what Camera to get?
Oct 2, 2011 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Gravediggaz

New Head-Fier
hey guys....I'm going overseas soon and need a new digital camera....don't know much about cameras so need some recommendations on what to get?....my budget is $500 was thinking about getting the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 but not sure

thanks guys

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 22
What's your budget?

I'm a big fan of DSLRs. Bigger, better sensor and a lot of flexibility. Personally, I'd look into a good, used DSLR instead of buying new. Older Nikons and Canons are reasonable today. Go for great photo quality over convenience. Photos will be your link back to memories; use a good camera. Think about showing your photos to your grandkids down the line.

I'm sticking with my old Nikon D70s until I can afford full-frame. It has features beyond my skills and takes excellent photos. One of those or a D50 would be good. I don't know much about Canon, bu think they make good cameras and you should be able to find a used one at a decent price.

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 22
sorry forgot to add that my budget is $500

so you think go the dslr....I think you might be right....I do want great pics and its gonna be special time...there so much to chose from

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 22
I'm a fan of DSLR cameras. They are popular with tourists and travelers and I see them all the time. Recently, I got an Olympus Pen E- P1 which is a smaller micro four thirds camera and the picture quality is great. It was around $300 refurbished and included the detachable lens. It does not have the speed of a DSLR for quick shots and I wish it was faster. But it is smaller and easier to carry around. 

I think the disadvantage with DSLR cameras is that they tend to be bulky for traveling. Also I like to be adventurous and take pictures of crowds of people and individuals in a street shooting style and sometimes a DSLR camera makes you look too noticeable. The advantage of a micro four thirds camera is that it does look like a point and shoot camera and it is smaller than a DSLR but not small enough to put in your pocket. DSLR cameras are more refined but if you look at sample shots of these micro four thirds cameras, you may be surprised how really good they are.

Either way, for $500, you can get a great camera with a lens included. DSLR cameras are now affordable for the average working man. You can get the Nikon D40 or Nikon D3000 for around $400 I think and they are great cameras. I think for most people, going crazy and buying extra lenses is unnecessary since the stock lens is really good already and pretty much you need.

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 22
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a decent DSLR in your price range. I'd suggest a Canon Powershot, I owned one before replacing it with a Canon T3i DSLR. With the exception of being able to change lenses This should do everything you want.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_286234_-1

sx40_3_l.jpg

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 22
sorry forgot to add that my budget is $500
so you think go the dslr....I think you might be right....I do want great pics and its gonna be special time...there so much to chose from

You can get a new d3100 for about $550ish delivered. Okay entry dslr.

For travelling I'd personally get something smaller. A compact (e.g. Olympus XZ1, Panasonic LX5, Canon S95), or m43 like the emp1, epl1, etc should be fine.

Oct 2, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 22
You can get a new d3100 for about $550ish delivered. Okay entry dslr.
For travelling I'd personally get something smaller. A compact (e.g. Olympus XZ1, Panasonic LX5, Canon S95), or m43 like the emp1, epl1, etc should be fine.

I've got the D3000 which is pretty much the same thing as the D3100 and its definitely great for the price. Not sure how ideal a SLR is for travel though as you do need to carry it in its own bag especially if you carry around a couple lenses + other accessories.

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 22
I wouldn't buy a DSLR unless you plan to learn how to use one. I would recommend the Canon S95. Great IQ, and portable.

But if you want to get a DSLR, I would recommend buying all used:

Canon 20D ~250ish
18-55IS ~90
50mm 1.8 ~90

This is all in USD, I'm not sure how much it would cost in Australia though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back