What book are you reading right now?
Nov 4, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #1,292 of 5,348
"Thunderball" (1961), by Ian Fleming

thunderball.jpg

L3000.gif
popcorn.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #1,295 of 5,348
BES.jpg

Boris Bittker's Taxation of Corporations and Shareholders (With the all new 2009 supplement!)

I laughed
I cried
It became a part of me

Here is just one of the many riveting passages in this book:

"Section 362(a)(2) provides that the corporation's basis for property acquired as paid-in surplus or as a contribution to capital is the same as the transferor's basis, increased by gain recognized to the transferor on the transaction. This is the same result as applied by § 362(a)(1) to property received by the corporation in exchange for stock in a transaction under § 351. “Contribution to capital,” for purposes of § 362(a)(2), presumably has the same meaning as under § 118, [FN296] which meaning is informed by the reference of § 362(c)(1)(B) to a contribution “by a shareholder as such” (emphasis added). The meaning of “paid-in surplus” is more obscure. That term normally refers to property received by a corporation for the corporation's stock in excess of the stock's par value. [FN297] Since paid-in surplus can arise outside of § 351, it may be that § 362(a)(2) applies even to an exchange that is fully taxable to the shareholder. [FN298]"

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #1,297 of 5,348
Which way to the ecology movement By Murray Bookchin, along with a bunch of other books on ecology and environmentalism (university work). Not thrilling but I find Bookchin to be a good writer.
Next I have to start on books by John Rawls
When holidays start I can finally get to reading some non-fiction again
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #1,300 of 5,348
Started reading Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian, the whole 'old book with only one page not being blank' thing is sort of interesting, but I just read a review on Amazon and apparently the entire story is nothing more than a contrivance so the author can employ her considerable descriptive abilities.

Neal Stephenson's The Confusion is really dragging, I think even more so than Quicksilver!

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #1,301 of 5,348
I just started Tad William's To Green Angel Tower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back