What brand of CPU do you like?
Dec 23, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
its because the vast majority of the population don't know AMD is, whereas intel is a household name. AMD has never been "dodgy". the CPUs were always good (except for the low yield problems in the mid 90s), but "dodgyness" comes from motherboard manufacturers. they've never produced their own motherboard like intel always has and their chipset division is quite lacking. mobos for AMDs would (not saying they are) be bad only because they're built targeted to low end systems (mind you i'm ignoring the overclocking highend boards, just talking about budget boxes here). intel boards are on average much more expensive and the people who can afford (and ignorantly so) to go intel have enough cash to pay for an expensive, no holding back mobo.

In the early days, AMD really was an imitator, making knockoff x86 chips. Then they moved into the K6 line which was sort of a budget chip but never a true competitor to Intel. Once the Athlon chips came out, I think AMD sort of realized their underdog status allowed them to take some more risks and a lot of the Athlon days had AMD neck and neck with Intel for the performance crown, with AMD often offering some better bang for the buck chips. In the last couple years, AMD has (IMHO) been the clear winner, pushing us into both the 64 bit and dual core eras. Intel's plan was same old, same old - ramp up clock speed. P4 chips were supposed to be at 10GHz by now, but they had some serious power and heat issues that prevented that particular goal. I don't think Intel will fail or go away or anything, but they've been chasing AMD to some extent where it's pretty clear who made the correct design choices.

You're 100% right about the chipset quality. It seems that the AMD chipsets have had a significant rise in quality in the last 3-4 years, though it's never been an issue for Intel boards with Intel providing their own chipsets to boardmakers. I was glad to see nVidia get into the business. It's a weird step for what has been a "video card company" but they've put out some good chipsets and done a lot for the AMD enthusiast board market.

Dec 23, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #32 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
at the moment, AMD for desktop procs, but i'm not a fanboy either way, so that could change.

I agree, I own both but prefer AMD right now but I will buy what is the best at the time for price/performance benifits. I have a 4400 x2 right now and am excited that the M2 socket is coming on in quarter 2 I believe.

Dec 23, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
AMD X2... Better than sex.
tongue.gif

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two cores at the same time, man.
Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd use two cores at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause CPUs dig a dude with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all CPUs.
Lawrence: Well the kind of CPUs that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #36 of 74
Well if you play games and don't prefer AMD, you're ignorant/dumb/crazy/combination. They clearly come out ahead in all recent benchmarks I've seen. For pure applications processing, though, I believe intel is quicker. I don't care too much about computing long processes, though, and I play games, so I choose AMD. Oh, and of course Intel is a lieing, cheating, devil machine who overstates their clock speeds, mugs the elderly, and steals candy from children.

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #38 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meifa
Intel. Sue me. The one AMD-based system I had was too prone to overheating. Plus, the motherboard (Soyo) had some issues with the vid card (ATI All-in-Wonder. I really liked that thing.) I had at the time.

I've been using this P4, 2ghz system for a long while now (2+ years?). I like it.

With the Athlon XP I'd totally agree with you but not when it comes to the Athlon 64. Mine runs at under 30C idle and under 40C right after I quit a game.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #39 of 74
Right now AMD, but I wouldn't call myself a fanboy since I don't really think much of either company. I'll buy whatever has the best price/performance ratio at the time I'm buying.

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #41 of 74
Definitely in the AMD camp...

My CPU history...

The Intel Era:
486SX 25
P75
P120
P200
P233

The AMD Era:
K6III 450
Duron?? 900
Athlon 2000+
Athlon 2600+
Althon 3700+

biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #42 of 74
I own/have owned both Intel and AMD. For the past few years, AMD processors have held the lead in both performance and stability. I wouldn't put anything but an AMD Opteron in a new server. The Intel thermal requirements have made their processors less reliable.

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #43 of 74
I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ at 2.16Ghz right now, on my first comp build. It's given me absolutely no problems, which I can't say the same for concerning my old Pentium III (though that thing was OLD...).

Does anybody know of a site (or know about it themselves) where I can go to learn about how to overclock this a bit?

Quote:

For almost the past year ive been running a dual core 3ghz p4 @ 4ghz watercooled. Im plenty happy with it :p

HIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #44 of 74
I'm using an Intel P4 2.0 ghz. (not anywhere near HT), and I like it, it came with my Dell 4550. The great thing is that I can really turn down the fan speed and keep my comp quiet since it barely produces any heat compared to my ti4200! It's 29.5°C right now with my Panaflo H1A set at 2000 rpm.

Dec 24, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #45 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ at 2.16Ghz right now, on my first comp build. It's given me absolutely no problems, which I can't say the same for concerning my old Pentium III (though that thing was OLD...).

Does anybody know of a site (or know about it themselves) where I can go to learn about how to overclock this a bit?

HIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://ocforums.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back