What book are you reading right now?
Sep 25, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #256 of 5,353
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wooo. I'm more or less a self-proclaimed Murakami aficionado.
cool.gif

The first book is "Hear the Wind Sing" followed by "Pinball." "A Wild Sheep Chase" is actually the third book book in "The Trilogy of the Rat" series. Unfortunately, if you can't read Japanese, getting your hands on "Hear the Wind Sing" runs $300 on average. The only English translation is from 1987 and was a novella for Japanese students learning English. Murakami refuses to release it outside of Japan.

I'd definitely recommend starting with his later and more acclaimed works like "Kafka on the Shore" or "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle." He comes into his own as a writer in either of those and they really hook you into becoming a fan of his. "The Elephant Vanishes" like Idsynchrono_24 recommends is also a good starting point to get a taste. It's a much easier read too.

Excerpt from http://www.thejohnfox.com/bookfox/20..._murakami.html RE: Hear the Wind Sing

"The most striking absence in the story is the magical realism for which Murakami is so well known. He remains, without much genre-blurring, in the concrete real of bars and bedrooms, cars and restaurants, and doesn't step outside to mess with character's shadow selves or discover parallel universes. In fact, the only hint of something outside "realism" is when the protagonist feels his "body overflowing with some strange energy" after sleeping on the beach with the Rat. Yet this energy is never brought up again. The lack of magical realism, interlaced with a number of familiar themes, makes the novella seem simultaneously Murakami-esque and Un-Murakami."

Thank you for the recommendations.
I did not know about "Hear the Wind Sing" nor "Pinball." If I had started with "HTWS" I probably would have dropped Murakami like a hot rock.

So it is not necessary to read Murakami in succession? No continuing character development? No hanging plot threads?
Although the "Sheep Chase" has me enthralled. His writing style is refreshing yet quarky ("...I am not a whale"). I'm mid-way through and I still don't where he's going.

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #259 of 5,353
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Making Money....Terry Pratchetts' new one. As usual, the man can do no wrong!

Your right about that, reading it myself at the moment.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #261 of 5,353
"Brief History of Taxes" by Charles Adams
Actually the book title is Good and Evil

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #262 of 5,353
We attended a speaking and book signing engagement with Terry Pratchett at a local bookshop.

So I will be reading our new copy of Making Money by same.

The guy is a real trouper. He signed/dedicated an average of four books for each of two hundred and sixteen people. He stopped about mid-way and soaked his hand in a bucket of ice water for a few minutes!

He's an entertaining speaker as well as an entertaining author.

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #265 of 5,353
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We attended a speaking and book signing engagement with Terry Pratchett at a local bookshop.

So I will be reading our new copy of Making Money by same.

The guy is a real trouper. He signed/dedicated an average of four books for each of two hundred and sixteen people. He stopped about mid-way and soaked his hand in a bucket of ice water for a few minutes!

He's an entertaining speaker as well as an entertaining author.

ARRRRGH! I'm so jealous...
mad.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #266 of 5,353
Quote:

ARRRRGH! I'm so jealous...
mad.gif

It was quite the lucky moment for us.

My wife and I were at Costco, shopping. Our daughter called us from the bookshop to tell us Terry Pratchett was about to speak in fifteen minutes. (My wife, my daughter, and our granddaughter are all avid Pratchett fans, and I've even read a few of his books.) We ended our shopping rather abruptly, making sure we had no perishables to worry about.

We hopped in the car and went directly to the bookshop. He was a delightful speaker and was interacting with the audience quite a lot. When he finished speaking, he started signing books. We were almost at the end of the line. We were 191 out of 216 people to have books signed. They probably sold twice that many of his newest work, "Making Money" that night. Sold out they did.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #267 of 5,353
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was quite the lucky moment for us.

My wife and I were at Costco, shopping. Our daughter called us from the bookshop to tell us Terry Pratchett was about to speak in fifteen minutes. (My wife, my daughter, and our granddaughter are all avid Pratchett fans, and I've even read a few of his books.) We ended our shopping rather abruptly, making sure we had no perishables to worry about.

We hopped in the car and went directly to the bookshop. He was a delightful speaker and was interacting with the audience quite a lot. When he finished speaking, he started signing books. We were almost at the end of the line. We were 191 out of 216 people to have books signed. They probably sold twice that many of his newest work, "Making Money" that night. Sold out they did.

You are real lucky....Nothing like that would ever happen here. I have all his books, and my 2 boys are reading the younger adult ones (you know, featuring the Wee Blue Men
tongue.gif
), but they haven't got into the Discworld stuff yet...(sorry for thread-crapping...this is just so cool to me!)

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #268 of 5,353
Quote:

You are real lucky....Nothing like that would ever happen here. I have all his books, and my 2 boys are reading the younger adult ones (you know, featuring the Wee Blue Men
tongue.gif
), but they haven't got into the Discworld stuff yet...(sorry for thread-crapping...this is just so cool to me!)

I would imagine that he does/did/will yet do book signings in NY. After all, here in Oregon, we're sort of at the end of the line, in the middle or end of proverbial nowhere. Nobody passes through Oregon on their way to anywhere else...almost.

Even though our granddaughter is only 10, she reads at a much higher level, appreciates Pratchett's whit & humor, and is an avid fan. She's certain to be a Pratchett fan for life now.
wink.gif
She was so thrilled to meet him and have her book signed by him. He spent quite some time chatting with her too while he was dedicating the book to her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back