Jan 31, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #2,284 of 5,346
n56695.jpg

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #2,285 of 5,346

Quote:
Quote:
The Odyssey - Allan Mandelbaum

Do you prefer that to Lattimore's?

I haven't read it. Any thoughts?

I've read Fitzgerald twice, once in '95 (along with Fagles' ver.) and again last year. Mandelbaum I've read about 5 times. 

Mandelbaum seems the less popular, but I have preferred his phrasings which sometimes show more clearly subtle emotions not readily seen in the other translations. Anyway, with patience I eventually enjoyed the 2nd reading of Fitzgerald, hence another go with Mandelbaum.

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #2,287 of 5,346
Quote:
The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein... pretty interesting

I haven't read the book, but saw the film made from it; yes, indeed definitely interesting. I'll have to read some of her books, aside those by Chomsky.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #2,289 of 5,346

Quote:

I haven't read it. Any thoughts?

I've read Fitzgerald twice, once in '95 (along with Fagles' ver.) and again last year. Mandelbaum I've read about 5 times. 

Mandelbaum seems the less popular, but I have preferred his phrasings which sometimes show more clearly subtle emotions not readily seen in the other translations. Anyway, with patience I eventually enjoyed the 2nd reading of Fitzgerald, hence another go with Mandelbaum.

Lattimore's translations of Illiad and Odyssey have never seemed lacking in my honest-to-God limited experience.  I've been told by professors that his translations follow the original texts most closely and I've pretty well taken their opinions, experiences as fact. I can't read a lick of Greek and I'm certainly no Schliemann. 

Lombardo's version has found its way onto my bookshelf and, from what i've read so far, certainly has a number of good things about it. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #2,290 of 5,346
I hardly read fiction anymore... Right now I'm reading "Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems, 2nd Edition" by Henry W. Ott
Good and interesting read, logical and easy to follow.

Before that I was reading "Audio Vision" by Michel Chion. I finished it before I found this thread; would've posted it then.
I enjoyed it. My original intention was to read part of it for a paper, but I ended up reading it to completion because it was so interesting.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that these are the books I read in my free time, not for any classes.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #2,294 of 5,346

Bit difficult to read, but I take new (to me) writing styles as a challenge. And it's only $2.99 on Amazon.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #2,295 of 5,346
Paul Auster - The invention of solitude

Users who are viewing this thread

Back