What Can I Get With My $350? (Considering Q701 and HD 650)
Jan 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #16 of 51
Perhaps it doesnt have more open sound music alchemist. You know more than I do haha. I just read it has great open sound that is the closest thing one user (IIRC it was innerfidelity) has ever heard to an open headphone. 

So I would just plug something like the FiiO E10K into my usb port, play music from my pc (spotify)  and not need a soundcard?

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #17 of 51
  Perhaps it doesnt have more open sound music alchemist. You know more than I do haha. I just read it has great open sound that is the closest thing one user (IIRC it was innerfidelity) has ever heard to an open headphone. 

So I would just plug something like the FiiO E10K into my usb port, play music from my pc (spotify)  and not need a soundcard?

Hmm, Tyll did say the HP50 sounds slightly more open. I've read those reviews, so I must have forgotten.

Both of them have similar measurements, though the FSP is more neutral.

Yup! However, there's no guarantee that it will sound better to you.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 51
HP50 stands really strong against the competition, I keep getting back to that phone when auditioning in my local hifi store.

Don't bother too much about amps and DACs, it'll probably come around eventually.. Anyway

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #19 of 51
So you think I should just not worry about an amp right now?
Part of me kind of wants to get all of the right stuff and not worry about "upgrading" later. 

I'm also still torn between the X2 and the HP50s. The X2s look way more comfortable for me, and I think I actually have more of a medium sized head so perhaps they will fit nicely. I've looked around a bit and there is no headphone place near me. All big name stores that don't even have the cans. 

#1 priority for me is sound quality
#2 is comfort 
#3 is how loud they can get (I don't need anything ridiculous, but I definitely want over 90db)

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #20 of 51
  So you think I should just not worry about an amp right now?
Part of me kind of wants to get all of the right stuff and not worry about "upgrading" later. 

I'm also still torn between the X2 and the HP50s. The X2s look way more comfortable for me, and I think I actually have more of a medium sized head so perhaps they will fit nicely. I've looked around a bit and there is no headphone place near me. All big name stores that don't even have the cans. 

#1 priority for me is sound quality
#2 is comfort 
#3 is how loud they can get (I don't need anything ridiculous, but I definitely want over 90db)

There are so few retail options for good headphones. 

I'd say order your top pick from an outlet with a return policy -- and if you don't love them in the first week
then return them.  I don't know any other way to do it. That typically works with Amazon.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #21 of 51
flatmap - A little off topic, but how does that Bottlehead Crack drive the AKGs? I'm finding that both my Q701s and K7xx are very power hungry, the Vali even struggles for some music, in my opinion.

OP - see if the X2s fit you. They sound like a great pairing for your needs and past experience. The Image S4 is so bassy...so you would be most happy with the X2, as they are a massive upgrade. And I'll chime in about that EXTERNAL dac/amp combo as well. Look into the Schiit Fulla or a Dragonfly v1.Either will only set you back 80 bucks or so. I love my Dragonfly and momentums. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #22 of 51
So I think I'm gonna snag the X2s with the DragonFly 1. My worries are that the X2s will let in too much of the noise from my room thought (from my air filter) and that they may be too warm, but I guess I'll just have to see, because I have no place to try them out :frowning2: 

At lower volumes, do you think I could listen to these on the bus or in a library without making people angry?

The big sellers for me on the X2s are comfort (they look soooo comfortable), looks (the hp50s look like they have 45 degree angles when you wear them), and the open headphone (but thats also a downside for the reasons above)

The thing that really interests me about the HP50s is the way they were designed with the "room" feel and sound. 

Hmmm. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #23 of 51
The X2's are massive, and you probably wouldn't use them out and about, though I've seen people use open cans in public before. For general use, plus amping, the HP50 would do the trick just fine, and would work indoors, outdoors, and with no need for an amp, they get plenty loud straight out of a phone. If you do need and amp, something simple like the Schiit Magni 2, or the Fiio E17K would work great for a desktop setup, and the Fiio has the added bonus of portable use.

In the end it comes down to how you want to use your stuff, but for the X2 you'd probably need an amp to get them to sound it's best, plus they're open cans which limits their use.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #24 of 51
  So I think I'm gonna snag the X2s with the DragonFly 1. My worries are that the X2s will let in too much of the noise from my room thought (from my air filter) and that they may be too warm, but I guess I'll just have to see, because I have no place to try them out :frowning2: 

At lower volumes, do you think I could listen to these on the bus or in a library without making people angry?

The big sellers for me on the X2s are comfort (they look soooo comfortable), looks (the hp50s look like they have 45 degree angles when you wear them), and the open headphone (but thats also a downside for the reasons above)

The thing that really interests me about the HP50s is the way they were designed with the "room" feel and sound. 

Hmmm. 

Ok they ARE open cans...but your original post was about the Q701 and HD650 which are also VERY open headphones. You could do a LOT worse than the HP50s. Also, don't discount the Sennheiser momentums...they look GREAT in public, are easy to drive, and sound *very* good. They also will isolate your 'air filter' noise and you won't disturb anyone. Just a thought. The Momentums are under $190 right now...leaving you money for both a desktop amp and Dragonfly. But the HP50s are also quality gear for about $250

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #25 of 51
I'd like to be able to walk around with the things, but if I'm going to be honest with myself, I don't think I'll ever move them from my desk, so the more I think about it, the more I don't care about the look. You said the X2s may sound better with an amp. Isn't the dragonfly sufficient? And, will my air filter in my room be loud enough for me to hear it through phone?

I super appreciate all of this help guys.

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #26 of 51
I think constant noise degrades the experience quite significantly with open headphones.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #27 of 51
  flatmap - A little off topic, but how does that Bottlehead Crack drive the AKGs? I'm finding that both my Q701s and K7xx are very power hungry, the Vali even struggles for some music, in my opinion.

I tried the K-702 with the Crack and as I recall it does work and the sound is good.
I'm not sure the result is as dynamic as I'd want.  So probably another case of not
as much power as you'd want.

I've  mostly used the Crack with my Sennheisers,  

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #28 of 51
I think constant noise degrades the experience quite significantly with open headphones.

+1

I much prefer open headphones overall.  But constant noise in the room makes my brain
think the headphone has some tizz or buzz --and it gets in the way of the music.

So if part of your task is to block out that air filter noise, then closed headphones are
what you want. Of course another option is to switch off the air filter while listening.

But if you ever do want to take your headphones on the bus during the morning commute
or listen to your music at a coffee shop, then you'll prefer closed headphones for that as well.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #29 of 51
Hmmm. Ok. Taking all of this in. 

Last 3 questions I swear... I think.

I want to make sure I can really relax while listening, so I don't want something thats too punchy or too crisp. Are the HP50s that something or are they comfortable for long sessions and warm enough for relaxation?

Is there a specific audio program people generally recommend for listening?

2nd question. Are those momentums normally that cheap (185)?

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #30 of 51
  Hmmm. Ok. Taking all of this in. 

Last 3 questions I swear... I think.

I want to make sure I can really relax while listening, so I don't want something thats too punchy or too crisp. Are the HP50s that something or are they comfortable for long sessions and warm enough for relaxation?

Is there a specific audio program people generally recommend for listening?

2nd question. Are those momentums normally that cheap (185)?

Momentum MSRP is $350.
Normally $270.

HP50 is neutral and easy to listen to, but it definitely has a punch, though not crispy or graininess.

jriver and foobar2000 are commonly recommended Windows programs for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back