What brand of CPU do you like?
Dec 25, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #61 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid
Keep in mind the true clock speed of the dual-core Opteron 280 is 2.4GHz, that of the single-core 254 is 2.8GHz, 30% less than Intel. The AMD64 architecture simply gets twice as much work done per cycle and per watt. And the the integrated memory controller and switched Hypertransport interconnect are way ahead of Intel's tired bus. The Indian-designed CSI bus, touted as a replacement, seems to have been canned along with the entire line of Bangalore-designed server chips. Sure, you can push the existing FSB to 1GHz, but like brute-force Detroit "muscle cars" with inefficient pushrod or hemi technology compared to the more sophisticated Japanese or European timed multi-valve designs, this comes at the cost of even worse energy efficiency.

Yes, but AMD has done better per cycle as far back as the first K6. There were many reasons not to use them (power use was certainly one back then!), such as generally being late to market, but clock efficiency was not one of them. The Pentium-M once again shows that raw speed just isn't important when comapring different sets of chips.

Intel lost it with raising speeds because they wanted to break 5GHz with the revisions following the Prescott (if they could have done it, they would have at least remained performance-competitive, if not performance-per-watt competitive), and figured the 90nm drop would do it...even now, it takes extreme overlcockers to even think about that territory. For bandwidth-centric workloads, the new Xeons won't be bad, but they would still be hard to justify over the course of a year's use.
Quote:

Energy efficiency is not just a buzzword. Intel has been making much noise about it, but the reality is, their current lineup needs twice as many watts than equivalent Opterons. I pay $4000/month on power in my data center, significantly more in a year than the cost of all my servers put together. While power-hungry hard drives make up a big proportion of my power budget, I would be prepared to pay a significant premium for more power-efficient servers as they allow me to ramp up without having power costs explode. That is also why I am retiring servers that are fully functional, simply because the savings from more modern and power-efficient systems outweigh the cost of the new machines.

The current Intel designs are stop-gap measures to staunch the bleeding for the time it takes them to design a competitive cpu and memory interconnect. It will take another year or two for Intel to catch up with the lost time caused by Itanium distraction.

Lost time? They are going to have a new Itanium out in a year or so, and it will be successful (this time, yeah, it'll work...)!
wink.gif

Quote:

This is not a new story - read Tracy Kidder's "Soul of a new machine" for another good example of a company that almost died on an overly ambitious green-field processor design instead of a more pragmatic one designed for maximal compatibility. What is more surprising is that Intel got caught in that same trap, as the reason they are number 1 today is precisely because they always emphasized compatibility in the past. The only explanation is complacency and arrogance - at some point they assumed their success was due to their superiority rather than the strategy of maximising compatibility, and thus they believed the lessons of others' failures did not apply to them.

Also, it is becoming more and more about vendors, and Intel is still working with the "we say how it will be" paradigm. IBM v. Sun v. HP v. Dell is more important, usually, than Opteron v. Xeon. This puts any potential compatibility issues to rest, and gives the vendors freedoms to do some good things that customers will start to appreciate, and be able to sell based on what it does, and how well it does it. If everyone was as worried about Intel Inside as they were when the Athlon hit the streets, it could be 10w v. 100w, and no one would touch the AMD (VIA shares 90% of the blame for that, as I've had pretty much no trouble with real AMD chipsets, but always something with VIA).

Part of this is simply due to cheaper parts being fairly good. You can throw anything together, and expect good performance and good uptime on the cheap. Excepting the bad capacitor mess, most parts have become very compatible and reliable, such that having the 'right' ones is not very important, and is not a cause of worry.

Intel still has the average joe by the balls (eMachines is helping, though
wink.gif
), but more and more businesses are caring more about what it can do than what makes it do it. Intel really was short-sighted not to deal with SMP for the Pentium Ms. If they'd had multi-CPU blades out around the Dothan release, they could have adapted them to standard Xeons, eaten some minor profit margins, and been very competitive, totally stalling AMD's serious gaining of credibility. Oh well.

Dec 25, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #62 of 74
PPC G4, and I'm planning to move up to a PPC G5. Yay IBM!

For PC's I'm a big AMD fan, because of their price/performance ratio. And VIA Chipsets are hit-n-miss.... depends on which one and whether you're lucky.

Dec 25, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #63 of 74
cerbie: Good observations.

Just btw, one point for Intel one shouldn't forget about are contributions to the x86 platform such as PCI, USB, PCIe, ATX/BTX formfactor & power supply standards, just to name a few. AMD's general contributions to the platform seem a lot smaller - understable with it being the smaller company, but one shouldn't forget about that, when one compares prices...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #64 of 74
currently using a AMD64 3200+ slightly overclocked. CPU temp does not rise over 35C. pretty happy about that.

but still, I sometimes go back to my P4 2.8 @ 3.2. for some reason I find Intel processors to be a bit snappier in response compared to AMD, no matter what speed I set it to. heck, I find my old P4 1.6 to have faster initial startup than my AMD64 3200.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #65 of 74
Own both, and i was a huge AMD fan, but lately I ahd some problems with overheating and some MoBo related issues and now I preffer Intel for reliability, i ahve a P4 that works like a charm, well indeed i ahve also an Athlon that works like a charm too, well, not sure now
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
but my next will be Intel....

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #66 of 74
Currently own a 3000+ Venice chip @ 2.75GHz, and I am very happy with it. Never personally owned an Intel rig, but I have built several for friends and am considering basing my next system off of the Intel platform.

Dec 27, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #68 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Own both, and i was a huge AMD fan, but lately I ahd some problems with overheating and some MoBo related issues and now I preffer Intel for reliability, i ahve a P4 that works like a charm, well indeed i ahve also an Athlon that works like a charm too, well, not sure now
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
but my next will be Intel....

Intel's latest desktop CPU's also have problems with overheating. In fact, these days Intel's current desktop CPU's run much hotter than AMD's current CPU's, and thus the current Intel CPU's require extremely loud and noisy cooling just to even get the temps down to barely tolerable levels.

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #69 of 74
Well, I don't care really that much. AMD seems more innovative and powerbill-friendly though and scores higher on my goodwill-o-meter.

But for the time being I'm really satisfied with my dual Xeon. Next one will very probably be a dual-core Athlon though (these Xeon's slurp power as if it were nothing).

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #70 of 74
In a big nebulous philosphical and spiritual way I'm angry as hell and not gonna take it any more! We in the West (and in the East, I'd assume) argue that we honour the goals of an empirical meritocracy. Plainly, since the maturation of the Opteron and its children, AMD has outpaced Intel consistently: the architecuture of cpus is manifestly better. I wish that sales figures would indicate this so that both Intel and (consequently) AMD would produce another quantum-leap in processor technology. I think that AMD is skating right now, and it shouldn't be so. Intel's predominance is primarily a product of marketing. It's successful Centrino chipset for laptops might be the exception (though I believe, if I had the funds, I'd get an Turion cpu).

Just bought an Opteron 165 with gear -- am so excited.

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #72 of 74
My last Intel was a P3 500 Mhz.

Then I got Athlon XP's for me and my brother. Now me and my brother both have Athlon 64's. Price-wise, it's a no-brainer. Plus AMD's run cooler these days so it makes quiet to silent PC's more easily attainable.

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #73 of 74
I've an AMD Athlon64 3500+ and I'm very happy with it. Nowadays, most people prefer AMD-processors because the heat and performance is better.

Foolproof-Jean
580smile.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #74 of 74
The interesting thing is that a few days ago Intel told the world that they were going to spend 2.5 billion on a new corporate branding/identity. Say goodbye to Pentium, Intel Inside and the more mhz the better theory. BusinessWeek's Jan 9th issue featured an interview with Intel's CEO about this huge corporate rebranding that was pretty interesting. An extremely ambitious move for a company that is still raking in the dough (as well as AMD has done recently, looking purely at numbers Intel is still doing very well and a change of this magnitude wouldn't really be warranted).

And I agree completely with the point that lini brought up about Intel's contributions like atx/btx, PCIe, etc. Intel is even now working more specifically toward those types of things, along with building platforms rather than processors, targeting specific uses and industries. For instance, you might find the recent trend of putting Pentium M chips into desktops and media center pc's interesting (something that is fully supported as shown by Intel's new Viiv campaign)

Final note... in my mind Intel has always ruled the laptop market and it's hard to say Intel or AMD without breaking it down between desktops/laptops. And I can't wait to get my hands on one of the new Core Duo laptops (new dual core Pentium M)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back