What book are you reading right now?
Oct 4, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #286 of 5,345
"The Diving Bell and The Butterfly" - Jean-Dominique Bauby ... Highly recommended - he is a quadriplegic who blinked it out

Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Against The Day - Thomas Pynchon

1/2 way thru this 1,085 page epic
biggrin.gif

I bet you've read Gravity's Rainbow? I liked that book - maybe I should check out Against The Day next.

Nov 25, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #289 of 5,345
I'm currently winding up [ONLY 100+ pages to go...] Richard Hoagland's The Monuments of Mars, 4th ed. It all started years ago with the "What" photo of the face. Now, years later in the narrative and at about page 370 and after almost giving up on the book, it got REALLY interesting: Hyperdimensional Physics. Do I understand it? No way - but it's fascinating.

Hoagland's new book, Dark Mission, I understand is a best seller. It may be my next read, though I rarely read any current best seller.

Laz

Nov 25, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #293 of 5,345
Procrastination - Jane Burka & Lenora Yuen

Got the book about 6 months ago but put off reading it to now ...
biggrin.gif

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

I love half/amazon for my books .. brand new copy for $4
cool.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #295 of 5,345
I'm reading Catch-22 right now. It's hilarious and everyone should read it.

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #296 of 5,345
Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough. She did for that story what the HBO series Rome did NOT do. THANK YOU for finishing (or continuing?) this series , Colleen McCullough.

Ever read The Thorn Birds? That book is child's play compared to her series of books on the fall of the Roman Republic - and no one notices. She's so underrated.

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #297 of 5,345
An awesome read!

scan0006gn7.png

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #300 of 5,345
A World of Art by H. M. Sayre.

51yOKkk4j9L._AA240_.jpg

This is a book about basic concepts of the visual arts and critical appraisal of art. The writing is clear and interesting; jargons and technical terms are illustrated with examples of works. I especially like the "Work in Progress" page spreads that appear in many chapters. Each discusses in detail how an artist conceptualise and create a particular work.

Although the author did make an attempt, in the introduction, to present a cross-cultural view, most of the examples throughout the book are modern American art. I for one welcome this: most of the artists are quite unknown, and their works are visually beautiful and conceptually sound. After all, there is never shortage of books on big European classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back