Jun 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2,986 of 5,346
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=1.7em] The Unwinding:[/size]

[size=1.7em] An Inner History of the New America [/size]

[size=14.545454025268555px](May 21, 2013)[/size]

[size=11.428571701049805px]George Packer[/size]

Just bought this...it's next on my list...

+2
Whatever happens in the US, you can be sure the UK isn't far behind.

I haven't begun the book as yet, but I saw the author interviewed on television. He indicated in the interview that the the UK has already unwound, and that he sees the UK's unwinding as the preferred model for America's unwinding which is already well underway.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2,987 of 5,346
Quote:
I haven't begun the book as yet, but I saw the author interviewed on television. He indicated in the interview that the the UK has already unwound, and that he sees the UK's unwinding as the preferred model for America's unwinding which is already in well underway.

Was it C-Span Book Notes , I do admire that program and its in depth interviews with various authors of all stripes !

With the god awful 2xx+ channels from which to choose here , I find myself totally drawn to C-Span while surfing between sport and yet another shallow murder / action movie , the latter hardly ever being able to hold my cerebral attention the way a well done interview always seems to .  .

hip-hip-horray for C-Span !!! 

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #2,988 of 5,346
Quote:
I hope he goes to the better worlds he imagined.....

No disrespect or anything but I have always found a lot the sci fi he wrote fairly weak with the exception of "use of weapons" and "look to windward" in saying that its a clear step above "Leviathan wakes" and "Calibans war" by james a corey. I tend to find the older Sci-Fi more enjoyable like Doris Lessings "Ben in the world" and "Memoirs of a survivor" or Huxleys "brave new world". Also Phillip K Dicks "The man in the high castle" and "enders game" by Orson scott card is top notch. 

I see people mentioning G.R.R Martins Game of thrones which is an excellent achievement in fantasy but has anyone read "the dying of the light"? It is one of his earlier sci-fi works and a great read at that. I really liked that book - the second half of it is amazing! Also he has another short Sci - Fi story called "Sandkings" which is also brilliant! 

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #2,989 of 5,346
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't begun the book as yet, but I saw the author interviewed on television. He indicated in the interview that the the UK has already unwound, and that he sees the UK's unwinding as the preferred model for America's unwinding which is already in well underway.

Was it C-Span Book Notes , I do admire that program and its in depth interviews with various authors of all stripes !

With the god awful 2xx+ channels from which to choose here , I find myself totally drawn to C-Span while surfing between sport and yet another shallow murder / action movie , the latter hardly ever being able to hold my cerebral attention the way a well done interview always seems to .  .

hip-hip-horray for C-Span !!! 

I don't really remember...I think that it was either "The Daily Show," "The Colbert Report," or "Real Time With Bill Maher." I know that these are comedy shows, but the interviews, while concise, tend to provide an accurate idea of what the book is about...

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,990 of 5,346
51gxJeHLsEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #2,991 of 5,346
Quote:
I haven't begun the book as yet, but I saw the author interviewed on television. He indicated in the interview that the the UK has already unwound, and that he sees the UK's unwinding as the preferred model for America's unwinding which is already well underway.

I wouldn't doubt it for one moment. I need a beer.
frown.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #2,992 of 5,346
Quote:
No disrespect or anything but I have always found a lot the sci fi he wrote fairly weak with the exception of "use of weapons" and "look to windward" in saying that its a clear step above "Leviathan wakes" and "Calibans war" by james a corey. I tend to find the older Sci-Fi more enjoyable like Doris Lessings "Ben in the world" and "Memoirs of a survivor" or Huxleys "brave new world". Also Phillip K Dicks "The man in the high castle" and "enders game" by Orson scott card is top notch. 

I see people mentioning G.R.R Martins Game of thrones which is an excellent achievement in fantasy but has anyone read "the dying of the light"? It is one of his earlier sci-fi works and a great read at that. I really liked that book - the second half of it is amazing! Also he has another short Sci - Fi story called "Sandkings" which is also brilliant! 

Use Of Weapons is my favourite of Banks. I shall look into your other recommedations.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,993 of 5,346
These are the shortlist for the Hugo award in Sci - Fi for this year

1. 2312, Kim Stanley Robinson (Orbit)
  2. Blackout, Mira Grant (Orbit)
  3. Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance, Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)
  4. Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas, John Scalzi (Tor)
  5. Throne of the Crescent Moon, Saladin Ahmed

I might give "thrones of the crescent" moon a go but i have to read Abaddon's gate first. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2,994 of 5,346
Finished "the war of the end of the world" by mario Vargos Lyosa and now im half way through this -- - -- -

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #2,996 of 5,346
Kill Room by Jeffrey Deaver

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #2,998 of 5,346

This is a book by a lesser known author recommended for Dan Brown and Michael Crichton fans. For $3.99, I decided not to pass it up and I'm glad I didn't! Can't put it down!
Thanks JoeDoe.
I am a big Dan Brown fan and will have to check this out for sure.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,999 of 5,346
Quote:
I am re-reading 1984 by George Orwell.

Have you read George Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris And London"? Amazing narrative 

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #3,000 of 5,346
Quote:
Have you read George Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris And London"? Amazing narrative 

i have read both myself and they are great but huxleys "A brave new world" is the one for me! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back