What book are you reading right now?
Feb 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #1,848 of 5,345
Quote:
Quote:
Sam Harris - The Moral Landscape

I liked Sam Harris before he came out with this book... admittedly I didn't read it all, I couldn't.

It's certainly quite different from his other 2, though it's surprising that your opinion of an author changes based on one book, assuming you enjoyed him before.  As with all authors, we rarely agree with every idea, disagreeing with one idea does not mean you must now disagree with all previous ones. :wink:  So far, I'm not liking his book as much, but he does present an interesting case.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,849 of 5,345
Quote:
It's certainly quite different from his other 2, though it's surprising that your opinion of an author changes based on one book, assuming you enjoyed him before.  As with all authors, we rarely agree with every idea, disagreeing with one idea does not mean you must now disagree with all previous ones. :wink:  So far, I'm not liking his book as much, but he does present an interesting case.

I found it to be a single-minded ad hominem attack on religion rather than science and reason like the approach of Dawkins or Hitchens. All this speculative talk of 'well-being', what does it even mean?

"it is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied" - Mill

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #1,851 of 5,345
Alien Bodies by Lawrence Miles, a Doctor Who novel. I've only just begun, but I've been reading it all night. Very addictive. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #1,852 of 5,345
Has anyone here read War and Peace? Thoughts? Is it worth soldiering through that book? One of the blogs I regularly follow has this challenge to finish the book in 2 months and I couldn't decide whether to commit to it or not. I've already downloaded the 7-hour Sergei Bondarchuk film adaptation so I guess I'll watch that in congruence with the book if ever.

Aside from that, I'm also reading Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell (so that I could watch the film - nominated for Best Pic - because one of my recent resolutions was to read the book first for as many novel-to-film adaptations as possible)

The most recent novel I finished reading was Charles Portis' True Grit, which was a really good book. Can't wait to see the Coen Bros adaptation when it comes out here.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #1,853 of 5,345
Nancy Kress Beggars in Spain.  A reread.  I love her brand of psy(chology) fi.  A trilogy.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,854 of 5,345
Greatness:
url

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #1,855 of 5,345

Quote:
^^ harry potter's  5th book 'order of phoenix' is the most boring book of harry potter series. Also i think that the end was very abrupt in deathly hallows.

True true! I wish Voldy vs Harry battle bit more longer. I mean, after all the awesomeness showed by Molly Weasley, Voldy-Harry battle is kind of....dull.
Oh yeah, I really hate the movie because they cut off Dobby's part (I'm looking at you, Harry Potter 4th movie!).

Btw, I'm reading Brandon Sanderson "Mistborn Trilogy" 3rd book right now. Vin is awesome! Go Vin! :D

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #1,856 of 5,345
George R. R. Martins "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, currently on the fourth book (and will soon be waiting impatiently for the fifth book). Honest to god amazing writing, it's been a while sense I've read a book that had me saying "well, only one more chapter" for 4 hours straight, absolute top notch Fantasy writing right here.

If you're a Fantasy lover and haven't read them, you owe it to yourself to sit down and start reading those books.

Quote:
^^ harry potter's  5th book 'order of phoenix' is the most boring book of harry potter series. Also i think that the end was very abrupt in deathly hallows.

Quote:
True true! I wish Voldy vs Harry battle bit more longer. I mean, after all the awesomeness showed by Molly Weasley, Voldy-Harry battle is kind of....dull.

A friend and I have completely different feelings on the ending of the last book. I personally found it anti-climatic, and frankly speaking felt like a cop out to what should have been an amazing ending. On the other hand my friend believes the ending was very well done and is how it should have ended. I understand what she wanted to do, it just feels as though something was missing.

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #1,860 of 5,345
I'm a fantasy genre fan, I think I'm gonna take a look :D. But not now for I kinda tired of more-than-three-books-epic-fantasy. I took a week break after finishing The Wheel of Time 11th book (or is it 12th?!). I think I'm gonna took several days break, too much death and sorrow from Mistsborn trilogy (I can't believe Vin die :frowning2:(). Maybe I'm gonna took some light reading, something not plot heavy, not character heavy, not as much death, and has some fun in it.

And, yes, I feel like there IS something missing, too, from Harry Potter's ending.

Quote:
George R. R. Martins "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, currently on the fourth book (and will soon be waiting impatiently for the fifth book). Honest to god amazing writing, it's been a while sense I've read a book that had me saying "well, only one more chapter" for 4 hours straight, absolute top notch Fantasy writing right here.

If you're a Fantasy lover and haven't read them, you owe it to yourself to sit down and start reading those books.

Quote:

Quote:

A friend and I have completely different feelings on the ending of the last book. I personally found it anti-climatic, and frankly speaking felt like a cop out to what should have been an amazing ending. On the other hand my friend believes the ending was very well done and is how it should have ended. I understand what she wanted to do, it just feels as though something was missing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back