" headphones.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 22
KSC75, Grado SR-80, Porta Pro and W1000X in every Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, KFC, K-Mart and Sears. At checkout.

Seriously, why on earth do all these big box stores not carry more american made products? Even my local Wal-Mart carries very few Koss products. Yet they carry a whole shelf of iFrogz and Billionaire gold plastic headphones.

I bet Grado would never allow Wal-Mart to carry their headphones anyway. The weirdos on here would call them sell-outs or something.

Actually I don't think an SR-80 at a Wal-Mart would work. Can you imagine all the returns from people who say they leak sound? Maybe an iGrado would work.
I hate how Wal-Mart doesn't sell enough USA made stuff. They're getting better though.

BTW I remember the days when Radio Shack actually sold GOOD headphones.

(just kidding, you're not weird).

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
The Sony MDR-V6 and Grado SR-60i.
They're wonderful entry points, classics, and they don't have sticker shock.
The uninitiated will appreciate their good sound and they'd sell themselves.
Sure, the high-end stuff is better, but convincing someone to part with $300+ isn't easy. An excellent sub-$100 headphone will be an easier sale and you'll have a happy customer.

I agree, some good solid/proven entry phones that won't scare people away by the price.  I wish every store sold KSC75's.  If I saw a pair of HD598s hanging on display, I would be compelled to inspect them up close.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
KSC75, Grado SR-80, Porta Pro and W1000X in every Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, KFC, K-Mart and Sears. At checkout.

Hahaha.  KFC.  I completely agree though ^ ......and I do remember when radioshack didn't sell crap

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 22
Grado's

Especially the sub $150 ones.

My local futureshop sells sennheiser, shure, akg, sony, monster, audio technica, ultimate ears, bowers and wilkins, and yamaha rebranded ultrasones.

I got my shure srh840 there for $130
My Sennheiser hd 25 1 II adidas there for $200
and my pioneer se m390 there for $70

They have decent selection and if you wait for deals you can get some pretty sweet deals. All 3 were on sale when i bought them.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 22
Well, you should have a wide range of headphones/earphones available. More low/mid-ends, if you want the cash flow to be constant.
I think Grado SR60/80, low-end Sennheisers, Sony (iems and headphones) would sell well but I'd love to see more Ultrasones. 

offtopic:

More importantly, you need staff that are knowledgeable about audio gear, a good corner to try the headphones, or a small booth for higher end headphones.
Staff that follow potential customers around while they're browsing are annoying. It's all about the service. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 22
Anything that isn't in most stores (beats, skullcandy, etc.)

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 22

Somewhat ironically I guess, Wal-Mart actually does sell the W1000X through their online storefront (apparently you can have it shipped to a retail store of your choice for pick-up too). With the AT comment, I was thinking more along the lines of AD700 and A900 - not ATH-W - but I guess that could work as well. 
Quote:

Seriously, why on earth do all these big box stores not carry more american made products? Even my local Wal-Mart carries very few Koss products. Yet they carry a whole shelf of iFrogz and Billionaire gold plastic headphones.

I bet Grado would never allow Wal-Mart to carry their headphones anyway. The weirdos on here would call them sell-outs or something.

Actually I don't think an SR-80 at a Wal-Mart would work. Can you imagine all the returns from people who say they leak sound? Maybe an iGrado would work.
I hate how Wal-Mart doesn't sell enough USA made stuff. They're getting better though.

(just kidding, you're not weird).

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 22
More AKGs and Audio Technicas
cool.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
Well, you should have a wide range of headphones/earphones available. More low/mid-ends, if you want the cash flow to be constant.
I think Grado SR60/80, low-end Sennheisers, Sony (iems and headphones) would sell well but I'd love to see more Ultrasones. 

offtopic:

More importantly, you need staff that are knowledgeable about audio gear, a good corner to try the headphones, or a small booth for higher end headphones.
Staff that follow potential customers around while they're browsing are annoying. It's all about the service. 

All the good headphones at my local best buy are in the studio/dj headphones department right beside the huge display with monster beats. I asked the guys there what they thought their best $300 headphones were and they said sennheiser or akg. So they must be more knowledgeable then i or we give them credit to be. I asked them about bose and beats and they told me they weren't as good as everyone thought. But they said they sell them because of high markup.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 22
Stax SR-009 at walmart please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back