What book are you reading right now?
Oct 31, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #3,271 of 5,348
  Read before, several of his I have yet to read including "The Road," which is sitting on my shelf, and about ready to read now.

My god, you are a lucky man. I have read all of his novels. My Favorites are "All the pretty horses" "child of god" and "the road". I will say that all of his books after "Blood Meridian" and "Suttree" are very different. They are less like Melville in their description and prose. They seem to be a lot more direct with almost no punctuation. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #3,272 of 5,348
Right now I'm reading this:
callcthulhu.jpg

I love his thick narrative (he was paid based on word count for most of his work), it's wonderfully dense and dark.

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3,274 of 5,348

Dan Simmons is the author of the excellent Hyperion series, and I think this book is better than any of his Hyperion books. At the beginning of this book, I was really, really confused. There seemed to be three completely separate stories being told simultaneously - and I couldn't see how the heck they were ever going to come together. I'm now at the point that I can start to see the threads slowly beginning to intertwine. A fascinating display of story craftsmanship. Highly recommended.

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #3,275 of 5,348

Dan Simmons is the author of the excellent Hyperion series, and I think this book is better than any of his Hyperion books. At the beginning of this book, I was really, really confused. There seemed to be three completely separate stories being told simultaneously - and I couldn't see how the heck they were ever going to come together. I'm now at the point that I can start to see the threads slowly beginning to intertwine. A fascinating display of story craftsmanship. Highly recommended.

Along the lines of John Meaney's Ragnarok series?

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #3,276 of 5,348

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3,277 of 5,348

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #3,282 of 5,348
Along the lines of John Meaney's Ragnarok series?

I haven't read Ragnorak, so I'm afraid I can't give you a good answer. From the description of Ragnorak that I just read, I don't think so. I think saying more would be a spoiler for Ilium. I think all I can say is that Ilium reminds me of a cross between HG Wells, Larry Niven & Homer... :p

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #3,283 of 5,348
I haven't read Ragnorak, so I'm afraid I can't give you a good answer. From the description of Ragnorak that I just read, I don't think so. I think saying more would be a spoiler for Ilium. I think all I can say is that Ilium reminds me of a cross between HG Wells, Larry Niven & Homer...
tongue.gif

Ok. If you've not got into any of them then comparison is difficult. I was more referring to the style of 3 seemingly disjointed story threads carrying through the series.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #3,284 of 5,348

Damn that was good, 740pgs in ~7 hours. Could not put it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back