What book are you reading right now?
Jul 9, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #1,126 of 5,355
I just finished Bill Bryson's books A Short History of Nearly Everything and Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe. The former was excellent and incredibly well researched, I was very impressed by it. The latter was rather entertaining, especially since I just got back from a school trip to Italy, although it seemed to drag a bit towards the end.

Currently I'm reading Bryson's book, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid: A Memoir. Another well told tale, I'll see how it finishes.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #1,127 of 5,355
Just finished Imager by L.E. Modesitt. Excellent book, great start to another series.

Currently catching up on the Dresden Files series, reading the latest two offerings by Jim Butcher, Small Favor and Turn Coat. He also has an illustrated novel done by someone, if you're into that. I looked at it briefly at the library the other week, seemed well done, but I don't have any experience in that realm.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #1,132 of 5,355
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently catching up on the Dresden Files series, reading the latest two offerings by Jim Butcher, Small Favor and Turn Coat.

Great series, those Harry Dresden books. I polished off the whole thing (except the current one, waiting for paperback) recently, and was very impressed. Great character development, great writing and storytelling, amazing he's kept it so alive, for so long.

I'm a serious book junkie, roughly 1 1/2 to 2 books a week. My favorite author is either Rex Stout (try "Before Midnight" or "Some Buried Caesar" but almost any Nero Wolfe will do) or Tim Powers (try "Drawing of the Dark" or "Last Call"), with Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder books (try "When the Sacred Ginmill Closes" or "A Long Line of Dead Men") in a close second. These are geniuses who make it look easy. Lately I've been re-reading W.E.B. Griffin's Brotherhood of War series.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #1,133 of 5,355
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great series, those Harry Dresden books. I polished off the whole thing (except the current one, waiting for paperback) recently, and was very impressed. Great character development, great writing and storytelling, amazing he's kept it so alive, for so long.

I'm a serious book junkie, roughly 1 1/2 to 2 books a week. My favorite author is either Rex Stout (try "Before Midnight" or "Some Buried Caesar" but almost any Nero Wolfe will do) or Tim Powers (try "Drawing of the Dark" or "Last Call"), with Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder books (try "When the Sacred Ginmill Closes" or "A Long Line of Dead Men") in a close second. These are geniuses who make it look easy. Lately I've been re-reading W.E.B. Griffin's Brotherhood of War series.

I enjoy Wolfe, Stout, and Griffin. I'll look the others up.

You probably have already, but look up Dick Francis. Great author, compelling stories.

Edit: Oh, why wait for paperback? Hie thee to the library.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #1,137 of 5,355
Im not allowed to say what im reading in this forum, but the original one(of this translation) was written in the year 1611 commissioned by King James of England, with 4 revisions until 1769 in Cambridge England, and then Oxford, from texts from Antioch Syria, translated from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek languages, later translations currupted by Alexandrian Egytpian manuscripts and Latin manuscripts and some found scrolls in caves.
Sounds really interesting huh? Seems like id be a really cultured guy to read such a book, but actually the book is quite common, but i cant say it.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #1,138 of 5,355
Sounds like a nice piece of fiction, but I wouldn't want to live my life by it...

I'm reading 'House of the Scorpion' by Nancy Farmer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not allowed to say what im reading in this forum, but the original one(of this translation) was written in the year 1611 commishioned by King James of England, with 4 revisions until 1769 in Cambridge England, and then Oxford, from texts from Antioch Syria, translated from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek languages, later translations currupted by Alexandrian Egytpian manuscripts and Latin manuscripts and some found scrolls in caves.
Sounds really interesting huh? Seems like id be a really cultured guy to read such a book, but actually the book is quite common, but i cant say it.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back